High Cyanuric Acid and phosphates

Its an easy test.. break the surface tension and see if the snow sinks or mixes...

I doubt its density.. unless your pool is warming up a lot, I see you are in Az.

For the OCLT you want to test after the sun sets and then in the morning before the sun rises. For routine testing I try to test at the same time everyday so I can compare day to day. If you test in the morning you will see the effect of whatever your pool did that night.. if you test in the evening you will see the effect of whatever your pool did that day. I like mornings, since I run my SWG at night I can see if I am prepared for whatever the day has planned; pool party, forecast for hot temps; and I can tweak accordingly. Besides, morning is my quiet time with me, my pool and my coffee. Everyone has a different methodology, just be consistent.

After the SLAM use this as a general guide: What Are My Ideal Pool Levels? - Trouble Free Pool and follow this chart for your FC: FC/CYA Levels

In AZ you will see the Cl demand go down due to temps and the sun not being as high .. you'll adjust accordingly.

Last edited:
Water is clear but I have not tested CC since I started slam, I will later today, does it matter when I measure it?
Test your CC in the morning with the OCLT test. That is the time you would have any CC, as the sun has not hit the surface of the pool.

Once SLAM complete, let FC fall to target range and then maintain there. Keep pH in the 7's. TA just test, it will be managed by the dropping of the pH.
Test CYA monthly.

Winter numbers do not change. You just do not need to add chlorine or acid as often.

Good morning,
So I believe I am done with slam. I measured FC and CC twice around 7am.
For both I got no FC change overnight 20.5ppm (yes below slam but per the recommendation I left it to do the OCLT)
The CC on the first test seemed to be 0.5ppm, on the second test I didn't see the liquid become pink at all after I added the 5 drops of R-0003. So I would say CC is less than 0.5ppm.
And water is clear.

So how long before I can test pH and CYA. I know slam affects pH not sure about CYA.

I also have a lot of non slam/algae questions, should I submit separate threads in maybe the beginner category.

Finally @mknauss, I tried looking at your pool calculator data but was not succesful. Is there another way I can see them? I have not purchased the subscription yet but have a log of all my tests.

Thank you all

Post a pic of your non SLAM algae.. if you passed all three criteria I'm left to conclude its not algae. But I will defer the SLAM experts on that one.

Let your FC drift down.. when its below 10 then the pH readings will be valid. You can test for CYA now. but I think I would hold off changing your CYA in case the non SLAM algae needs to be dealt with.

Sorry for the confusion @mguzzy by "non slam/algae questions ", I meant I have questions outside or not related to algae or slam which was the initial purpose of this thread. I do not have any algae.

Also, should I consider cleaning the filter cartridges this week end? I have nnot cleaned them since January.
Thanks
OK I understand about the question now... Its kind of all related to the aftermath of a SLAM. you can leave your questions here. Now if you wanted to ask about how to install a waterfall.. then I would say start a new thread.

Absolutely.. its even recommended to clean your cartridges before/during the SLAM to help with filtration. So yeah, there is no sense leaving all the crud your SLAM produced sitting in your filters. flush those bad boys out.

I see the Poolmath logs are not showing up today. Odd. I will let our Admin know.

There should be no need to soak your filter cartridges in MA. In fact, never do that unless you have soaked them in TSP first. You must get the oils out of the filters or you will ruin them with MA. I do soak mine in TSP as my wife uses suntan lotion, etc.

Interesting it was in the cartridge guide :)
So I plan on measuring FC later today and adjust it at night.

I was curious what you typically do for the following situations or do you just measure and keep the FC up. As in do you sometimes "shock" the pool in some cases lole those below:
  • Large number of people using the pool on a given day
  • Monsoon (heavy rain)
  • Dust storm or highly dusty conditions
In the past I would use one or two bags kf shock from costco but these are the ones with the "blue" word and I learned on this thread that they have copper.
Thanks

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So I cleaned the cartridges and this time wrote down the psi before and after cleaning the cartridges and I got no difference?! To the contrary the psi went up by 1psi after cleaning see below.

Before cleaning the cartridges:
At 2450 rpm => 16psi
At 2600 rpm => 16psi

After cleaning the cartridges:
At 2450 rpm => 16psi
At 2600 rpm => 17psi

Am I missing something?
Thanks

To clarify I wanted to record the psi on the filter to know when it's time to clean them. I believe @mknauss recommended to clean them when 25% more pressure than when they were clean.

