Help with pump motor

Roughly 5/6 years ago I replaced my single speed motor with a dual speed. Replaced the motor only, added a switch and all has been well for that amount of time. Recently I had some water leaking which I ignored and I think that intrusion killed the motor today. I already have a new seal/repair kit but am trying to find a new motor. Searches are not coming up with many this size. It is a 1-1/8hp, 230v dual speed with a 56J frame. Anyway have any good resources for finding motors? I am getting a lot of 1.5hp. Could I "upgrade" to that? What else would I need to change if I did so? I have attached a picture of the motor label...what's left of it.

Attachments

• 20220711_123608.jpg
    20220711_123608.jpg
    443.5 KB · Views: 13
Your current motor is 1.68 thp. That is the nameplate hp 1.125 times the SF of 1.5.

Dual speed motors are going to be obsolete when current stocks are gone. They can no longer be manufactured for use in the USA.

Well isn't that great. Guess that explains why they are hard to find. I just set up new switches etc last year to tie power and speed switching into my home automation setup too.

There are vs motors available. V Green is one model. Just have to match to your wet end and be sure the impeller is matched.

Your motor is 1hp on high, 1/8 hp on low. It is not a 1 1/8 horsepower motor.
The total horsepower is 1.5. A V-Green 165 will work with your impeller and a regular timeclock. What pump? There are different styles of motor.

Your motor is 1hp on high, 1/8 hp on low. It is not a 1 1/8 horsepower motor.
The total horsepower is 1.5. A V-Green 165 will work with your impeller and a regular timeclock. What pump? There are different styles of motor.
Thank you. I didn't know that was how the numbers were to be read. I don't really want to go VS unless I absolutely have to. I see I will probably have to eventually but don't really want to do that now. I just put a decent amount of time and money building a z wave control system for the 2 speed pump I had. I can control my on/off and speed control remotely which allows me to set up all of my scheduling to be automatic...very similar to a VS set up though with only the 2 speeds.

The pump is a Hayward max-flo. I think the model number is SP2800X.

When you get the VS you wont need a bunch of speed changes. Just run it fast enough to keep you skimmers/SWG functioning. Then crank it up when you manual vac.

When you get the VS you wont need a bunch of speed changes. Just run it fast enough to keep you skimmers/SWG functioning. Then crank it up when you manual vac.
Thank you; that is essentially how I have my 2 speed set up now. It runs 8hrs/day on low during the week. It switches to high on the weekends when I run the vacuum. My current setup does all of this automatically and I can monitor/change status anywhere using my home automation app.

VS isn't out of the question, just trying to avoid it if I can.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
New developments. As I recently had the run capacitor go out on my AC system and had to figure out how to replace that, I started reading about the capacitors on pool pumps. Mine has 2. Checked capacitance on both; the start cap was at 0 while the run cap seemed to be fine. I went ahead and ordered replacements for both. $25 and will be here Thursday. I'll try that and hopefully that works. If not, I'm out $25 and need to replace the pump.

Century ECM16CU motor will work on your pump. You can use your existing setup to power it on and its internal timer to change speeds. There are videos on Century's site to show how to use this motor with a regular timeclock. Just substitute your control for what it says about an Intermatic clock.

Reactions: Blivit79
Update: SUCCESS! New caps arrived today. Did a quick check with them compared to the old ones and the old ones were definitely bad. Installed them and the pump worked. Replaced all the seals and gaskets while everything was apart and no more water leak either. Happy spending $25 over $400+. I will cross the VS pump bridge next time.

Reactions: Texas Splash
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.