Southern WI
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Intex Krystal Clear
I have no idea how my CYA raised when I had it perfect... but it's at 90 now. My pool was green, added bleach and it's blue but cloudy now. My pH also raised (we've had massive storms and super high heat waves).

Levels:
CC: .5
FC: 1.5
CYA: 90
pH: over 8 (hot pink)

I do have a SWG so I guess 90 cya is ok? Or should I drain some?

I should lower pH to about 7.4 and then SLAM?

If I need 3 and 1/4 gals to start the SLAM, how much total do you think I need to buy?

Planning to have a pool party on Saturday... is it possible?

Thanks!

You need way more chlorine if the FC level is only 1.5ppm and your CYA is 90. That’s why the water is green. Follow the SLAM process. Depending on how bad it it might be better by Saturday. But if it’s been that low for a while it may take a while to clear up.

Your other thread was just dropped with out your following through to the end of a SLAM. If you must have a clean pool by Saturday, drain it. Start over.

Your other thread was just dropped with out your following through to the end of a SLAM. If you must have a clean pool by Saturday, drain it. Start over.
I was in the hospital and couldn't maintain the pool. After getting out, I was mostly couch bound and couldn't do much but add some bleach and clean the skimmer. Just trying to keep it blue until I could slam (need more bleach to do it). Then we got blasted with heat waves and severe storms that filled the pool with leaves and bugs. SWG was off due to "low salt" error. Skimmer filled with leaves and blocked the pump from working well. I couldn't do anything with it. I was down.

Finally got out there and over the last few days I got the leaves cleaned out, cleaned the skimmer, cleaned the SWG with vinegar and the error was gone, changed the filter, and I'm hoping to get out there and vacuum still today. It's blue, but cloudy. I have 4 gals of 10% coming from my awesome niece, but not sure that's even enough and now I need to lower pH again.

Sorry I couldn't follow through on the other thread. I'm trying. I'm chronically ill so I do tend to go down for days. It just is what it is. Sorry.

You need way more chlorine if the FC level is only 1.5ppm and your CYA is 90. That’s why the water is green. Follow the SLAM process. Depending on how bad it it might be better by Saturday. But if it’s been that low for a while it may take a while to clear up.
It's blue, just cloudy. I had put 2 gals of bleach in and cleaned everything (leaves, bugs, skimmer, vinegar'ed my SWG, changed filter, etc). I can see the bottom when I stand and look down but from afar it's cloudy.

Reactions: newdude
Sorry I couldn't follow through on the other thread. I'm trying. I'm chronically ill so I do tend to go down for days. It just is what it is. Sorry.
You have to manage all life throws at you. Sometimes the pool takes a backseat and it is what it is. We all get it. We will happily help with the parts we can help with to lessen the burden of the other parts. :)

Glad you're on the mend.

While it may not be invitingly clear for the party, swimming is safe up to and including SLAM level as long as you can see the pool bottom for swimmer safety.

I bet with a few days head start, you'll still be clearer than most pools with you only being 3/4 TFP clear. :)

Enlist anyone who is free to help if you're having a bad day. They can bring you samples and you can tell them what to add from the couch. Heck, this is 2021, go out there with them on FaceTime.

Reactions: ChelleSte
It's blue, just cloudy. I had put 2 gals of bleach in and cleaned everything (leaves, bugs, skimmer, vinegar'ed my SWG, changed filter, etc). I can see the bottom when I stand and look down but from afar it's cloudy.

Attachments

• IMG_20210816_153558077.jpg
    IMG_20210816_153558077.jpg
    299.6 KB · Views: 39
Be careful with the vinegar. It’s degrades the life of the cell and is only needed if you have calcium scaling on it.

how are you testing the water? Did it require 2 gallons to get up to SLAM level or is it less than that? Too much can bleach the liner so don’t go too much over slam level.

Once it’s clean, set your SWG to maintain a FC of about 7ppm and never below 4ppm.

You have to manage all life throws at you. Sometimes the pool takes a backseat and it is what it is. We all get it. We will happily help with the parts we can help with to lessen the burden of the other parts. :)

Glad you're on the mend.

While it may not be invitingly clear for the party, swimming is safe up to and including SLAM level as long as you can see the pool bottom for swimmer safety.

