Houston, TX Pool Build Diary - From Design to Dive-In

That is very nice tile. We came close to something similar but the adder was way to much($2700 for the pool/spa). And we weren't bold enough.

Lightstream: * Lightstreams Gold Iridescent Collection Steel Blue Glass Tile

00_pg_gold_iridescent_steel_blue_lightstreams_glass_tile_11_w.jpg

That is gorgeous though! I wonder how much it would be for just the spa. I may have to ask!

Don't know the total line item cost yet, but the tile price we now know is $35/sq foot.

We had all of our original builder bids put in a $20/sq foot allowance for all wet tile, so this is not too big of a shock to the budget. We are still waiting to see the full change order price for it though before we make a decision. I tried to do some quick math and it's amazing how much square surface footage is in an 8x8 spa once you start looking at the outside AND inside... What I am hoping is that we can find waterline tile (which will be a different tile) for $15/sq ft to help offset at least a little of the total budget price change for this.

plat.

Don't know the total line item cost yet, but the tile price we now know is $35/sq foot.

We had all of our original builder bids put in a $20/sq foot allowance for all wet tile, so this is not too big of a shock to the budget. We are still waiting to see the full change order price for it though before we make a decision. I tried to do some quick math and it's amazing how much square surface footage is in an 8x8 spa once you start looking at the outside AND inside... What I am hoping is that we can find waterline tile (which will be a different tile) for $15/sq ft to help offset at least a little of the total budget price change for this.

plat.

Yeah.. you think ~8ft diameter is a 25ft circumference, and at ~2ft high interior + exterior and top that is easily +100sqft of til x $15.. ouch! It adds up quick!

plat.

I know were a town a way I would help you with tile subs if it helped as well as a tile discount through a major reseller in houston through a business account of mine. Let me know. I would look at the option to at least see.

Thanks for the offer. I think we're OK with the price given though. NPT is expensive, there's just no way around it. If we could find something we liked as much as this one, we'd look at the option (assuming it was cheaper). The price our builder quoted is cheaper than any online pricing we could find and it's also WELL under NPT's MSRP which is totally ridiculous. One of the online places we called to check pricing said they could give our builder wholesale pricing but he couldn't tell us what it was. I asked him if he could at least confirm if it was under $40/sq ft and he said it was but I could tell by the way he said it that it wasn't by much.

Thanks!!
plat.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

That is the lifeline allowing me to post right now. Neighbors were nice enough to let us tap power off of them for the day while our electrical service is cut and moved. It's turned into quite an undertaking. The pool eats up most of the remaining yard space so there is only a small section to run the new trench through. There also happened to be 2 tree stumps right by the trench. It was decided that pulling the stumps might also pull the conduit out of the new trench. So we're going to have to run a temporary above ground service until next week after the dig at which point it can then be buried.

Dig date is Wed Feb 24 right now. It's been a bone dry winter here in Houston and of course the week we are supposed to dig the forecast says rain Monday & Tuesday so we won't have a full week to build the hole....

We also came to the realization after a final meet with the builder on Thursday that we HAVE to get the travertine picked out this weekend so we know for sure the thickness it will be so the new deck can mate up to the existing patio with no lip at the edge and also give us the right waterline height. We also need to pick the 3 floating steps so the thickness can be taken into account. We're kind of frantic right now because we're up on a deadline and this weekend is it.

plat.

That is gorgeous though! I wonder how much it would be for just the spa. I may have to ask!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your tile choices are very nice!

- - - Updated - - -

Your tile choices are very nice! Is that Walnut Travertine?

The power company was late by almost 4 hours to start for our power cut. Our electricians ended up having to work late into Friday night. We finally had power restored a little after 8pm. We ended up stringing that power cord from the neighbors down to the living room to run the TV, broke out the emergency lanterns and ordered pizza for us and the electricians. At least that is mostly done now.

We spent 8 hours this weekend in a mad dash driving around town looking at travertine and rocks for the floating steps and the waterfall. We finally decided on Colorado travertine and brought some samples home. Picture below of it placed against the existing patio tile. We're doing 16x24 to match the existing subway pattern. There won't be a step down. The pool deck will be level with the existing patio. We will be installing some kind of deck drainage channel at the transition line between the two materials and we're hoping that will help visually with the 1/2 tile ends from each side. The coping will be eased edge 5cm.

The next thing we need to figure out are the floating steps. Most of that 8 hours we spent looking was a waste other than finalizing on the travertine. At one point (out of desperation) we decided we could do natural boulders instead of the cut bluestone like we planned. Nobody has cut bluestone (or any bluestone it seems) here in Houston even though our landscape architect got us a step made out of this material when we did the patio. When we got home and looked at the plan, we realized that boulders just won't work. The steps have to be too uniform to work in the space we have for them. Here is a picture of our existing bluestone step we really need to copy. I sent the landscape guy an email asking him if he could dig up his supplier for that for me.... We're going to have to get this figured out with the builder.

Also just to show how crazy the weather has been this winter in Houston, here is a banana flower. This isn't too common on the north side of town. Usually bananas freeze down each year up here and have to regrow each spring. I'm going to try and do everything I can to save it, but this one is right next to the dig. I think it would be kind of cool to have real bananas hanging over the raised beam wall!

plat.

Nobody has cut bluestone (or any bluestone it seems) here in Houston....

That's because we hoard it all up here in the Mid-Atlantic and Northeast. It's nice and I guess we could share, but...

Actually, I am surprised that it isn't more available for the reason that it's a very dense stone and nice alternative to softer OK flagstone. However it get's HOT, HOT, HOT. So maybe that's why. That and freight costs. But how much more expensive can it be than bringing travertine from Turkey?

Hey buddy, Hows it going. That stone your referencing check earth friendly stone store in Humble by your house. I was just looking at something very similar yesterday. They have an awesome rainbow stone by the way just ask to see it while your there.

Good luck

Love the travertine pick. That is going to look really nice with the patio. I was hoping banana trees would do well here! Good to know they will. That's awesome. Will the bananas fall into the pool though? Those are the inedible ones aren't they?

That's because we hoard it all up here in the Mid-Atlantic and Northeast. It's nice and I guess we could share, but...

Actually, I am surprised that it isn't more available for the reason that it's a very dense stone and nice alternative to softer OK flagstone. However it get's HOT, HOT, HOT. So maybe that's why. That and freight costs. But how much more expensive can it be than bringing travertine from Turkey?

The way we are using them, it's just 3 steps and really is a pure aesthetics thing. Nobody will be hanging out on them ever I don't think. Access into the pool for the most part will not even require crossing them since the sun shelf area is in front of them. Funny about the freight from Turkey. Quantity discount I guess....

Hey buddy, Hows it going. That stone your referencing check earth friendly stone store in Humble by your house. I was just looking at something very similar yesterday. They have an awesome rainbow stone by the way just ask to see it while your there.

Good luck

Thanks badcrc. Coincidentally enough, Earth Friendly was our very first stop. Great selection, but no bluestone unfortunately.

Thanks!
plat.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.