How are my fellow Texans doing this morning lol

Going good here. I covered the equipment yesterday. This morning I noticed a bit of ice on the surface so I bumped up the rpms.
I also am worried that I’ll need to add water in the next few days since it seems to be evaporating more than normal. I may unwrap the hose bib and add some water this afternoon.

In Helotes, TX just outside San Antonio. same.. still running pumps full time.
all is good so far...

we are expecting snow/ice late this evening into tomorrow AM. I also have blankets over the equipment and a tarp around my pool equipment.

Hey I am in Little Elm at Frisco Hills. I saw you were in Prosper!
Yep I am going to keep pushing through.
Plan is to kill breaker, drain pump, booster, filter, open valves and put some styrofoam from a project I did recently in the skimmers if it goes to Crud.
But still holding lol.

That’s my plan too. A buddy of mine pulled the plug and drained his equipment yesterday. He said it was about 15 mins of work. Hopefully we don’t have to find out.

Reactions: Krysib
I also am worried that I’ll need to add water in the next few days since it seems to be evaporating more than normal.
Many may see this issue crop up soon. Letting the level get too low and starving the pump could be a real issue. Also the freezing of the weir door. Evaporation will be very high with your water above freezing and air temperature in single digits.

Going good here. I covered the equipment yesterday. This morning I noticed a bit of ice on the surface so I bumped up the rpms.
I also am worried that I’ll need to add water in the next few days since it seems to be evaporating more than normal. I may unwrap the hose bib and add some water this afternoon.
We’ve got serious evaporation issues, too. Trying to figure out if it’s the ice formation? We don’t have a ton of ice yet but are trying to figure out a safe way to fill the pool a few inches. We have covers on outdoor spigot. I’m afraid to pull water from those.

Edited to say that I just read mknauss’s post about evaporation. Thanks for that.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I ran autofill yesterday after it warmed a bit, but seeing the effects of evaporation already. Really don't want to push my luck with running it again or trying to use outside spigot.
Will keep an eye on pool level for sure.

I have had a crazy thought of running hose from washer spigot. Have a lengthy hose in garage that isn't frozen. Is just at thought for now....

Reactions: PaigeMark
I use the same heater to heat the spa when it is cold. How do the metal surfaces "know" that I am warming up the pool a bit?
The spa volume is small and the water temperature will get to above 68F relatively quickly and thus the condensation that corrodes the heat exchanger will not be as damaging.

Reactions: PaigeMark
I'm not far from you (West Frisco-The Trails) & I'm seriously concerned. We have lived here since 2009 so we've experienced freezing temps before. I wasn't too concerned because freeze protect has never failed us, until now. Went out yesterday late afternoon to empty skimmers and bump up RPMs and it was already too late. My display said freeze protect was on but the pump was not running & there was ice in the pump basket. I called our friend who is a pool builder and he said I was the 9th person to call him yesterday with the exact same issue. He said to turn it off to prevent burning up the motor but there's not much we can do, besides sit and wait. My pool looks like an ice skating rink today. Does anyone have any idea how much this might cost us??? Range of possible repairs?? So I can start to mentally prepare.

Does anyone have any idea how much this might cost us??? Range of possible repairs?? So I can start to mentally prepare.
The big ticket items will be the heater, the pump, and the filter. Also if any underground lines that are covered by your deck get damaged. Those are less likely. Not draining the pool equipment puts them at great risk. Not much you can do now.

Reactions: imrodee and Jane S
I'm not far from you (West Frisco-The Trails) & I'm seriously concerned. We have lived here since 2009 so we've experienced freezing temps before. I wasn't too concerned because freeze protect has never failed us, until now. Went out yesterday late afternoon to empty skimmers and bump up RPMs and it was already too late. My display said freeze protect was on but the pump was not running & there was ice in the pump basket. I called our friend who is a pool builder and he said I was the 9th person to call him yesterday with the exact same issue. He said to turn it off to prevent burning up the motor but there's not much we can do, besides sit and wait. My pool looks like an ice skating rink today. Does anyone have any idea how much this might cost us??? Range of possible repairs?? So I can start to mentally prepare.

After you turn off the breaker, open the lid and remove any drain plugs you may find. My gut says it didn’t freeze solid and taking action now may help you out.

Wow, your pool builder "friend" gave you horrible advice. Is your pump frozen solid? I would still try to open up the drain plugs on your pump, filter, heater, etc to try to drain the water hopefully save your equipment.

Aledo, TX

I to wrapped towels and a tarp over the equipment. I also wrapped 30ft of heat tape around the plumbing used for deicing gutters I got off amazon.

PXL_20210214_165501636.jpg
Not sure Flamingo is going to make it.

Evaporation is insane this waterfall and spillover aren't doing me any favors. I filled it last night and this morning. I brought a kinkless hose inside so it doesn't freeze up when I have to use the spigot on the back porch. Then I cover the spigot back up when I am done.

PXL_20210214_165454738.MP.jpg

Reactions: imrodee and Jane S

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.