Would someone mind sanity checking me?

That should work. The theory is to minimize the mixing. Looks like more than 5 gpm.
I timed again and it was 1:12 to fill 5 gallon bucket for refilling hose, and 58 seconds to fill 5 gallon bucket with effluent hose.

It seemed like it was aerating too much though, if thats a bad thing. I do have a shallow skimmer, I took the skimmer basket out, and put the hose down into the PVC of the drain... is that right?

Perfect, will do. I guess I should turn the floor returns in the deep end off as well, and just the shallow ones on, if the fresh water is going into the plumbing. Also, it looks like it might rain. The Draining - Further Reading article didnt mention anything really re: weather if not draining completely and then refilling. Rain ok?

Perfect, will do. I guess I should turn the floor returns in the deep end off as well, and just the shallow ones on, if the fresh water is going into the plumbing.
Floor returns? Be sure those are isolated. Or this entire thing will be a flop.

I cannot comment without more data. Pictures of the equipment pad. A completed signature with what equipment you have, etc.
You do not want water moving around in the pool. Via plumbing or otherwise. Just flow from the sump pump to a drain and your hose putting water in.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
they're not working - maybe I'm doing this for no reason. My thinking was that the filling hose could push water up through the plumbing, back through the filter - so if that was the case, then the water that is coming back out and through the returns, is only coming through shallow end. If the filling hose isnt actually going to do that, then thats even better.

they're not working - maybe I'm doing this for no reason. My thinking was that the filling hose could push water up through the plumbing since its flowing water into the skimmer pipe, and flowing up into the filter - so if that was the case, then the water that is coming back out and through the returns, is only coming through shallow end. If the filling hose isnt actually going to do that, then thats even better.

they're not working - maybe I'm doing this for no reason. My thinking was that the filling hose could push water up through the plumbing, back through the filter - so if that was the case, then the water that is coming back out and through the returns, is only coming through shallow end. If the filling hose isnt actually going to do that, then thats even better.
No, you don’t want that. You want a single source of water going in as far away as possible from the source of water going out. Shut the returns off and don’t try and push it through the plumbing.

No, you don’t want that. You want a single source of water going in as far away as possible from the source of water going out. Shut the returns off and don’t try and push it through the plumbing.
Ok, I'll turn everything to off position. Should I push the hose down into the skimmer piping pretty far? If everything is in off position (and pump off), then that would be as far away as possible? Or am I getting carried away.

Sorry for all the questions.. but thank you again

Ok, I'll turn everything to off position. Should I push the hose down into the skimmer piping pretty far? If everything is in off position (and pump off), then that would be as far away as possible? Or am I getting carried away.

Sorry for all the questions.. but thank you again
You don’t -need- to push it into the piping at all. Water getting sucked out of the bottom of the pool and water entering at the top with as little splashing, current as possible.

Reactions: pcweldon
A few more quick questions (if anyone sees this) - I tested a sample of the effluent water today, and CYA was 80ish (good news I think).

I was planning to test tomorrow before I shut the drain process down. Estimated 2:00pm based on gallons/min.

If the effluent is still above 60, should I just keep going?

Is this dumb to test because it's not that accurate?

Should I also test the shallow water to see if it's CYA is much lower before turning the filter back on?

The effluent should have high CYA levels. If not, you are getting alot of mixing.

Just run to 10% over the amount of water you wanted to exchange and then run the pool pump to mix the entire volume.

Reactions: pcweldon

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.