Hot tub moving - is this idea good bad or ugly?

Just checking: Was that deck built specifically to hold a hot tub? Normal decks are not strong enough to safety support a filled hot tub.
The back corner where the tub will go has additional concrete piers with 4x4 posts attached to the joists every 30”. About 11 additional supports as I recall. Also some additional perpendicular braces were added as well.

Reactions: jseyfert3
We are going to go with the PVC rail system idea to go from street to backyard. Getting it on to the porch well we are still working that bit out. I am 100% confident we can "rail" it from street to deck w/o too much hassle.

We are probably doing the 2x4 move method to load on and off the trailer. Tub is 7 feet square 10 foot long 2x4s should be fine giving us roughly 18" of board to hold on to on each side or should we just go with 12 footers? Just wondering if the 12 footers can handle the weight ok.

Get the 12’s and double them up ? It would add a lot of strength for only a little more weight. What’s 600 lbs when you already had 588 ? Lol.

Okay.. I am not going to sound like my normal Fred self.. but..

If there is a hot tub sales place in the destination, they can probably give you names of a couple of crews you can hire to help. I think having adequate help on the other end might be worth the money. Those guys will offer to take "care" of the tub for you but don't seem to get offended when you decline as their main business is moving the tubs. Cheap insurance honestly. Especially if you have to take it over a wall, fence or other obstacle.. they do that schtuff all the time and have insurance if they damage your tub.

As far as shoring up the deck.. it's a VERY good idea to look into. If you are mechanically minded it should be relatively easy to overkill the deck to support even several thousand pounds. However, I'd do it because most decks I've seen barely support their own weight. This, too is cheap insurance. If anything it will make the deck less "bouncy" and that's good when using the tub.

I probably am going to take my tub when I move (when? who knows? I am considering it now).. and I want to follow this thread .. best of luck and enjoy....

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Okay.. I am not going to sound like my normal Fred self.. but..

If there is a hot tub sales place in the destination, they can probably give you names of a couple of crews you can hire to help. I think having adequate help on the other end might be worth the money. Those guys will offer to take "care" of the tub for you but don't seem to get offended when you decline as their main business is moving the tubs. Cheap insurance honestly. Especially if you have to take it over a wall, fence or other obstacle.. they do that schtuff all the time and have insurance if they damage your tub.

As far as shoring up the deck.. it's a VERY good idea to look into. If you are mechanically minded it should be relatively easy to overkill the deck to support even several thousand pounds. However, I'd do it because most decks I've seen barely support their own weight. This, too is cheap insurance. If anything it will make the deck less "bouncy" and that's good when using the tub.

I probably am going to take my tub when I move (when? who knows? I am considering it now).. and I want to follow this thread .. best of luck and enjoy....

Thanks I have been checking crews for over a week as I thought I was getting a tub locally. Even with just needing a move to the backyard from front they still want $500 to show up.

As far as the deck goes the back corner where the tub will go has additional concrete piers with 4x4 posts attached to the joists every 30”. About 11 additional supports as I recall. Also some additional joists and perpendicular braces were added as well.

Reactions: newdude
The back corner where the tub will go has additional concrete piers with 4x4 posts attached to the joists every 30”. About 11 additional supports as I recall. Also some additional perpendicular braces were added as well.
Perfect. Just checking.

For those not aware, the reason I was checking is that here in Wisconsin decks must be built to support 40 pounds per square foot live loads (minimum) plus any dead loads. Most general purpose decks do not have and are not designed for dead loads. My 450 gallon tub is 7'x7', or 49 square feet, so over an area of 49 square feet at 40 pounds per square foot you can support just under 2000 pounds. But 450 gallons of water is 3735 pounds. Add in another 500-600 pounds for the tub itself, plus if you have 6 people at 200 lbs/each and you're over 5500 pounds, or getting close to three times as much weight as the deck was built to handle. This is why it's critically important to only ever put a spa on a deck specifically designed for holding this load.

