High Chlorine in SWG AGP

PamD

Oct 3, 2016
Wisconsin Rapids, WI
Hi all,
It's been a while because things have been going good. Opened the pool to clear water, basically had to add water, salt, a tad bit of bleach and a little baking soda. Chlorine did drop way low, so set swg to run 10 hrs. Forgot. :oops: Chlorine levels had been good. Today it's 11. TA is 90, CYA is 45, salt is 2800, PH 7.5. So I shut off the swg, and reset it to 6 hrs for when I start it up again... I am "assuming", but since everything else is fairly good, did the long timer cause the high chlorine? And should I let UV kick it down or should I drain? Temp is 72, so it's supposed to be mid to high 80's all week, so that's not an issue. I know I'll have to add alittle more baking soda. TIA
Pam
6000 gal agp.

Last edited:
Do not raise the TA, that will just make the pH go up faster.
Just turn down the SWG and go swimming, your FC is still perfectly safe and well below the listed SLAM level in the FC/CYA Levels.

And yes, running the SWG more added more FC.

I assume you meant 6000 gallon pool and not 600?

Last edited:
Do not raise the TA, that will just make the pH go up faster.
Just turn down the SWG and go swinging, your FC is still perfectly safe and well below the listed SLAM level in the FC/CYA Levels.

And yes, running the SWG more added more FC.

I assume you meant 6000 gallon pool and not 600?
Yes. Fixed that. lol... Thanks so much. The SWG manual says "preferred" CL at 5. Just freaked me out.

Forget about the manuals and pool industry/store recommendations. Follow the TFP recommended levels ;)

Also, you do not have to raise your CYA up if you do not want to. It is clear that your SWG is more than capable to keep up with the losses to the sun. And your WI sun is different than my AZ sun where the higher CYA is really a must. Raising your CYA would let you turn the SWG down a little more which could slightly increase its life expectancy.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.