High CYA Levels Guidance

archer88

Dec 2, 2023
The Woodlands, Texas
New pool owner here in Texas. Purchased a home with a pool about 3 months back. Never had a pool before.
We retained the existing pool guy until last month after which we decided to maintain it ourselves. The pool had a floater and the pool guy used to refill them and I did the same.
The pool has been clear without any problems other than organic stains left behind by leaves falling on the pool floor. They used to disappear over the week but lately they don't seem to go away. Brushing didn't help. So I decided to test the chlorine levels and got the TFP Pro kit.

I took multiple samples and every time I got FC around 1-2 PPM and CC of zero . In the CYA tests the black dot disappeared before i got to 100. I did not try diluting.

Just to confirm my test results were right I ran to the nearest Pinch a penny and the numbers are as follows:
TC: 1 PPM
FC: 1 PPM
pH: 7.6
TA: 100 PPM
Stabilizer: 100 PPM
CH: 220PPM
TD: 500 PPM

The guy was not worried about the CYA levels at all. He just recommended I try shocking using liquid chlorine.

Based on TFP recommendations I plan to do this:
1. Get rid of pucks and move to liquid chlorine
2. Slowly replace the water (I can't do it all at once). Once summer comes there will be a lot of evaporation and hopefully the CYA levels will come down by then.
3. Raise the calcium levels

Am I missing anything here? I am wondering how there has been no algae etc with the FC levels being this low. The past 2 weeks we have had some rain as well.
Any other recommendations/suggestions are appreciated.

Last edited:
Welcome to TFP! Good job getting one of the recommended test kits. Now to move forward, you must determine how high your CYA really is.

Fill the CYA test bottle to the first line with pool water. Then use tap water and fill to the second or upper line. Shake then pour off this mixture back down to the first line. Add the CYA reagent to the upper line and test. Double your results.

TFP can’t recommend next steps without accurate CYA. Test then let us know.

Reactions: archer88
Slowly replace the water (I can't do it all at once).

Why is that?? I live in the DFW area and can fill a 15K pool for about $75 bucks...

I suspect your actual CYA level is way above 100 ppm.. Dilute and try the test again..

You did not get algae because I suspect that you were routinely adding bags of pool-store shock once a week...

Thanks,

Jim R.

Welcome to tfp 👋
Also please test your fill water ch so you know what you’re working with.
do you have an autofill?
If so, Is it connected to a softened line? If so test the softened water & the non softened water.
You can top off with a softener but you cannot replace large amounts of water with it.
Is this a vinyl or plaster pool?
many in tx have somewhat higher ch fill water & do not generally need to add calcium since they need to add water often throughout the summer to replace water lost to evaporation. The water evaporates but the Calcium doesn’t leave the pool so it continues to build over time.
Let us know what you have going on.

you must determine how high your CYA really is
Yes will do that tomorrow and report back
Why is that?? I live in the DFW area and can fill a 15K pool for about $75 bucks...
Do you mean like a service who will come replace the water? My statement was based on the thought process that I can't drain the pool using the release valve all at once.

bags of pool-store shock once a week
All I have been doing is refilling the floater with Clorox 3inch tablets. I have not used anything else.

Also please test your fill water ch so you know what you’re working with.
do you have an autofill?
Good point, I should test the fill water. I don't have an autofill and no softening system.

Last edited:
Do you mean like a service who will come replace the water? My statement was based on the thought process that I can't drain the pool using the release valve all at once.
Welcome to the forum.
You can buy a 1/2 hp sump pump off Amazon or Harbor Freight for less than $100. Or you can rent a high power sump pump from Home Depot for a day for about the same amount of $$. You then run the effluent to your sewer cleanout and drain the pool.
See Draining - Further Reading

2. Slowly replace the water (I can't do it all at once). Once summer comes there will be a lot of evaporation and hopefully the CYA levels will come down by then.

Evaporation will not lower CYA levels, but the CYA tends to break down 5-ish ppm per month in some places. You can raise the chlorine level now or replace a portion of it to reduce the CYA, but you need to figure out how far over 100 it is.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I would call that unmanageable. If it was my pool, I would take the necessary steps to get CYA 40-60 for now. Everything will be better.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Something to consider based on where, exactly, you’re located in Texas…….

Check with your utility company to find out if they do Winter Water Averaging. If you drain now it could affect
your water prices. Here in Plano the Winter Quarter Averaging goes like this:

The WQA will be calculated using the three lowest consumptions from the billing periods December through March. This will determine your average for the current winter quarter period. Next, the average from the two previous winter quarter periods will be added and re-averaged to create your current WQA. This process creates a continuous three year rolling average. Your new WQA is billed beginning in May of each year.

Benefits of Using WQA:​

• Sewer charges remain consistent each month
  • Three year rolling average spreads out the water use impact from weather conditions such as drought
  • THIS!!! —-> Allows customers opportunity to lower their sewer bill by reducing water use during winter months
  • Accounts for changing household (i.e. children moving back from college)
Welcome to TFP!

While the OP may or may not be subject to WWA, with a CYA of 200 the pool is unmanageable.

A 75% or more drain is the best solution right now.
Sooner rather than later is probably the best option.

@archer88 , where in Texas are you located? Put your city and state in your profile location.

Sorry, I updated the profile now. I am north of Houston in the Spring/Woodlands area.

I am not worried about the water charges per se, but just the prospect of draining the pool. I am a first time home owner as well, so I am nervous and don't want to mess anything up.

Well, the longer you wait the colder it will get.
Your weather is going to be in the mid 60's to mid 70's all week.
Perfect time for a drain/refill.

Do you happen to know what your water table is this time of year?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.