I bet with a few days head start, you'll still be clearer than most pools with you only being 3/4 TFP clear. :)

Enlist anyone who is free to help if you're having a bad day. They can bring you samples and you can tell them what to add from the couch. Heck, this is 2021, go out there with them on FaceTime.
Thank you 😌 I've learned to just roll with the punches and push on. Having down days is exactly why I wanted to do tfp, so I can manage it easier when I am in a flare. Thanks for understanding ❤️

My niece and dad will be coming up on different days so I can definitely do that! I have the 10% coming now and will have to get to the store tonight so I can get this pH down first. I was just in the process of testing when she bought the chlorine so she had left the store before I realized my pH was so high. Of course.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I was just in the process of testing when she bought the chlorine so she had left the store before I realized my pH was so high. Of course
Well. Pffffffft. That one happens to ALL of us. It's an ongoing joke in my house when I get home from the weekly BJs/Costco trip to see what we accidentally run out of first. Paper towels ? Laundry detergent seems to have sprung a leak ??? Nothing make us run out of things like coming home from the store. :)
Thanks for understanding ❤️
Told ya before and I'll tell ya again. We got you.

Be careful with the vinegar. It’s degrades the life of the cell and is only needed if you have calcium scaling on it.

how are you testing the water? Did it require 2 gallons to get up to SLAM level or is it less than that? Too much can bleach the liner so don’t go too much over slam level.

Once it’s clean, set your SWG to maintain a FC of about 7ppm and never below 4ppm.
I did have scaling and it was triggering a low salt warning (which isn't right) so it wouldn't run.

I'm using k-2006 and k-1766 for salt. It needed more than 2 gals (they were just 5-some%) but that's all I had. Pool Math says it needs 3gal, 1 qt now (today's testing).

I don't think I can change the settings on my SWG? Just the time to run. It has a Boost to go 100% but I think that's my only option other than the time to run.

Well. Pffffffft. That one happens to ALL of us. It's an ongoing joke in my house when I get home from the weekly BJs/Costco trip to see what we accidentally run out of first. Paper towels ? Laundry detergent seems to have sprung a leak ??? Nothing make us run out of things like coming home from the store. :)

Told ya before and I'll tell ya again. We got you.
Especially with a teenage daughter. It doesn't matter how many times I tell her "You need to tell me when you're getting low," she doesn't tell me until it's gone and she needs it RIGHT THEN. 🤦‍♀️

❤️

Again...... I FEEL ya. :ROFLMAO:

16 tells me every Monday what I should have gotten on the Sunday shopping trip. 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

Okey doke...... setting the time in the DeLorean to yesterday...... Flux capacitor running...... when this baby hits 88 MPH.....

I don't think I can change the settings on my SWG? Just the time to run. It has a Boost to go 100% but I think that's my only option other than the time to run.
That's true for the Intex SWGs. All boost really does is run it three times (I think?) longer than it usually would. Otherwise it's always on 100% when it's on...

Sounds like you've got this! Draining maybe a portion of your water to get the CYA down a bit will make the amount of chlorine needed a bit more manageable, not sure if it would help you make any progress faster though. Mostly you need to try to keep the chlorine at SLAM level as often as possible and brush at least once a day to get that algae exposed. Keep your pump running as much as you can too.

Again...... I FEEL ya. :ROFLMAO:

16 tells me every Monday what I should have gotten on the Sunday shopping trip. 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

Okey doke...... setting the time in the DeLorean to yesterday...... Flux capacitor running...... when this baby hits 88 MPH.....
Lol 🤣 Mine's 16, too. A DeLorean is absolutely needed! Shoot, I could keep the pool clean then, too 😄

• Love
That's true for the Intex SWGs. All boost really does is run it three times (I think?) longer than it usually would. Otherwise it's always on 100% when it's on...

Sounds like you've got this! Draining maybe a portion of your water to get the CYA down a bit will make the amount of chlorine needed a bit more manageable, not sure if it would help you make any progress faster though. Mostly you need to try to keep the chlorine at SLAM level as often as possible and brush at least once a day to get that algae exposed. Keep your pump running as much as you can too.
Thanks! I have the pump on 24/7 and I'll keep it going. I want to turn off the SWG while slamming, right? Do you think just brushing while slamming will be enough, or do you think I need to vac? If I do drain some, how much would I need to drain?

Thanks for the help!!

I did have scaling and it was triggering a low salt warning (which isn't right) so it wouldn't run.

I'm using k-2006 and k-1766 for salt. It needed more than 2 gals (they were just 5-some%) but that's all I had. Pool Math says it needs 3gal, 1 qt now (today's testing).

Ah, then you’ll need to run it a lot longer to keep the chlorine levels up. Even if you had lower CYA, you need more chlorine.

Ah, then you’ll need to run it a lot longer to keep the chlorine levels up. Even if you had lower CYA, you need more chlorine.
I normally have it run 6 hours a day (but it was completely off from the salt error). Should I bump that to 8 hours a day?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.