Help!!!!

Flippy

Jan 8, 2011
Richmond, Texas
I just changed out my pool filter for the first time. After the first day when the pump turns off all of the water just freely flows backwards through the system and floods the skimmers to push the lids open. Also one of the two skimmers now seems to be clogged as when i switch the valves from one to the other the second one just draws no water. WHAT have I done?

I read through your extensive signature, but I cannot find what kind of filter you have! Could you just put the pool operating equipment towards the top with all the bells and whistles afterward? Would really help me!

Let me add that for some time when it is cold I can tell that the pump is sucking in air somewhere as I see bubbles coming out of the return lines as well as bubbles in the skimmer. When it warms up it seems to stop. I have tried several times to find the suction side leak but have never been able to track it down.

OH NO! I would take a very close look at the new and old filters right by each other. Is the new one different at all? Are you sure you seated it just right? Did you knock something when you are taking them out or putting it in? Lets start with the simple first.

Flippy, now might be a good time to post a pic of your equipment pad. With an elevated spa, it's possible water is always ready to flow downhill if not sealed/blocked, so you may have an open air leak and/or actuator valve issue allowing water to flow backwards. When you say, "I just changed out my pool filter for the first time.", I'm assuming you only changed the internal cartridges correct? Or did you replace the entire filter? Just wanted to confirm.

I just changed the cartridge. I also actually figured out part of the issue. The weir door on one of the skimmers was stuck closed causing tons of air to get sucked in. However I still do not know where the suction side leak is coming from when it is cold. I imagine it is a seal somewhere but have never been able to track it down. Warm weather will be here soon and it will be a non issue again until the fall. If anyone has any ideas how to track down the leak please let me know. I have replaced the strainer basket seal as well as the plug on the bottom of the pump.

Wrap the valves (one at a time) with plastic wrap and see if the air stops. Take the handle off first so you can wrap it easier.

Reactions: Flippy

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Just a follow up. I finally figured out all of my pool problems. When I replaced the filter I knew I had a small suction side leak which has never caused a problem. When the new filter was put in I guess the water flow was so much better that it was sucking more air into the filter. When the pump shut off it caused the water to rush out and pop the skimmer lids off. I didn't know that happened the first time because my son put them back on. Next day pool starts up and runs fine and shuts off while I am away. I come back home to find one of the simmer lids off. I put it on and start the hot tub which runs fine as far as I could tell. Later after we got out of the hot tub I turned it back to pool and noticed no water coming into pump. Well that was caused by the weir door breaking from the rush of water on one skimmer. Keeping the water from flowing in. This lead me now to seriously figure out my suction side leak which I found at the 3 way spa / pool pump valve. 20 bucks later for a new weir door and gaskets and I am back in business. Just waiting to get my new refill on the test kit and summer to arrive. Thanks for everyone's help. Swim on!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.