How do I get rid of foaming?

Charlie,

Get one of the recommended test kits. Post Haste. The accuracy and reliability alone will pay for itself.

You cannot slam successfully without one of these these test kits.

Without knowing your CYA, you cannot SLAM.

Just get one.

Use only these chemicals:

Don't use anything else.
(y)

You are wasting your time and money with any pool store test results or those from test strips.
You can not do a SLAM Process without one of the recommended test kits.

While waiting for your test kit to arrive, add 5ppm liquid chlorine daily to keep the algae at bay.

Reactions: Mdragger88
After 6 days of struggle, CC dropped to almost nonexistent, overnight FC delta is “0”, why I’m still having it?

Foam, foam, foam!!!
Are you kidding me?
No suggestion???

Attachments

• IMG_5061.jpeg
    IMG_5061.jpeg
    19.7 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_5062.jpeg
    IMG_5062.jpeg
    149.2 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_5064.jpeg
    IMG_5064.jpeg
    215.4 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_5065.jpeg
    IMG_5065.jpeg
    186.6 KB · Views: 13
The first thing you need is a proper test kit. Here are the kits we recommend...Link-->Test Kits Compared

When you get your test kit, post your numbers and follow this process to clear your pool. Should handle the algae and the foaming. Link-->SLAM Process

If there is something else off in the chemistry, we'll catch it when you post your numbers.
^^^This. From post #4.

Because you aren't doing it right. You apparently are avoiding getting the proper kit to give the most dependable test results. So you've wasted six days.
You also seem to be resisting following all the advice given previously. Those pictures show that you clearly have not adequately SLAMed your water. Should be no haze at all, no green on the steps. You still have a huge algae problem.
Without valid testing, you cannot ever know what your FC level is.
Get the proper test kit.
Get only liquid Cl for boosting your Cl. At least 3 cases to start.
Follow all the steps outlined in the links posted previously.
Periodically post your proper test results here, for continuing advice.
This will take time - maybe a week, maybe two.

Because you aren't doing it right. You apparently are avoiding getting the proper kit to give the most dependable test results. So you've wasted six days.
You also seem to be resisting following all the advice given previously. Those pictures show that you clearly have not adequately SLAMed your water. Should be no haze at all, no green on the steps. You still have a huge algae problem.
Without valid testing, you cannot ever know what your FC level is.
Get the proper test kit.
Get only liquid Cl for boosting your Cl. At least 3 cases to start.
Follow all the steps outlined in the links posted previously.
Periodically post your proper test results here, for continuing advice.
This will take time - maybe a week, maybe two.
Thank you!

You are right that I tried to avoid the question of getting the right kit.
Well, I thought I got several to corroborating each other.
This morning I measured again, indeed that my SLAM hasn't completed yet, TC = 3, FC = 1;
Now, what shock level should I go to? 20 ppm of FC?

Thank you!

You are right that I tried to avoid the question of getting the right kit.
Well, I thought I got several to corroborating each other.
This morning I measured again, indeed that my SLAM hasn't completed yet, TC = 3, FC = 1;
Now, what shock level should I go to? 20 ppm of FC?
Depends on what your cya truly is
FC/CYA Levels
The problem with not having an fas/dpd kit is that you can only aim for slam level fc - you cannot accurately MAINTAIN it (which is crucial to the process) nor can you verify that you achieved it & didn’t fall short (not as effective) or overshoot (bad for equipment & swimmers).
Stop 🛑 with xtra stuff (pool store potions 🧪)
Add 5ppm worth of liquid chlorine each day NOTHING ELSE until you get your kit & can accurately begin the
SLAM Process.
Note* The 5ppm is not the cure but it will help keep it from getting worse until your kit arrives & you can actually fix things.

Reactions: Newdude
What test kit are you using?
We don't offer help/advice unless you can provide accurate test results from one of the recommended test kits.
Test Kits Compared

In order to provide help/advice, we all need to be on the same page. Right now we aren't even using the same book.

A big clue that you aren't getting good results from your current testing - a reading of 79 for your CYA. Nothing is that accurate. Even the better testing really only gets you in the whole numbers 60-70-80, etc. It is the most subjective test, and can be a bit frustrating to get a close enough number, but a few repeats and reading the "how-to" tips on this site will get you a good result. But we've seen way too often that Pool Store results are wildly wrong, and can't ever be trusted as valid. Ditto for most automation readings. So while the recommended here may seem less precise, it is always better than any alternative. And it gives you a double check to compare to the results from other sources.

