How are my fellow Texans doing this morning lol

I'm just curious... Did anyone just remove the plugs, drain the equipment and leave the lids off the pumps, etc and actually fair well through the freeze? I wondered if that was the best route through all of it vs. trying to keep it running all the time with rolling blackouts or in my case, no power for longer periods.. Also did anyone remove the site glass off the compool two way check valves as well?
Yes, when the power went out, I removed the plugs from the pump and cartridge filter, and thereby drained the water. Everything survived, and the water is clear and nice now. Just a bit too cold for a swim at this time though. I'll wait another week or two until the temps stabilize.

Any thoughts on what we all could do better to protect the equipment from future weather events?
For example, should we be insulating the pipes?
I still think your best bet is to keep water running through the pipes, generally via freeze protection. But also know your equipment and have a solid plan to quickly drain your equipment if needed.

I haven't seen reports of any damage from people who drained quickly after the power outage, it was only those who didnt drain or slept through the blackouts.

haven't seen reports of any damage from people who drained quickly after the power outage, it was only those who didnt drain or slept through the blackouts
Well the other big issue was that it wasn’t normal water freezing. It was water that had been kept from freezing by circulation. So it was already several/many degrees below freezing when the power went out. Instead of taking hours to freeze it took 30 minutes with that big head start.

I wish we had drained our pipes, but as a brand new pool owner, we didn't (and still don't) know how to drain them. We finally got our gas heater manifold replaced today ($450). It was spraying out water like crazy after the freeze. Next time we will drain. Our electricity was off several times for over 12 hrs.

Well the other big issue was that it wasn’t normal water freezing. It was water that had been kept from freezing by circulation. So it was already several/many degrees below freezing when the power went out. Instead of taking hours to freeze it took 30 minutes with that big head start.
Very true. I sleep with the fan going, even when it is that cold outside. I got lucky and woke up at 2:30 AM when we had our first power outage since it was eerily quiet. I think the tarp over the equipment pad helped buy me some time too before stuff started freezing, and luckily the power came back on literally as I was grabbing my tools and flashlight to start draining stuff.

Once our blackouts started lasting more than 30-45 mins at a time, and I was freakin exhausted from breaking ice/babysitting my pool for 18 hours, I finally gave up and pulled the plug on everything. If there ever is a next time, I would pull the plug on all of the equipment much sooner.

We had days of notice that it would get as cold as it did for as long as it did. Most of us relied on keeping the water circulating to avoid freeze damage. It would have worked if the power had stayed on. No one counted on power outages lasting days at a time. Next time we get word of a big freeze event, don't trust that the power will stay on. Drain the surface equipment and pipes and hope for the best.

I wish we had drained our pipes, but as a brand new pool owner, we didn't (and still don't) know how to drain them. We finally got our gas heater manifold replaced today ($450). It was spraying out water like crazy after the freeze. Next time we will drain. Our electricity was off several times for over 12 hrs.
I get your situation completely, and every part of the pool system was mysterious at first. I embarked on a mission to map the entire pool system, and this has proved invaluable especially during the winter storm.

To start with, I suggest that you: (i) identify the pump's brand name and model number, look up its manual online, and note down how to drain it (usually you have to unscrew a small roughly 1-inch plug at the base of the pump); and (ii) identify the water filter's brand and model, and locate its drain plug (naturally, you should expect it to be close to the base of the filter). You can do this same thing for other components, notably, the pool heater, in-line chlorinator, etc.

Do remember to keep a decent flashlight, basic tools, gloves, etc. handy in case this stuff has to be done at night!

There are more expert members on this forum who can shine more light on this topic. In the interim, here is the link to a YouTube description of crisis-mode equipment draining:

In the future, I am leaning towards pre-emptively draining my equipment before the big freeze, instead of the last-minute brinkmanship.

Finally, I wish the equipment manufacturers start listening to non-expert users like us, and redesign the systems to make the key parts like drain plugs easier to find. To start with, put a sticker with EMERGENCY PROCEDURES, label the drain plugs, make them all similar in size and shape so one does not need multiple tools to operate them, and manufacture the plugs in brightly colored materials instead of black. Make the knobs big and easy to locate. How about bright yellow :).

Perhaps, they could make all of the draining happen at the press of a button :)

The possibilities for progress are endless.

Last edited:
I get your situation completely, and every part of the pool system was mysterious at first. I embarked on a mission to map the entire pool system, and this has proved invaluable especially during the winter storm.

To start with, I suggest that you: (i) identify the pump's brand name and model number, look up its manual online, and note down how to drain it (usually you have to unscrew a small roughly 1-inch plug at the base of the pump); and (ii) identify the water filter's brand and model, and locate its drain plug (naturally, you should expect it to be close to the base of the filter).

Do remember to keep a decent flashlight, basic tools, gloves, etc. handy in case this stuff has to be done at night!

There are more expert members on this forum who can shine more light on this topic. In the interim, here is the link to a YouTube description of crisis-mode equipment draining:

In the future, I am leaning towards pre-emptively draining my equipment before the big freeze, instead of the last-minute brinkmanship.