Actually the deck must support the 40 pounds per square foot live load on top of any dead load, so a properly built deck for a spa needs to be for my tub example would need something around 90 pounds/square foot dead load plus 40 pounds/square foot live load or at least 130 pounds/square foot, or 3.25 times more than a general purpose deck.

Note I am NOT a structural engineer, and nobody should use my example for designing a deck to hold a hot tub. The calculations/example are provided for reference of why a spa cannot be placed on a deck unless it's designed for that application, and NO other use.

I'm not a PE either, but those numbers are correct, and I'd personally double them if possible. It's not really as difficult as you'd think. 2x12's on a 12" center can easily hold a large car, which is about what you are talking with those numbers.

Honestly. $500 isn't bad... I wouldn't do it for that... I do know without the crew that delivered my new tub there would have been no way at the time I could have done it with just my kids... good luck! Enjoy!

Or worse they want $300 and we have to supply the manpower which makes no sense.
Use of their specialty equipment and their know-how. Having someone who knows what they are doing and the right equipment to do it with make a world of difference.
Let me throw another wrench in your gears. An 84" tub that is 30" high needs at least 90" height on the ceiling to lay it down, plus whatever height your dolly is. Will you be able to lay it down once it's in there?

Use of their specialty equipment and their know-how. Having someone who knows what they are doing and the right equipment to do it with make a world of difference.
Let me throw another wrench in your gears. An 84" tub that is 30" high needs at least 90" height on the ceiling to lay it down, plus whatever height your dolly is. Will you be able to lay it down once it's in there?
Yes, people dont understand the diagonal dimensions of things sometimes.. Good call...

And a 2x4 laying flat will bend like a bow and snap in half under that weight, damaging your spa (and truck/trailer maybe) and injuring anyone trying to save it. If you insist on doing this yourself at least get 4x4s. I can tell you that, unless you devise some stout metal bracket for the end, you will not be happy with that plan either. You have never tried to lift one end of a 600lb spa 4" up and move it onto some 4x4s without knocking down the 4x4s or crushing your fingers.
Call me a pessimist, but I predict this diy fiasco is going to go very bad, and you will be back here saying "I should have listened to RD and hired a mover." I'll put $20 on it if anyone wants to bet... :cheers:
I have moved many hundreds of spas in my 26 years in this business, and the more I hear the less I think you should try this yourself. No disrespect, but some things are better left to a pro with the right equipment. You wouldn't rebuild your engine without a torque wrench, or side a 2 story house without a ladder, but you'll try moving a 600lb spa without a spa dolly, and with women and children as helpers? There is a thin line between bravery and stupidity. Are you sure you haven't crossed it?

And a 2x4 laying flat will bend like a bow and snap in half under that weight, damaging your spa (and truck/trailer maybe) and injuring anyone trying to save it. If you insist on doing this yourself at least get 4x4s. I can tell you that, unless you devise some stout metal bracket for the end, you will not be happy with that plan either. You have never tried to lift one end of a 600lb spa 4" up and move it onto some 4x4s without knocking down the 4x4s or crushing your fingers.
Call me a pessimist, but I predict this diy fiasco is going to go very bad, and you will be back here saying "I should have listened to RD and hired a mover." I'll put $20 on it if anyone wants to bet... :cheers:
I have moved many hundreds of spas in my 26 years in this business, and the more I hear the less I think you should try this yourself. No disrespect, but some things are better left to a pro with the right equipment. You wouldn't rebuild your engine without a torque wrench, or side a 2 story house without a ladder, but you'll try moving a 600lb spa without a spa dolly, and with women and children as helpers? There is a thin line between bravery and stupidity. Are you sure you haven't crossed it?

Personally I want to say I will take that bet but at this point with everything being posted I am wondering why I am even bothering with a tub. You guys have me doubting moving it, putting it on my deck, my deck supporting it, whether or not I can keep it clean it water chem right, whether we will use it or not, whether its a waste of time or not, how quickly we will tire of it and want gone and the list goes on and on. Frankly my frustration is overflowing and I am ready to throw in towel and walk away. And no this is not a pitty party or a bashing session against anyone here I am just kind of over the whole thing right now.

