High PH

ryoung81

Aug 9, 2020
McAllen, TX
For the past few months I've been having stubbornly high PH. It stays about 8.0 - 8.2. I can push it down with muriatic acid, but over the next few days it returns to that low 8 range.

Is this "where my pool stays" or can I make some other adjustments to help the PH stay lower? The pool is clear, otherwise fine to be in - but I know the PH is out of whack.

FC 4.5
PH 8.0
TA 100
CH 500 (note that this where my kit turns "purple" not quite blue. I have to put in like twice as many drops to get it to a true blue. I've tried the modified instructions using 10 & 3 drops - but I still get about the same result.... so maybe my CH is higher than this.
CYA 50

Hope I provided all the info... thanks!

Next time the pH gets to 8.0, use enough acid to knock it down to 7.0-7.2. That will also help to lower the TA a little each time you do that. Continue that process until you get the TA down to about 70. That should help slow the rise of pH.. Also make sure you have nothing causing aeration in the water which raises pH.

As for the CH, you do want baby blue. :( You aren't using cal-hypo to chlorinate are you?

I'm using 10% bleach - but this pool had pucks for like 4 years. I haven't dumped water, just been using bleach only for about a year and it's naturally come pretty far down. (i'll dump a few inches before it rains or whatever). My CYA was like 150 early last year.

No aeration except the dolphin a little bit maybe...

Next time the pH gets to 8.0, use enough acid to knock it down to 7.0-7.2. That will also help to lower the TA a little each time you do that. Continue that process until you get the TA down to about 70. That should help slow the rise of pH.. Also make sure you have nothing causing aeration in the water which raises pH.

As for the CH, you do want baby blue. :( You aren't using cal-hypo to chlorinate are you?
Politely butting in, what is cal-hypo?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.