Home test results vs Leslie's

bmlshield

Jun 19, 2019
Dallas, TX
Newbie here. I've had my pool for a whole 3 weeks now and my head is spinning as I get my TFP bachelors degree in chemistry.

I'm trying to figure out what shock level I need to get to for treatment. Id rather move to liquid chlorine rather than keep buying powder from the big guys. Based on my results they are suggesting 5lbs per treatment in my 37k gallon chlorine pool. My last test from "Leslies Bank & Loan Co" was the following:
pH 7.4
ALK 100
CYA 80
FAC 2
TAC 2
Po 100
CH 250

When I test my FC at home I have been north of 5 every time. Following the instructions on my F-1004 exactly. As a matter of fact I have never been below the darkest pink reading 5 Cl and 10 Br shade. Color might look off in the pic but I have circled the closest match.

Attachments

• Pool Test.jpg
    Pool Test.jpg
    306.4 KB · Views: 26
Also, the test you are using measures total chlorine, not free chlorine. So that test is telling you that you have at least 5ppm of total chlorine....in other words, it doesn’t tell you anything useful. You need a FAS-DPD test that is included in the test kit above.

B,

You can use this chart to figure out what your SLAM level should be.. FC/CYA Levels

I notice that your CYA is 80, which makes performing a SLAM more difficult because of the high level of Chlorine you need to kill your algae.

I suggest that you drain about half your water and then do the SLAM...

If you don't have one already, you should get a test kit that can measure FC up to 50 ppm.. I use and recommend the TF-100 and Speed-Stir...

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.