holes or spalling in shallow end of pool

tagteamcomputing

Gold Supporter
Feb 7, 2017
Tulsa, OK
I have some areas in the shallow end of my pool that are getting quite deep holes. I am planning on doing a pool resurface but probably not for 3 more years.

I am thinking of trying to repair these for now. I was trying to think of a way to build a box that could seal to the floor and then pump the water out and repair it but then I found these.

Aquabond epoxy and Atlas Expoxy putty. Both are supposed to be able to create a bond and harden underwater. Does anyone have any recommendation or experience doing this?

Below are some pictures of my shallow end. It is a sun deck that is about 2 feet deep

What are you trying to accomplish putting epoxy on worn out plaster spots?

I think it may make it difficult to replaster over areas someday.

I am planning on doing some major repairs in 2-3 years. I need to save up some money. So what I am trying to do right now is just the best I can to get me that 2-3 years. So areas where I am afraid there may be an issue I am trying to address.

By putting epoxy on those spots I am just trying to make sure I can maintain the integrity of the pool shell. A couple of those spots I can see that the shell of the pool is my a kind of blue gray color and in those deep spots I can see the color has changed to a kind of tan. That makes me think that it is worn down past the plaster portion and is probably hitting the concrete. I just thought a little bit of epoxy over that area might keep it from deteriorating deeper and I can just plaster over it in a few years.

Would you recommend waiting until sometime like October when we are not swimming as much?

Whenever you can take the pool down for two days. After doing the repair, water may be refilled the next day. It can be easier to work with in cooler weather.

Ok, I can see how that is actually better than trying to dump a bunch of epoxy patches all over the place. I will just have to find some other use for an underwater epoxy.

I appreciate the feedback, it has helped solidify what is best to be done.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
As a side note, I also have this issue on four step / seating areas around the pool that are at the same level so I will be able to do them all at the same time.

Is this something I can do myself or should I hire someone. I am not sure if I would want to sand / strip a top layer and put on a new layer or just put it on over the top of what is there and let it fill in all holes.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.