High CYA somehow!? Is it ok?

Can I do less like the 20% and just use more chlorine?
Certainly can! Get a good 20% out (maybe even in two stints to let things settle again) by vacuuming to waste, get a good read on CYA, and then just use a bit more chlorine to stay at SLAM level as much as you can between now and Saturday. As long as you can see bottom for safety, just let FC drop a smidge below SLAM and swim away on Saturday. Keep that pump running (with cartridge back in) as much as you can between now and then.

Reactions: ChelleSte
If you got it done tomorrow I think it would be plenty warm on Saturday. You have low 80s for tomorrow and Wed and 87 highs on Thursday and Friday. It should be plenty of time to warm up.
Ok! It's been a good morning so far so I think I can kick some butt with the pool today! I'll vac it to waste good and drain a bunch, refill, then adjust pH and check cya, then start the SLAM if cya is good

Certainly can! Get a good 20% out (maybe even in two stints to let things settle again) by vacuuming to waste, get a good read on CYA, and then just use a bit more chlorine to stay at SLAM level as much as you can between now and Saturday. As long as you can see bottom for safety, just let FC drop a smidge below SLAM and swim away on Saturday. Keep that pump running (with cartridge back in) as much as you can between now and then.
Sounds like a plan! Ty!!

Reactions: shwn2405
The cya was wrong. It's around 50-55. Got my pH adjusted, did the rest of the tests, and added my first batch of chlorine! 🤞

I can check/adjust it probably 2 times tonight still... say an hour from now and then another hour?

I guess so, or maybe I did something wrong the first time? I did it 2 times in a row today and both times were the same. It was about 50, maaaybe just a tad darker (if being picky). That makes much more sense because that's what I calculated for when I added the stabilizer.

*Edited to correct... my mind is 🤪 with all these different chemicals and tests right now lol

To save on chemicals, when do you start testing cc? Once you have clear water? I'm just testing fc and then adding bleach/chlorine to bring it back up to SLAM level.... is that ok?

She's still going. Finally just checked for the day and it's still only down to 18.5 (slam target 22). She's still really cloudy but I can slightly see the bottom.

Is it safe to swim? Should I keep SWG off while swimming all day too or should I turn it on for the bit of chlorine it can give?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Should I keep SWG off while swimming all day too or should I turn it on for the bit of chlorine it can give
You can have it help now if you'd like. At first you blow through more than the SWG could ever handle. But it will help some now and more help is never a bad thing. When it comes time for the Overnight Chlorine Loss Test, shut it off.

This cutie says THANK YOU for helping me get the pool safe for her birthday party! 🥳

I'm back on the slam. I'm down to 4 jugs of 7.55% germicidal bleach. Do you think it's worth an hour roundtrip drive to pick up 4 gallons of ultra shock? It says: Chlorine 15% by volume
Sodium hypochlorite 12.5% by weight.

Or could I maybe finish this off with more of the (local) Germicidal bleach? Would it be insane amounts?received_275140277353355.jpeg

what ever is cheaper and easier to get, what you have been using is working... :)
Well I've been using 10% but it's gone now. I have this 7.55% bleach close by, but would I need an insane amount of jugs? I'll drive the hour for Shock if I would need an insane amount of bleach jugs.

This cutie says THANK YOU for helping me get the pool safe for her birthday party! 🥳
Thank YOU for that. It makes it all SO worth it. :) :love:
Well I've been using 10% but it's gone now. I have this 7.55% bleach close by, but would I need an insane amount of jugs
You’ll need an even % more. A little over 1/3 more of the weaker kind. Up to you which one is more worth the time/cost. Bleach is bleach.

Thank YOU for that. It makes it all SO worth it. :) :love:

You’ll need an even % more. A little over 1/3 more of the weaker kind. Up to you which one is more worth the time/cost. Bleach is bleach.
That's probably not too bad then. Thanks! Can't wait to see her crystal clear again! 💕

Reactions: Newdude
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.