High CYA but from where?

bbates

Silver Supporter
Jul 2, 2017
Warren, OH
Hi Everyone

Jacuzzi J365 Hot Tub - 440 gallon capacity

I'm a newer hot tub owner (June 2018), but I've been using the TFP method in my pool for a couple of years. The new Pool Math app is fantastic!

I got out of our tub this morning and found a rash on my left forearm that was crazy itchy. After some google searches, I wasn't sure if it was hot tub folliculitis or not but it certainly got me investigating my tub. I am very diligent at keeping my water tested with a Taylor test kit and balanced using basic chemicals, Clorox, baking soda, boric acid, dry acid, etc. On rare occasion I use Potassium peroxymonosulfate but it is a rare addition.

A rarely test the CYA levels because I do not add CYA to the tub, never saw the point since it is always covered. But, due to my newly found itchy arm I decided to test anything and everything I could. As it turns out the CYA level was over 100! Obviously my 3.2 FC wasn't so go anymore and now I'm thinking folliculitis after all.

Test results this afternoon:
FC - 3.2
CC - 0.6
PH - 7.4
TA - 70
CH - 180
CYA - 100+
Borate - 50

I'm due for a water change this weekend (90 days), but before I dive in to a scrub down and water change, I wanted to get everyone's thoughts on how my CYA level got so high.

Chemicals that do I use:

Clorox Bleach 6%
Leisure Time Renew
Arm & Hammer Baking Soda
BioGuard Lo 'N Slo
Powered Boric Acid
Pool Season Calcium Increaser
Leisure Time Metal Gone

Any help would be appreciated.

One thing for sure, if CYA is in the water, you added it. It does not occur naturally.

None of those items appear to have CYA. I would say you should discontinue the use of the Clorox bleach. It has additives that can be detrimental to your spa water.

Bleach has to be pure liquid chlorine. No scents, no additives, not splashless, not containing Cloromax Technology, etc. Many bleach brands now contain additives to differentiate themselves. For your pool or spa you only want pure bleach. Read the labels carefully.

So, I found my source of CYA. I had mistakenly grabbed the bucket of CYA that I use for our pool thinking it was calcium....ugh.

So, I'm off to drain and clean the tub. Thanks for the advice regarding Clorox, I will be sure to use a different bleach.

Reactions: tmm1
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.