Hooking up sand filter to Summer Waves pool with skimmer

SwampFox76

Jun 16, 2019
Philadelphia
Hello, I've looked online multiple times it seems like everybody has a different way for doing this I'm just wondering if there is a very simple way, such as ordering a kit off of Amazon or something along those lines. Basically I'm trying to hook up the sand filter to the Summer Waves pool that I have. This is the sand filter I purchased, Amazon.com : Intex Krystal Clear Sand Filter Pump for Above Ground Pools, 12-inch, 110-120V with GFCI : Garden & Outdoor

I've attached pictures of the size hoses that I have. I planned on buying the cap for the bottom of the skimmer and when I look it up on Amazon it shows 3 items frequently bought together so I was wondering if those are all I would need to adapt the sand filter to the pool, the picture is also attached of those three items.

Thank you

Attachments

• IMG_20190616_190348.jpg
    IMG_20190616_190348.jpg
    509 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_20190616_190327.jpg
    IMG_20190616_190327.jpg
    246.9 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_20190616_190414.jpg
    IMG_20190616_190414.jpg
    245.5 KB · Views: 43
  • Screenshot_20190616-192156.png
    Screenshot_20190616-192156.png
    247.4 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
You WILL need to adapt your entire In to filter/out to pool set up. Intex doesn't fit other brands of pools without adapters and sometimes with some ingenuity as well. Your sand filter didn't come with the shut off valves? Intex is slipping. They used to ship every sand filter with valves. I say start with the skimmer bottom cap and the hose adapters(These are a MUST), and if you want the convenience of the shutoff valves, get those too. Take the motor out of the skimmer entirely(and the paper filter, you won't need it, but leave the skimmer basket), but don't throw it away, just in case something goes wrong with the sand filter.

I did this set up on my neighbors Summer Escapes pool, but we didn't buy the skimmer bottom cap. We cut plastic from a food container(I think it was an ice cream gallon bucket) to fit the bottom of the original bottom cap ring, and with the o-ring in place and good hand tightening, it didn't leak. We thought about epoxying it in place, but decided against that incase his sand filter crapped out and he needed to put the motor back in, but if cutting the costs as much as possible is not an issue for you like it was for him, I say absolutely buy the bottom cover. It's not that much.

We also did not get the shut off valves either because the skimmer comes with a black cover that goes over the hole inside the pool to stop water. And the inlet can just be turned upwards to stop water getting in on that side when servicing the sand filter is necessary. If your water level comes up higher than his, then you could stuff the inlet with a dish or hand towel to stop water getting in. But, if you decide you want or need the shut off valves, which are nice to have, Then it would go in this order: Out to filter from skimmer: Hose adapter>shutoff valve>hose>filter. In to pool from filter: filter>shut off valve>hose>hose adapter>inlet connection. Conversely, on the Out to Filter from skimmer side you could go: Hose adapter>hose>shutoff valve>filter. Because of the skimmer cover, you would really one NEED one shut off valve on the Return side, but if you're anything like me and absent mindedly put things down to take care of something else momentarily and forget where the heck you put that thing you just had, then yeah, use both shut off valves.

The Amazon listing says that pump came with the "hydro aeration technology inlet fitting." If you're going to use that by cutting your inlet hole larger to fit it, then you would put the shut off valve on THAT. So from the filter back to the pool it would be: Filter>hose>valve>fitting. This hydro aeration technology is nice, BUT because of the bubbles it produces, it will raise your PH so I keep the black cap on the, whatever they call it on the fitting that sticks up off the fitting and lets air in, on that thing so it's not producing so many bubbles and only take it off when I need to raise my Ph. Be advised though, the intex inlet fitting doesn't produce ANY circular "around the pool" surface movement like the Summer Escapes stock inlet fitting "kind of" does, so make sure your skimmer is on the "downwind" side. It should be anyway, no matter what inlet fitting you decide to use. BUT, the sand filter will push water harder than the stock pump does so it should make up for the difference.

I hope I helped. Let me know if I made ANY sense and if you need any more help with your set up, Ill be happy to help.

I appreciate the information. Thank you very much. Especially about the part with the hydro aeration technology inlet fitting. I did not know that due to that that it would actually cause the pH to rise and I was curious what that black cap was for I thought it was to plug the outlet going back into the pool. I was running around yesterday trying to find a quicker solution and went to Leslie's pool supply bought a part that was ridiculously expensive that part's not going to work for what I needed to so I had to take that back I want up going back to this one guy that I found on YouTube and I pretty much built the system that he built I'm currently waiting for the hose adapter type b from Amazon that's due in the mail today. I'll attach a picture of what the system looks like that he built mine is not complete because I stated I'm currently still waiting for the part from Amazon today. I'm actually going to use that cap you mentioned since I have to shut off valve now built with the PVC on the bottom part of the skimmer so I can take the filter out I saw another woman who did that on a YouTube video with no issues so it's one less part I have to buy. As far as the plunger valve goes that you recommended having on where the water would return back into the pool oh, I was considering just bypassing that do you think it is a smart idea to definitely purchase it and put it on?

Thanks again for your help.

Attachments

• IMG_1778-2-1024x768.jpg
    IMG_1778-2-1024x768.jpg
    152.9 KB · Views: 29
So the part came today and I'm not too fond of it. What anybody happen to know where I can get a more sturdy type b adapter? if you see the pictures I've attached you can see how flimsy it is I don't know how well that's going to do with the clamp. I would like to find something a little bit more solid that cannot bend so easily.

