How bad are these deck cracks?

Jnet

Gold Supporter
Bronze Supporter
Mar 15, 2017
Chicago/Northwest, IL
I'm starting my third year with this pool. The deck was allegedly ground down, repaired and reapplied before we bought the house. I'm seeing cracks developing along the perimeter, about 10" from the coping. How bad is this? It was also replastered and I don't see any issues in the pool.

Attachments

• IMG_20190626_061358869.jpg
    IMG_20190626_061358869.jpg
    515 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_20190626_061856047.jpg
    IMG_20190626_061856047.jpg
    513.5 KB · Views: 83
It’s not that bad, but it’s not good either. Problem being, every winter that goes by, those will get worse due to snow and ice. The more you stay on top of it with patch/repair, the longer it will hold up.

there are two types of concrete. one that has already cracked and one that will eventually crack. they do make some repair kits and you'll need to clean out what is there already and most likely cut a little deeper into your current concrete. the two part epoxy's are what I'd be looking at.

It looks to me like the cracks are following the pool bond beam. That coping should be floating above the pool structure and not attached to the pool. The deck and pool need to move independently. If they are mortared or grouted together something will crack.

There was a pretty good gap between the coping and the top of the tile, so it looks like it's floating. I filled it with backer rod and silicone caulk last year to minimize wash out. It looks like I can clean up the edge of the crack with a hand grinder and diamond blade and the apply some epoxy patch. Does that sound about right? The pool is about 30 years old, so I'm expecting a big repair at some point in the future.

Fairly common for concrete decks to be coped right over the edge, it floats. Clients usually aren’t willing to pay the extra bucks to have it properly done, hence the cracks. Personally I would fill them in, any place that water gets into and freezes is bad news come spring. The romans knew their stuff!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.