help!

Yes, as long as your CYA is not completely zero (you used pucks so it is not) then 5 is a safe level to be in. Even if CYA is zero 5 isn't dangerous except to swimwear :wink:

The pool store did say it was 0, but I have consistently used 3" tablets to maintain chlorine levels so I don't see how that is possible. Should I leave the floater with the tablet out or in??

leave it out, wait to do your own testing before doing anything to adjust CYA up or down. I don't trust the results you got one bit. Most pool stores at least get pH right but you verified that theirs were completely wrong. Throw those test results out and pretend they never existed.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
My pool wasn't as green as yours is, but we are currently on day 3 of the SLAM process and have used 12 (122 oz) 8.25% jugs of bleach. Our pool looks awesome right now but we are still losing FC so we are continuing with the SLAM process until we pass the over-night test. It is a slow, dedicated process but I promise it works! Test as often as you can when you get your kit and keep adding bleach.

I went to the pool store yesterday to double check my numbers (test kit is 18 months old and I was doubting my numbers) and the pool store guy tried to sell me things that would clear my pool in 1 day... but he said I would always have issues with algae. We've had our pool almost two years and have never had an issue with algae thanks to following BBB with a SWG! We went out of town and my son had a pool party with a lot of kids + we had a lot of rain = algae. Complete the SLAM process and keep your numbers where they are supposed to be and you will have a beautiful pool!

Kelly,

I'm gonna be at work most this weekend, so I'll post my suggestion to you here so that others can help you out.

You are at a major advantage having a smaller above ground pool on this case. Often, the only time a drain is suggested is from high CYA, however in your case I feel its a good idea. For $30 you can be swimming in a day.

1. Drain your pool leaving a foot of water to prevent wrinkles.
2. Fill with fresh water
3. Add the CYA to raise to a 20. To do this you will add 1 pound of the stabilizer you bought. Do not use pucks or powdered shock to raise the level. At this point it will be easy for you to overshoot your goal using these products. Stick with 1lb of stabilizer.
4. Add 65oz (8cups) of 8% bleach with the pump running.
5. Test and adjust PH as needed.
6. If water is clear.......go swimming.

Daily until your K-2006 arrives,
Test PH and FC and adjust as needed. Keep the FC a dark yellow at all times, as this will hold off more algae. As soon as you get your new kit, post full test results.

The majority of the time I wouldn't suggest a drain, as there are many unknowns here. At this point however I would for the sake of time. For $30 you'll skip a lot of work.

Keep reading pool school and asking questions. Just remember,
It's only water!

I am about down to 2ft of water in the drain process. Found quite a few pecans from our tree on the bottom(maybe this was my problem?) Been using a net on and off through the day catching debris, but at 2 ft of water still can't see much, kinda going on feel. Kit is en-route via ups due to arrive Monday as of now. I've also ordered a vacuum, and a pool cover to prevent further debris from invading the pool.

Okay, I got down to the ft of water and I have a good bit of dirt on the bottom. I have a garden hose vac which seems to slowly be getting it, but some it I think is just going rite through the little bag. Any ideas how to get it out?

After you refill with water, brush often and let the filter get it. Unless your vacuum gets there first....then vacuum with that.

I got the vacuum today it was the garden hose style. I'm about half full now, it seems to be picking up a good bit just taking forever! Lol. Vacuum then let it settle, vacuum then let it settle...Kit is due to arrive Monday!

We got a full clean pool now, maintaining chlorine levels around 6 while waiting for ups to deliver the kit today, sock with 1 lb of cya dissolved, but here is my question. Woke up yesterday to a full pool and did my little oto tests, and my ph was testing WAY above what these drop kits read. It was purple, so I estimated 8.5 cause I didn't want to "overmedicate." Added the 15oz of MA waited about an hour, tested again, it tested at 8.0. Used MA accordingly to drop to 7.4 approximately(color-matching sucks!). the kids swam and I tested last night before bed and all was well. Woke up this morning and tested again, chlorine @ 6 and ph back wayyy above testing range. That beautiful shade of purple again. Added more MA, waiting for it to be time to run another test. Is it normal upon complete refill to battle high ph? Any reccomendations until this kit arrives today?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.