Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
Hello, all,

At our old home we had an AG traditional chlorine pool and you guys were super helpful teaching me about operating it. So now I am coming to you looking for additional advice. My husband and I are about to purchase a 16’ x 32’ with 8’ deep end inground pool (21,000+gallons). This go around we want to do salt water. In the quote the pool company included the Jandy Tru Clear SWG system. After a little research I have decided that isn’t a great option. I want to get a Pentair IC 40 but it looks like they are no where to be found. I have also been looking at the Hayward Goldline W3AQR15 rated at 40,000 gallon. I know it needs to be 1.5-2 x the pool volume. Any advice on SWG systems?

Where I really need help is understanding the pump I need. The pool quote included a 0.75 HP Jandy single speed pump. From reading online and this forum it sounds like a better option is a 2 speed or vairiable speed pump, which will be more $$ on the front end but save on electricity usage. Can someone help me understand my pump needs better like minimum/maximum horsepower? Also how long to run the pump and SWG System?

Thanks in advance from Virginia!

The Pentair or Hayward SWCG will work just fine.

A VS pump is the best choice. Size does not really matter. If you will have no water features at all, then a 1.5 hp Superflo VST from Pentair will work. But an Intelliflo VS, even at 3 hp, will work fine too. VS pump is variable hp, you just run it at the rpm needed for the function it is handling. Are you thinking of some kind of automation? Pentair has basic systems that would allow you to manage pump run time and rpm, SWCG run time and % setting, etc remotely.

Pump run time will depend entirely on the pool and how long you need to run the SWCG. With a VS pump, you might find running it at low rpm 24 hours a day works great. Then adjust the SWCG to generate the amount of FC you need each day.

The Pentair or Hayward SWCG will work just fine.

A VS pump is the best choice. Size does not really matter. If you will have no water features at all, then a 1.5 hp Superflo VST from Pentair will work. But an Intelliflo VS, even at 3 hp, will work fine too. VS pump is variable hp, you just run it at the rpm needed for the function it is handling. Are you thinking of some kind of automation? Pentair has basic systems that would allow you to manage pump run time and rpm, SWCG run time and % setting, etc remotely.

Pump run time will depend entirely on the pool and how long you need to run the SWCG. With a VS pump, you might find running it at low rpm 24 hours a day works great. Then adjust the SWCG to generate the amount of FC you need each day.
Thank you! The pool kit comes with a Jandy single speed and can be upgraded to a VS. I am not sure if other brands are available.

As far as automation- I don’t really know anything about it!🤷‍♀️ I know that I want to be able to control the pump and SWG so that I don’t have to run 24 hrs per day if I don’t need to. I was thinking a timer would give me that flexibility. We typically stay close to home so I don’t feel like having to control things remotely is necessary. We are also working on a budget, but I am trying to factor in longer term savings in addition to the upfront costs.

Issue with Jandy products are you tied to a pool company for any interaction with that equipment. They are not DIY friendly. So consider that. I am sure Jandy has a VS pump that would be acceptable. I am not sure if they have a simple automation system or not.

If you are forced to go with Jandy - request the AquaPure 1400 (rated at 35k gals but more importantly it is 1.25 lbs per day of Chlorine) as that has better reliability then the Tru-Clear (based on reviews in this forum and others). . See this link for comparison

I thought it was mandatory after July of this year that main circulating pumps had to be of VS variety. Jandy makes several different models and VS gives you more options with a SWCG with regard to run times, speed, etc to manage your pool.

The main automation for Jandy is AquaLink RS system. The base system is a RS-4. It would control pump, automated valves, lights, water feature, & Jandy SWCG, etc. There is another system called AquaLink Z4 but I do not know much about it but listed as an "affordable" system but gives basic controls of pump, lights and water feature.

Issue with Jandy products are you tied to a pool company for any interaction with that equipment. They are not DIY friendly. So consider that. I am sure Jandy has a VS pump that would be acceptable. I am not sure if they have a simple automation system or not.
Thanks for the input. There is so much to a new install it is overwhelming to a newbie!

Thanks for the input. There is so much to a new install it is overwhelming to a newbie!
There are lots of good info in the wiki noted at the bottom of the page to help you. Maybe break it down as follows
Pool Design - type (gunite, vinyl, fiberglass), layout, volume, depth, with or without a spa, construction plans, etc.
Equipment - mfg, pump, filter, heater if needed, SWCG, plumbing layout, lighting, type of automation or control
Pool Finishing - plaster type & color, coping, waterline tile & decking

while this is not all encompassing, it allows you focus on the relevant tasks

I personally wouldn't bother with expensive addon timer systems and smart boxes that come with the pump and/or SWCG. Especially if you want to save $. Those things are typically overpriced for what they are.

Buy a $5 timer plug from the hardware store and run your gear off that. Heck, spend $10, and get a wifi smart plug you can program. Soooo much better value.

IMHO, smart plug tech has rendered complex, expensive, proprietary control boxes obsolete.

Also how long to run the pump and SWG System?
There are many options here. Your swg run time depends on how much FC you need added per day to react with contaminants and offset chlorine loss from UV in the sun. This varies during the year from 2-4 ppm during hot summers and less than 1 ppm during winter. Many people run the pump at very low speeds after basic filtering is completed and run it 24 hrs per day. Then you set your swg run time so that you make enough FC for the time of year you are in. This means you adjust run time a couple times per year. Typically mine ranged from 4 to 10 hrs. If you size the swg using TFP's guide of 2x your pool size this is typical. You can use Pool Math to help figure this out for your specific size and swg model. VS pump is highly recommended so you get maximum flexibility and can keep your pump power consumption to minimum.

I hope this helps.

Chris

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.