DocEric

Aug 4, 2019
Indianapolis, IN
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi all - TFP has been a godsend. I was visiting my local L pool store several time a week and they kept telling me my water was fine, or advising various chemicals to dump in it, so I was running quite a bill. Liquid chlorine is a bit of a pain, but the TFP plan has my pool clean and sparkling, even though it is still a little blue from some L chemical.

Anyhow, my pool robot is picking up some small white pieces that I am assuming are calcium. I haven’t tried dissolving them yet, but you will note my total Alkalinity is high. Pool school said I should try to lower that into a normal range my aerating my pool and adding acid when the pH comes up.

The best I’ve been able to do is run the pool with the jets pointing up, but it doesn’t seem to do much to the pH (though during the day it does drop my chlorine faster). I usually cover the pool at night and when we’re not using it with the automatic cover to keep rain and debris out and slow chlorine loss. Any suggestions of how to better drop the pH so I can raise the TA?

Tests are all in my signature

Aeration has no effect on FC loss.

To raise pH aeration is the only way. It is actually out gassing of carbon dioxide.

How did your TA go from 120 9 days ago to 280 now?

If your pH is good your TA does not matter a lot in a fiberglass pool. Be patient and your pH will rise if your TA is really 280.

What is the pH and TA of your fill water?

How recent is your reagents?

The 120 was with a dipstick - when my reagents first arrived they were missing the key one for TA. Now I understand why I should not trust the dipsticks.

I haven’t checked the fill water. I’ll do that. I know the calcium is quite high (it’s quite hard).

The reagents are new.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.