High Total Chlorine

amy12399

Jun 8, 2020
Minnesota
Hi all

I feel like pool store just keeps throwing random ideas at us and nothing is working.
FC is .4
TC is 15
Alkalinity is 151
CYA is 64
PH is 7.6

They told us to use 7 lbs of non chlorinated shock. Levels didnt change.

Currently use chlorine tablets in a floater.
Tonight we put in Alkalinity Minus as well.

I have heard peroxide can lower chlorine. Just dont want to keep buying a ton of chemicals that dont help!
Thanks!

Welcome to the forum!
Those are pool store test results I presume. We do not provide guidance based on those tests. But I can explain a couple things, if you are willing to believe them.
The TC is high because of the non-chlorine shock (MPS). Do not use that product again. It will take a while for it to be consumed. We do not use the term TC. We measure FC and CC. Your CC is high, making the TC high.
At your CYA, your FC is woefully low. It would be best to add at least 10 ppm FC worth of chlorine now.
I assume Alkalinity Minus is dry acid? Odd term as it lowers pH.

Take a look around pool school and see if you would like to learn more about TFPC.

I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry.

Reactions: amy12399
I appreciate your guidance! We just got our Taylor k2006 kit. We cannot even put enough drops in to get a true Free Chlorine read (never turns clear). All of our strips say we have none.
Alkalinity is 90
PH was 7.6
CYA was 60

Could the non chlorine shock still be messing with our chlorine numbers? We even took the floater out three days ago and our pool is in full sun from 10-6.
We have bleach ready to pour in but I dont know what to do without a good reas.
Thanks

Are you using a 10 ml water sample? One scoop of powder and each drop of reagent to clear is 0.5 ppm FC.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Strips would be bleached out at that level FC so that is not surprising.

Odd, your FC must have been very high.

Even with the pool looking clear, I suggest you follow the SLAM Process. Leave your pH alone as with high FC it is not an accurate test.
Raise your FC to 24 ppm. Maintain that there by testing and adding chlorine at least 3-4 times per day. Tomorrow night do a Overnight Chlorine Loss Test if the water is clear.

If you did not get the C version of the K2006, order FAS-DPD and CYA reagent refills now. You will run out quickly.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.