You are right, it's not that accurate 🤪
Well, that 79 CYA was coming from a stripe color reading App!
Now I am trying another App from Clorox called CLOROX POOL, which shows a CYA of 50 (see pic below). And I like it.

I got the point, based on the SLAM theory, shock chlorine level is determined by CYA & FC relationship.
By 1, 2, 3; --> Bang! I got 20 ppm of FC!!!!!! (Click here: Free Chlorine and Cyanuric Acid Relationship Explained)

Sounds about right.

Then I use POOL MATH, click FC calculation, oh the CYA has already factored in. Great, I need ~ 5G+1Qt 10% liquid chlorine!
I will do it and keep you guys posted!

Sincerely,
Charlie

Attachments

• 2.png
    2.png
    24.4 KB · Views: 3
  • 3.png
    3.png
    15.8 KB · Views: 2
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    178.6 KB · Views: 3
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
And I like it.
You are playing blind darts. The CYA is the most critical value because it decides the proper FC level accordingly.

You are throwing chemical money down the tubes by either not using enough, or risking damage by using too much.

My SLAM had that exact foam. Your foam is likely part of the initial algae battle. It's up to you how long you'd like to spin your wheels over an $80 test kit. You've spent more so far on wasted chemicals and other test methods.

Also, what kind of bleach do you use ? If it's household bleach and not liquid chlorine / liquid pool shock, it has polymers (scents / splashess/ chlorimax technology) and can cause foaming.

You are playing blind darts. The CYA is the most critical value because it decides the proper FC level accordingly.

You are throwing chemical money down the tubes by either not using enough, or risking damage by using too much.

My SLAM had that exact foam. Your foam is likely part of the initial algae battle. It's up to you how long you'd like to spin your wheels over an $80 test kit. You've spent more so far on wasted chemicals and other test methods.
Agreed, just thru the little dart for fun, haha. I may screw up, so how can I get worse at this point!

so how can I get worse at this point!
Algae grows exponentially, and the amount of chlorine needed goes up as with it. (Luckily not exponentially, but still, it aint cheap).

The best you can hope for right now is to try to not let it get any worse by adding 5ppm a day.

Or go try somebody else's way. But we don't know that way so YMMV. The road to TFP is paved far and wide from the other ways, but who am I to say ? :ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Reactions: PoolStored
The pool can/will get worse. Just bite the bullet already. Quit wasting time - it is in limited supply for all of us.

What test kit are you using?
We don't offer help/advice unless you can provide accurate test results from one of the recommended test kits.
Test Kits Compared

In order to provide help/advice, we all need to be on the same page. Right now we aren't even using the same book.

OK, so you're going your own way for testing. You may get lucky, and what you use will stumble you through to a clean, non foaming, pool. Unfortunately, blazing your own trail also means not as much help along the way. Not at all saying we won't try to advise, just that it may have to be limited, as it is less likely that someone will want to risk giving you bad advice based on previously proven unsure testing results. Hardest part may be for you ensuring you are keeping things at the proper Cl SLAM level, as none of your current test items can measure as high as it needs to be. And we've already discussed that your CYA testing may or may not be all that correct. Let us know how it goes!

Well, that 79 CYA was coming from a stripe color reading App!
Now I am trying another App from Clorox called CLOROX POOL, which shows a CYA of 50 (see pic below). And I like it.
There’s no app that will make the strips more accurate or reliable. Even if you “like” it better. They are all just interpretations of what color the strip pads are - strips are designed to only show ranges so that’s a huge problem right there.
You’re not doing the slam process- you’re dumping & praying.
You don’t know where you’re starting from nor where you will land - its all a guess.
A more expensive & possibly dangerous guess at that.
Its like dumping a bunch of stuff in a bowl without measuring, setting the oven to some random temperature & expecting delicious cookies. You may get lucky but probably not.
Whereas the way to ensure you get delicious cookies is to follow the recipe.
The SLAM Process is the recipe here!
But for it to work you must use the right tools & accurately follow the recipe.
If you do so you will get a beautiful oasis!
Like this
👇
How Clear is TFP Clear?