Finally, I wish the equipment manufacturers start listening to non-expert users like us, and redesign the systems to make the key parts like drain plugs easier to find. To start with, put a sticker with EMERGENCY instructions, label the drain plugs, make them all similar in size and shape so one does not need multiple tools to operate them, and manufacture the plugs in brightly colored plastic instead of black. Make the knobs big and easy to locate. How about bright yellow :).

this is great!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

To start with, I suggest that you: (i) identify the pump's brand name and model number, look up its manual online, and note down how to drain it (usually you have to unscrew a small roughly 1-inch plug at the base of the pump); and (ii) identify the water filter's brand and model, and locate its drain plug (naturally, you should expect it to be close to the base of the filter).

Finally, I wish the equipment manufacturers start listening to non-expert users like us, and redesign the systems to make the key parts like drain plugs easier to find. To start with, put a sticker with EMERGENCY instructions, label the drain plugs, make them all similar in size and shape so one does not need multiple tools to operate them, and manufacture the plugs in brightly colored plastic instead of black. Make the knobs big and easy to locate. How about bright yellow :).

Thank you! Great ideas. We will do our homework and be better prepared next winter.

Reactions: TexasBR
Just wanted to check in with everyone on your landscaping. We didnt have anything too out of the ordinary for our climate, but man we look like we lost a bunch of shrubs.

My Indian hawthorns look like they may survive, but everything above the ground looks like it is dead so it will take a few seasons for them to recover. My oak trees are in shock and lost all of their leaves, but are starting to bud out. We had a whole hedge row of some sort of purple/green shrubs along the front of the house that the builder put in and they all look like they are a lost cause. It is too early to tell on the crepe myrtles, lantana, and bottle brush, but I'm hoping those survived.

I'm hoping I can get my yard looking half way normal again for under $1k. That storm is the gift that keeps on giving.

For the most part my landscaping was ok. I have about 15 Eagleston Hollies(just planted 4 months ago) and 3-4 of them lost a significant amount of leaves. They will make it and have already shown signs of recovery. My Magnolias did not experience any issues as well as my evergreens.

Finally put my equip back together and started it up yesterday successfully. (y) Too bad I have a leak, probably in the light niche, that I don't know how long it will take to get someone to fix it. Water level is stabilized about a foot below skimmer, so starting chem balancing now. I'd been running the robot periodically, manually skimming and tossing in chlorine since the freeze to keep the water clear.

Just wanted to check in with everyone on your landscaping. We didnt have anything too out of the ordinary for our climate, but man we look like we lost a bunch of shrubs.

My Indian hawthorns look like they may survive, but everything above the ground looks like it is dead so it will take a few seasons for them to recover. My oak trees are in shock and lost all of their leaves, but are starting to bud out. We had a whole hedge row of some sort of purple/green shrubs along the front of the house that the builder put in and they all look like they are a lost cause. It is too early to tell on the crepe myrtles, lantana, and bottle brush, but I'm hoping those survived.

I'm hoping I can get my yard looking half way normal again for under $1k. That storm is the gift that keeps on giving.

Our pool fared fine as we never lost power for more than 20 minutes or so (crazy lucky!). It ran continuously through the entire freeze.
Our landscaping, on the other hand, did not fare so well. We had a number of Japanese Blueberry bushes and trees as hedge around the perimeter of the pool, as well as some Loquat trees. The Japanese Blueberries lost all their leaves and look pretty dead. I have spent the whole weekend cutting them back all the way to the trunks / stubs. The wood there still looks alive, but it will take a few years now I think for those to fill in again and many years until they get as tall as before. The Loquat trees seem to have survived, but several branches and all the tips are dead and needed to be removed. Basically, our pool oasis is going to be pretty bare this year until things start to fill in again.... so sad.

Tex - if you're in the DFW area, the crepe myrtles may make it but I'm sorry to say that the bottle brush is almost certainly lost. Those are all completely dead down here in HTX.

We lost 2 huge double yucca trees, sadly. I'm not sure about the potted triple one just yet. One trunk is gone for sure. Still waiting on a new Pentair filter. Replaced VS pump, valves and the whole unit that you turn to backwash, rinse etc. Expensive little freeze we had there. I'm thankful it wasn't the house pipes that froze. Many had it worse than we did. I told Mike yesterday all this pool brushing is hurting my pitching arm... he didn't feel sorry for me one bit.

Attachments

• F2C7F7FC-A1F0-4A8B-A0E0-009922953C6B_1_201_a.jpeg
    F2C7F7FC-A1F0-4A8B-A0E0-009922953C6B_1_201_a.jpeg
    432.1 KB · Views: 4
  • 66584179-22CE-41A4-9B0E-B19EA00AF390_1_201_a.jpeg
    66584179-22CE-41A4-9B0E-B19EA00AF390_1_201_a.jpeg
    845.4 KB · Views: 4
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.