Don’t get worked up. I just asked about the deck but you answered that, sounds fine. Don’t worry about the water. You’ve been a member here a while? Got a pool? Follow TFP guidelines? The spa won’t be difficult. Don’t worry about it. The only open question is the ceiling height in your porch. How wide is the tub and how high is the ceiling? Per @RDspaguy’s previous question. You really wouldn’t want to get it on the patio only to find there’s not enough clearance to tip it level.

So, after that, there’s only the move left. Honestly I think I’d only consider a DIY move if I had three friends and myself at a minimum, and was doing a level move such as from a trailer through a double gate and onto a flat patio. Add stairs and flipping it sideways through a door then flip it back level inside a small enclosed area? Ehhh… with my wife and kids as helpers? Well I don’t have kids but heck no, I personally wouldn’t think of that.

I know it sucks to pay someone $500 to show up and move from a trailer to the backyard, but honestly, that seems totally worth it. Especially assuming that’s a company, that means they have liability insurance. You don’t touch it, it gets moved by people who have done it and have tools, and if something goes wrong it’s not on you.

With a long distance move I’m assuming this is free or very cheap. If free and it works, than $500 to move means you got a $500 hot tub. The one we have came with our house, the owners paid $8000 in 2008 for it.

Finally, consider you were ready to drop $180 in materials to allow you to construct something to move this. If you pay $500 for a company to move it, you have to subtract whatever you were going to buy from that cost, so really it’s not $500 you are paying someone since you were going to spend $180 on materials anyway. You’re only paying an additional $320 from what you were going to pay to get someone else to move it. So for $320 you remove all rust of injury to you, your family, and any damage to the tub/deck/house that happens if the company screws something up in the move.

So in summary, my 2 cents:
  • Don’t worry about the water care, it’s not hard
  • Don’t worry about your deck supporting it, what you described seemed about right.
  • Get the tub width and porch ceiling height. Make sure the diagonal length allows tipping the tub.
  • Pay a company $500 to do the move from trailer to porch.
  • If you insist on moving yourself, do it with at least three other strong adults, not your kids.

Reactions: RDspaguy
Well my kids are actually college age 22, 19 I wouldn't attempt anything with younger kids. I still call my kids - kids and probably still will for the rest of their lives.

Ceiling is no problem its like its 100" of clearance in there, just measured.

Like I said its frustration. I did a lot of research/reading and as everyone can tell lots of forum questions so I felt like I had handled things like the deck etc correctly but reading more has me doubting things. I will probably have my contractor add some additional supports underneath. Not sure its needed but it can't hurt.

With the moving yeah I have bothered about that since I made a deal but so be it. I have called at least 6 different tub movers over the last week and only 4 returned my call 2 were long distance guys and wanted 2200, and 2000 respectively. 3rd was a semi long distance guy but would only bring it to Raleigh 2.5 hours from me and wanted $1500. 4th guy was local said he would bring it up but we had to load at the place and unload it here he would not assist and wanted $500 for the trip - ok so why bother with that if all he is going to do is drive that's the one part I am not worried about believe it or not.

All the local guys I have called since Monday asking about moving it here not one has called back. One guy I thought had agreed to help but he has since cut off his phone and is not answer FB messages or emails (guess it was a good thing I didn't go with him).

I guess I will contact the 2000 guy and see if he wants the job. If not I will do my best to find a bunch of guys to help.

Appreciate the advice everyone, I actually do. Like I said its frustration (having contractor and electrician issues compounding things which is not anyone's fault here).

Apologies

Greg

Last edited:
I think mostly everyone was worried about the lack of manpower. Your family should be able to get it in the backyard but you should have 6 - 8 to get it off the truck & onto the deck. I'm sure between you & the kids you can easily round up that many.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.