How do I lower TA without lowering PH?

lmrook

Jun 7, 2017
Langley, WA
We have had issues in past years of rising PH and needing to use something fairly regularly to keep it low enough to swim in. This year my PH has been good 7.2-7.5 range . . . but the Total Alkalinity was 140. I used Muriatic acid to lower the TA-- which brought it down to 110. But now my PH is 6.8. FC is 5, CC is 0, CYA is 60. Will the PH just rise on it's own? Do I need to reduce the TA even lower with more muriatic acid? Once I get it all settled-- is it a good idea to add the borates?

Why do you think you need to lower the TA? If you pH is stable then ignore the TA.

Only way to lower TA is by adding acid to drop your pH up about 7.2 and the aerating the water to raise the pH back up so you can add more acid.

Also, why do you think your pH needs to be that low to swim in? I keep my pH up around 8 at this point and it is fine because my water is balanced

Reactions: onBalance
I have been using the Pool Math app, and it says the "total recommended alkalinity is 60-80. Also, because we keep having to lower the PH (pool math says between 7.2 and 7.8) because at one point it was 8.2. And in years past, the PH will drift regularly.

Are you saying I don't need to concern myself at all with the TA?

Well pH will pretty much always drift up. As you keep knocking it back down your TA will lower (assuming your fill water is not high) and the pH drift will slow down. You can usually just ignore adjusting TA completely.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.