Hot Tub is Too Hot

dlaslo

May 30, 2015
Venice, FL
Just got a Master Twilight hot tub two days ago - got it wired yesterday by an electrician - and my wife wants it about 90-92F as she doesn't like it real hot. I set the controller at 92 and the temperature is at 103F and it stays there. I called the tech support and they think it is the Florida sun and the ambient temperature (88F). They suggested I take the cover off and check it in a few hours...That's what I did and it is 103F - cover on or cover off. (Master first had me check if the filter cycle was running the pumps too much and heating the water - but it was where it was supposed to be.

I think the insulation and cover would keep the water from getting the sun's heat. No ??? The tub is in a screened Lanai and it gets afternoon sun.

It is now late afternoon and the tub is in the shade and I now have the set point at 88F but the water temp is still 103. The pumps are off. The cover is off.

I was mildly curious that the heater was coming on when it wasn't supposed to. Master told me there is a indicator on the display when heat is on.

So....anyone have a thought?

D.

My hot tub will stay at 90 degrees without ever turning the heater on.. Just running the circulation put will drive the temp up with the cover on, especially in the summer.

Thanks,

Jim R.

That tub should have "summer logic" which turns the pumps off if temp is 3* above setting.
If the heater is in fact coming on (by the indicator) when it should not be there is an equipment issue. I suggest you call your dealer as this is under warranty.

Is it a 120v model ? I checked their website and they make one. If it is, it cannot separate the heater and the filtration, so if the filter schedule is set to run for 12 hours, if will also have to heat for 12 hours regardless of where you set the temperature. On a brand new unit this would be the most likely reason with nothing actually wrong, just a setting change.

Sorry, but that is not correct.
Not sure of this brand but mine worked that way, or at least what i found online said it did. It didnt have a traditional heater, but some sort of friction tube that was tied to the pump. When the pump ran for filtering so did the 'heater'. Just what i read, but when i looked underneath there was an aluminim looking pipe that seemed to be what the website was describing.

Last edited:
Oh, I know what you are talking about now. I didn't think Masters made one of those, but they might. Even those should still have a thermostatic control for heating, but long filter cycles could override that. But any pump running too long can do that, too. The OP did say they checked the filter cycle times already.
Master first had me check if the filter cycle was running the pumps too much and heating the water - but it was where it was supposed to be.

Reactions: Newdude
Update: Here's what I think happened. When we energized the spa on Day 1.....the factory default temperature setting was 100F. And by the time I got the chemistry right with the pumps running, the tub temperature (initially in the high 80's) quickly got to 100F - the default temperature. I changed the set point to 90F when it was already at 100F and put the cover on and called it a night. The next day, I now believe, the tub was still at 100 because the insulation was preventing heat loss and the Florida ambient temperature is in the 80's ..... So I thought the heater was running but it wasn't. Later, mid day, the tub was sitting in the sun and went up to 103. Even with the cover off, the temperature hours later was still 103. I now believe the heat from the sun is greater than the cooling. When we get to hot Florida summers....it may go even higher than 103F--- I hope that isn't the case. I checked the temperature last night when it was getting dark and it had dropped to 101. I left the cover off last night (it's in a locked lanai) and when the temperature gets to 90 - I'll put the cover back on and that should keep it at 90. Actually, the building inspector is coming today to check compliance, so I better put the cover back on.

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.