Mar 27, 2021
Indiana
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hello!
I am new to the TFP world. I purchased a property with an existing pool, prior owners used the aqua smarte system. I am trying to clean my pool up for their sins!

I have completely removed the mineral pack and use of the tab pacs.

I am using liquid chlorine and seem to be only struggling with getting my TA down.

It’s around 150 today. I have lowered to PH to 7.0 with dry acid (did last night) but I cannot get TA to budge.

Any suggestions or tips?

FC 7.0
CC 0
TA 150
CYA 55
PH 7.0

Welcome to the forum!
Is there a reason you need to push the TA down quickly? Normally, through pH management using muriatic acid, the TA will come down to its happy spot.
Do not use dry acid. Dry acid is Sodium Bisulfate. The sulfates build in your water and will destroy metals and concrete (plaster).
Please fill out your signature.
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry.

Welcome to the forum!
Is there a reason you need to push the TA down quickly? Normally, through pH management using muriatic acid, the TA will come down to its happy spot.
Do not use dry acid. Dry acid is Sodium Bisulfate. The sulfates build in your water and will destroy metals and concrete (plaster).
Please fill out your signature.
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry.
I started to use the pool math calculator and it indicated that TA Was too high, and offered suggestions on how I should lower, which I followed. If that's really not a big deal, I can disregard and manage the PH with muriatic acid as you stated that will over time reduce the TA.

Reviving this a bit because I am confused. Over the last few days I have used a gallon of muriatic acid to bring my PH down, then aerated to bring it back up. The TA hasn’t gone down at all and I don’t know what is wrong, because I thought I’d see a re:

FC - 6
CC - 0
PH - 7.6
TA - 140

any thoughts?

Is your muriatic acid 31.45%? If so, it would have lowered your TA by about 20 ppm, if you have not added anything (fill water) to raise the TA.

Reactions: Steveb_77
Is your muriatic acid 31.45%? If so, it would have lowered your TA by about 20 ppm, if you have not added anything (fill water) to raise the TA.
Yes, it is 31.45%.
I did have to add a little fill water, so maybe that’s throwing the numbers off a bit.

I don’t think my TA is a real problem, I was just expecting it to drop some.

Do you have a speed stir? I found that my TA test was significantly more consistent after I bought one. With just swirling manually, my results were fluctuating as much 20 ppm.

Reactions: Steveb_77

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Do you have a speed stir? I found that my TA test was significantly more consistent after I bought one. With just swirling manually, my results were fluctuating as much 20 ppm.
I do not but I’ll invest in one. I often end up spilling a few drops here or there when manually swirling myself.
Thanks for the tip!

Your pH will continue to be pulled up by the high TA. All you can do is knock pH down to the lower end of the recommended range each time it gets to the top end of the range. MA is your best friend.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.