I have also have another question, I loose about 8 ppm per day right now, so If I adjust my ppm at night to the desired 7ppm based on my current CYA , it may get to zero by the next evening before I get the chance to adjust it. Would that be a concern to fluctuate between 7 and 0 ppm every 24hours?

Thanks

Correct on the pressure for filter cleaning. By your data, your cartridges were not that dirty. You should be able to go to 20 psi before they need to be cleaned. But, if the water return flow slows down too much, clean them earlier.

On your FC loss. Is the 8 ppm at your SLAM level FC? If so, that loss will lessen when your FC is down to target range. If it does not, let me know.

Great job!

Correct on the pressure for filter cleaning. By your data, your cartridges were not that dirty. You should be able to go to 20 psi before they need to be cleaned. But, if the water return flow slows down too much, clean them earlier.

On your FC loss. Is the 8 ppm at your SLAM level FC? If so, that loss will lessen when your FC is down to target range. If it does not, let me know.

Great job!

This is only my second time cleaning the cartridges in 22 months. So definitely a rookie.

After cleaning the cartridges today, I ran the pump for 2hours, when I stopped the pump I heard a brief screeching/sharp sound coming from the filter (cartridge). I am not sure if the clamp was not tightened enough or if I should have lubricated the O ring? I decided to tighten the filter clamp more and tried the pump a couple of times with no noise. Thoughts? I attached a pic of the clamp from right after cleaning the cartridges and one from now after I tightened it some more. Hope I didn't overdo it?
Any idea what the screeching aound may be?

Also while doing this I noticed the filter showing 20psi for the pump running at 2600 rpm which 5 psi more than my measurment earlier this afternoon! Can something else affect the pressure? I've noticed similar pressure changes earlier today for the same rpm. I am wondering if maybe some of my infloor zones have less or more heads and maybe that explains rhe difference in pressure for the same rpm?

About FC, yes I lost a total of 8ppm per day at slam level (24) with several adjustements during the day. However this morning I had 20.5ppm and this evening after no CL adjustment all day, I have 12ppm. Still consitent with the 8ppm loss per day. It may get lower no that my ppm is at 12.

Finally I attached pictures of the cartridges before and after. They seemed dirty to me, but maybe not enough to see a pressure change?

Thank you for the encouragment.

Attachments

• 20200612_231128.jpg
    20200612_231128.jpg
    204.7 KB · Views: 19
  • 20200612_190353.jpg
    20200612_190353.jpg
    317.2 KB · Views: 21
  • 20200612_174436.jpg
    20200612_174436.jpg
    595.8 KB · Views: 20
  • 20200612_164347.jpg
    20200612_164347.jpg
    614 KB · Views: 19
Typically once you have compressed the spring that is as tight as you want to go with clamp. Not sure about a screeching sound, never heard anything like that. I lubricate the filter oring each time with pool lube. Clean the surfaces really well. Those cartridges did not look all that dirty, and cleaned up really well.

I would suspect your pressure is variable depending on what in floor zone is on. I would pick one set up, either one of the zones or if you can turn the system to just returns, for checking your filter pressure. At one rpm level.

I lubricate the filter oring each time with pool lube. Clean

So it was similar to the noise when I was tightening the clamp (seems like I can't upload the video, how do I share it in this forum?)
Did the spring on the night picture looked tight enough? It was slightly more loose earlier.

Thank you, any recommendation on pool lube? Should I reopen the filter to apply the lube?
I am assuming you are applying the same lube to the oring of the pump basket as well

I can't do only one zone, so I either have to wait for that zone to come up or I have to only use the return and measure the psi for that rpm. Will do tonight.

Thanks

Maybe the clamp moved a bit when you put pressure to the filter housing. The spring looks as compressed as I get mine. You can insert YouTube but not a direct video I believe.

Pool lube should be a non-PTFE silicone based lubricant. I get Boss 820 off Amazon.

If the filter gasket is not leaking, do not bother it. Just have some lube on hand for the future.

Thats the one. It works well on the pump lid gasket. Do the drain plug orings too on the pump.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.