Reactions: Newdude
There’s no app that will make the strips more accurate or reliable. Even if you “like” it better. They are all just interpretations of what color the strip pads are - strips are designed to only show ranges so that’s a huge problem right there.
You’re not doing the slam process- you’re dumping & praying.
You don’t know where you’re starting from nor where you will land - its all a guess.
A more expensive & possibly dangerous guess at that.
Its like dumping a bunch of stuff in a bowl without measuring, setting the oven to some random temperature & expecting delicious cookies. You may get lucky but probably not.
Whereas the way to ensure you get delicious cookies is to follow the recipe.
The SLAM Process is the recipe here!
But for it to work you must use the right tools & accurately follow the recipe.
If you do so you will get a beautiful oasis!
Like this
👇
How Clear is TFP Clear?
Yes, you are very kind. My own assessment just like drive a loaded (hopefully bleach) truck into the pool and hope to kill all the screaming algae and bacteria!
Indeed, Chlorine has been used as chemical weapon during the WWII. Huh huh, wish me good luck!

I can't let this go - one app shows you at 79, another shows you at 50. So go to 20 or 31 for SLAM? Did you just waste $30-40 by putting too little in? Nobody can tell you.....
I will take it CYA of 50. My understanding is:
Keep pool water clear is actually a very straight forward job, threw a bunch of disinfectant (in this case it's the chlorine, or TC/FC) into the pool, it will stop the algae growth, pure and simple.

But, the trouble is how much! Too much will bleach your swimming pants, too little will not kill the bugs.
Seemingly simple job will frustrated enough to puzzle the PhD student, firstly because it's entangled with the pH. The potency of chlorine is depended upon the acidity or basicity of the pool water.

Secondly, the sun light will decompose the chlorine, therefore, this is how the famous cyanuric acid (CYA), the "chelation agent" come into the picture.

Cyanuric acid / Formula
C
HNO

CYA has 3 nitrogen atoms, which can form complexes with chloride atoms to "Shield" them away from UV deposition, so it also reduces the effectiveness of chlorine. Put it simply -- it bonds to the chlorine to reduce the amount of FC (free chlorine) present in the pool water.

Okay, by saying so much "mumbo-jumbo" won't help much unless you realize that: high pH is not good and you need some CYA, but high CYA will also "lock up" your TC to form CC, which also decrease the effectiveness of your disinfectant. So there must a balance of the whole thing, that's the point. (Well, there still other stuff like alkalinity, Fe, Cu, P to concerned with but they are minor things). If you managed to get your FC between 1 ~ 3 ppm, you are all set!!

Now, let's come back to the question of how important the CYA really is? Well, if you are in somewhere not so much sun, you can use less or forget about it all together! For instance, if I have an in-door pool, I don't need it, because it tight up my FC which force me to dump more bleach to kill the bacteria. So, CYA can be as little as 0 - 20. Well, if I am in Texas or California or Florida, I can use more of that stuff. Well, you can put 80 to 120 ppm. If you ask me if CYA is that critical, my answer would be: probably not! If I don't use it or use less ----- it probably means every day I dump more bleach into the water to compensate the UV loss of chlorine! That only means being a fool that I waste some money to it, that's all. You will figure out pretty soon go up a little with CYA will save you money!!!! That's all there is to it, my friends! The experts even don't agree from each other on how much CYA you really need, so don't put too much, because it eventually will lock up your chlorine that no matter how much BLEACH you pour into the pool, it still won't stop your algae boom, then you are in a big problem!!!! So using too much of it is really a bad thing from this point of view. Furthermore, the chlorine tablet has tons of that stuff mixed in, that's why a lot of people can easily get too much of it into their pool without knowing it. It's a pain on the Rear, because in order to get rid of it you have drain some water and replace some fresh water, which is something I really reluctant to do.

All on all, regardless how inaccurate the numbers are, showing variety of the numbers, varying from 50, 70 or even 100 of CYA, well the upper bound I heard is 120, will that cause a deadly error, messing up my pool? I really don't think so.

Being bold and having some fun my friends!

Lastly, my very "accurate" numbers pulled just this morning. Looking forward to your comments!

Attachments

• 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.