Attachments

• 1560889082992185575218230704025.jpg
    1560889082992185575218230704025.jpg
    540.1 KB · Views: 16
  • 15608891073866630770992411449619.jpg
    15608891073866630770992411449619.jpg
    545.3 KB · Views: 16
It seems flimsy, but it's not going to be a problem. They are literally just as "flimsy" or "strong" depending on how you look at it, as the hose you just took off the pool, only they have the threads for the Large Intex hoses. They will hold just fine, even better if you use worm gear hose clamps rather than the plastic ones. Alternately, check Amazon for something you think will work better, but really, what you got will work fine. As far as putting a plunger (shut off valves) valve on the return side, You HAVE to have a way to stop the water from flowing into the filter from BOTH sides if you need to service the filter, like emptying the filter basket. So, whether you're leaving the Summer Waves return fitting in the pool and turning it upwards, or stuffing it with a rag, or using some sort of plunger/shut off valve, it has to be done. If you don't stop the flow from the pool from BOTH Intake and Return sides, everytime you open your filter basket, you will lose a ton of water.

Those are exactly what I wound up buying, I got rid of the PVC set up because I didn't like how long and heavy it was pulling on the skimmer. What I have in that picture I attached is probably the most simple setup that I came across and I found it in a picture that somebody submitted for a review on Amazon for the plunger valves. Anyone trying to find a simple easy setup that is what I would recommend, just make sure that you put Teflon tape around every single part of those plunger valves that you can because when I got them they were leaking everywhere I put the Teflon tape on and it stopped immediately.

Attachments

• IMG_20190627_113526.jpg
    IMG_20190627_113526.jpg
    450.5 KB · Views: 53
Yup, that's pretty much my set up, except I have the old Summer Escapes(the name Polygroup used to give their pools. Now it's "Summer Waves") skimmer and I was able to get an adapter for it. I bought a New Intex this year, put my Summer Escapes skimmer on it, and have the plunger valve on the intake side directly on the sand filter. I've had those valves for years and never had a leak. I see you decided to cut your liner to fit the Intex return. That was a great choice, but it won't rotate the water. It's ok, though, I found I don't need it that much. See that "nub", whatever they call it, that sticks up on the return? That should have a black cap that fits over it to stop it from letting in so much air. The bubbles that that "nub" creates makes PH rise. If your PH levels are consistently too high, put that black cap on it. Find your PH a little too low, take it off. The bubbles are great for keeping the pool cooler as the summer heat rises, though. Enjoy your pool!

I wasn't a fan of the hard plumbed option either. Too much frustration for me. No matter how many times I measure before I cut, I always end up not quite right, and I always take my pool down in the hard WNY winters(might not this year though) and the PVC was just going to make the job that much harder. The weight wasn't even a thought in my mind, but since you said it, I will probably not ever decide to do it for that reason.

Last edited:
Yup, that's pretty much my set up, except I have the old Summer Escapes(the name Polygroup used to give their pools. Now it's "Summer Waves") skimmer and I was able to get an adapter for it. I bought a New Intex this year, put my Summer Escapes skimmer on it, and have the plunger valve on the intake side directly on the sand filter. I've had those valves for years and never had a leak. I see you decided to cut your liner to fit the Intex return. That was a great choice, but it won't rotate the water. It's ok, though, I found I don't need it that much. See that "nub", whatever they call it, that sticks up on the return? That should have a black cap that fits over it to stop it from letting in so much air. The bubbles that that "nub" creates makes PH rise. If your PH levels are consistently too high, put that black cap on it. Find your PH a little too low, take it off. The bubbles are great for keeping the pool cooler as the summer heat rises, though. Enjoy your pool!

I wasn't a fan of the hard plumbed option either. Too much frustration for me. No matter how many times I measure before I cut, I always end up not quite right, and I always take my pool down in the hard WNY winters(might not this year though) and the PVC was just going to make the job that much harder. The weight wasn't even a thought in my mind, but since you said it, I will probably not ever decide to do it for that reason.

my pH is usually low, I feel like every time I test it I have to add a little bit to get it back up and that's even with the black lid off. now I'm running into issues trying to figure out how to vacuum my pool I bought the vacuum cap for the skimmer but the water wasn't coming through fast enough to fill up the basket in the sand filter so I figured it was causing an issue I read about people drilling holes in it I did that and it still coming through too slow and I barely have any suction coming out of the vacuum. so now I'm at a complete loss trying to search the internet to figure out how to vacuum the pool.

Well, with the vacuum, you have to fill the vacuum hose with water, then connect it to your vacuum head and the skimmer vac cap, then open the air valve in the filter to let the air out, and keep the vacuum off the floor for a few seconds after you turn on the pump to fill the line with water or it won't work, just like how you described. If you do all of that, the water should enter the filter at the same rate as it does without the vacuum. Alternately, Intex makes a "sweeper" called the Intex Automatic pool cleaner that actually works off the Pressure(water going back into the pool) side, rather than suction. I've had one for 3 or 4 years and have no complaints. Some people complain because they try to hook it up to the suction side, others because the connections in the hoses leak(but they are supposed to so as to relieve some of the water pressure so it moves slowly across the pool floor and doesn't slam into the sides). I run my filter at night, so when I have a dirty pool, I put this cleaner in and wake up to a nice clean pool. It really picks up nicely when you use it correctly. Even little sand particles.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.