Hi there!

Welcome Karm. I speak a *little* Boston so go easy on me, but here goes. Ahem.

Chowdah
Neil Diamond is wicked good
Go Sawks.

Reactions: KarMX
I don’t have the test kits because usually I test the water in a lab near me, the store provide free lab test for pools
Typically the pool stores aren’t so reliable. Well, at least the box store ones. There are some family run stores out there that ‘get it’. I was in a Leslies once and I cringed when I saw the 15 year old behind the counter doling out advice, and LARGE purchases. ‘No I will not purchase more than your weekly paycheck based on your *experience*’.

It can be done right, but they need the machine calibrated weekly and each customer needs their own new testing cartridge/syringe instead of rinsing them off with tap water. A few drops of the last customers water, or the rinse water from the sink can throw off your small test sample if the machine was reliable in the first place.

also for annecdotal purposes, When we bought my house we got the oil company deal where we got a free yearly furnace tune up if we had a contract with the company. When I had a friend come for a repair a few years later he asked me if I was an idiot. I was paying the company who sold me my heating oil to keep my furnace as efficient as possible, which was a conflict of interest. If I blew black smoke out the chimney, they sold me more oil. My furnace was far from cleaned/serviced like it was supposed to be, and suprise suprise, it was a National oil company. I dropped them as soon as the contract was up and paid one local guy to deliver my oil and my other local buddy to fix/service the furnace.