Help with underground piping

Hello everyone,

Bought a house with a 18X36 rectangular pool 5 years ago so i'm still constantly learning a lot of things. One problem i noticed is that an underground pipe(elbow) on the return line by my concrete pad is leaking. I dug about 3 feet to access one pipe is vertical then horizontal to the ground connected by and barbed elbows with clamps on both sides . The pipe is black and hard but i think its an old polypipe they use to use in old pools. Not sure how to replace it ...do i cut the pipes and install couplings and a new elbow? or do i heat up the pipe so i can take out the old elbow and insert a new one? which is the best way to do this? thanks for your help!

Hi - I just joined this forum and I don't know much about pools (yet), but I have worked a lot with that kind of pipe. I recommend against heating it - that often leaves you with a pipe that won't seal tight no matter how much you tighten the hose clamps. I also recommend against cutting the horizontal piece, if you can avoid it. When you go to install the new elbow, you will need to exert quite a bit of force and it doesn't look like you have much room to work on it in this photo. If you can remove the old fitting without cutting the pipe, then the new fitting will go in that much easier because the pipe will be slightly expanded where the old fitting had stretched it. I would try removing the hose clamps and then tapping sideways on the vertical part with a mallet to see if you can pop it out of the end of the horizontal pipe.

You should be OK to cut the vertical piece: I'm assuming that when you go to assemble it, you have plenty of room to apply force straight down. Just support the elbow with something so that you don't wind up bending the horizontal piece when you push the vertical piece on to the elbow.

Before installing the new elbow, try to dig it out a little more so that you won't get any dirt on the new fitting: dirt in the joint would make it harder to install. Some lubricant would be helpful. I used to use Vaseline for this kind of project but silicone grease might be a better choice, especially if this is upstream of any sort of chlorinator. I'd probably try to tap the elbow in with something like a short 2x4. When you reinstall the hose clamps, make sure that the screws are on opposite sides of the pipe, just like in your picture. You'll get a slightly better seal if the screws are pulling in opposite directions.

Good luck!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.