how do i tighten leaking fitting

Feb 24, 2017
Australia
Hi there
what should i do to eliminate this recent leak in my pool plumbing pipework....
with this being horizontal - do i tighted to the right/downward? or upward left?? or should i being doing something else...
Cheers

Attachments

• IMG_8233.PNG
    IMG_8233.PNG
    414.6 KB · Views: 17
To tighten, rotate the collar clockwise if standing on the left of the pic and looking at the fitting.

These should only be done up hand tight - never use a tool to tighten.

You might want to undo the fitting first (release pressure in your system before you undo it..!) to check that the o-ring inside is seated correctly.

It may also be tight to undo as they tend to become tight (to undo) over time. In this case I use a large set of multi-grips (with a rag to prevent marring of the plastic) to undo them but never to do them up.

If pulling it open - lightly lubricate the o-ring with some o-ring safe silicon lube as this helps the seal seat & seal correctly.

Last edited:
It may also be tight to undo as they tend to become tight (to undo) over time. In this case I use a large set of multi-grips (with a rag to prevent marring of the plastic) to undo them but never to do them up.

Or use a Strap Wrench.

These should only be done up hand tight - never use a tool to tighten

my PB told me to reassemble all the unions hand tight PLUS 1/8th turn. It took me 5 years of fumbling all day with drips/leaks each spring before it hit me that my ‘hand tight’ was tighter than his. So I was unintentionally flattening my O-rings and then trying to tighten them even more which only made it worse. Now I just make it what i consider ‘snug’ and tighten slightly if that drips any. It’s easier to do less and add more slowly until it’s sealed.

It depends where it is in relation to the rest of the equiptment. Usually if its before the filter you get the glug-glugs as air gets sucked in and the filter drains away from you like normal operation. If you open after the filter, you'll get gravity forcing the water out of the filter and you will probaby get wet.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.