High Failure Rate of Led Lights

Peiloy

Apr 30, 2018
Trinidad
So I have 6 Hayward Colorlogic 320’s hooked up to an OmniLogic through Hayward transformers. I keep loosing lights every 8 to 12 months which is getting really expensive. They just start ramping up and down and lose some colors. Not all the lights die at the same time. I don’t want to believe that the technology of the led lights are that bad, so I pulled out my multimeter and checked my voltages at the transformer. The line voltage at each one is 120v, but the output from the transformers are between 14.5 to 15v. I know that these lights are supposed to be powered with 14V. Could this be the reason for my high failure rate? What confuses me is that all of the transformers read high. Is this normal? The transformers are only 2 years old.

What model light transformer do you have?

Transformers have taps to let yous elect the voltage - 12V, 13V, 14V, 15V, 16V. There is a voltage loss in the length of the wire so you need to use a higher voltage out the transformer to have the required 14V at the light fixture.

See bottom of page 2 in https://hayward-pool-assets.com/ass...orLogic-crystaLogic-160-320-owners-manual.pdf

Cord Length and Minimum Required Voltage

When installing ColorLogic/CrystaLogic 1.5” LED low voltage lights, the length of the cord has an effect on performance. To prevent performance problems, verify the transformer is providing the minimum required voltage according to the table below. To check this voltage, measure the voltage at the transformer while the light is “on” and operating in “white” mode. In some cases, a voltage greater than 12 volts is required due to a long cord run. Some transformers provide higher voltage taps for this purpose; check your transformer manufacturer’s installation instructions for details.

When using Hayward or other transformers that offer a 14v option, we suggest that you always use the 14 volt tap. at the transformer while the light is “on” and operating in “white” mode. In some cases, a voltage greater than 12 volts is required due to a long cord run. Some transformers provide higher voltage taps for this purpose; check your transformer manufacturer’s installation instructions for details. When using Hayward or other transformers that offer a 14v option, we suggest that you always use the 14 volt tap.

Heat is the enemy of LED lights and higher voltage causes more heat. The manual says minimum voltage is 12V. I would try and run the lights at the minimum that works.

Try and adjust the transformer and use a lower voltage tap and see how it works for you.

Reactions: wolverine
Thank you for the reply. One of the transformers is a Hayward LTBUY11300. The other three are the junction box types offered by Hayward. The problem with the junction box types is that they do not offer taps and they are the ones reading close to 15v with lights on. Perhaps I will change these transformers to the intermatic 100w transformers that offer the multi tap and also reconfigure the Hayward to a lower tap.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.