Help with Pool water balancing

The 1ppm loss threshold was created with the assumption you are at or near shock FC level.
If you are at lower/normal FC levels, 1ppm may be excessive and I would not want to see more than 0.5ppm.

Hi,

Ok, I got my trusty speed stir, TFT FAS/DPD and TFT CYA.
Results:

TFT results:
CYA: 30 - 35 (assuming I am doing it right)
FC: 8.5
CC: 1
----------------------------------
LaMotte
PH: 7.5
FC: 5.0
TA: 133
CYA: 43

Looking at the black dot is not easy.. I am not sure exactly when I can't see it. You are staring at a dot and I can't tell if it is gone or it is burned in my Retina... does that make since? Is CYA temp dependent? My water is 87 degrees F, but I let it cool off for twenty to thirty minutes.

Thanks
Joe
PS. speedstir is cool! :p

CYA is not an easy test, it takes some getting used to. The available light has a LOT to do with the accuracy of the test. Best to test outsdide on a sunny day. Turn your back to the sun, hold the vial at waist level and squirt the solution in.

CYA is temp dependent to some degree if the water is cold. Best to let cold water warm to room temperature. Im not aware of any temp issue when the water is above about 70 ish... maybe someone else a bit more knowledgeable about that will chime in.

Hi,

Ok, I got my trusty speed stir, TFT FAS/DPD and TFT CYA.
Results:

CYA: 30 - 35
FC: 8.5
CC: 1

Looking at the black dot is not easy.. I am not sure exactly when I can't see it. You are starting at a dot and I can't tell if it is gone or it is burned in my Retina... does that make since? Is CYA temp dependent? My water is 87 degrees F, but I let it cool off for twenty to thirty minutes.

Thanks
Joe
PS. speedstir is cool! :p

Ok,
The CC and FC with TFT is very reproducible.

FC - 6.5/6.5/6.5
CC - 1.0/1.0/1.0
CYA - 32/32/32

Looks like I can lower my FC to 4-5 based on my CYA.

Lamotte: PH and TA are accurate. CYA not so much. (45,48,43) FC not so much (5.0/4.0/4.8).

Conclusions: No draining of pool required (you were all right) and I should(will) SLAM the pool to kill anything that might be growing based on a CC of 1.0

Thanks again everyone.

Hi,

Could someone please look at my numbers. I finished SLAMing my pool. I have TFT for FC, TA, CC, CH and CYA. My CC is 0.5. The water is clear. My question is with respect to the TA and CSI. Are these worrisome for a vinyl pool? My PH is 7.8, I suppose I could get the TA down with acid?

I sold my ColorQ Pro 6. That test gave me a CYA of 47. I think I have the TFT CYA down and I consistently get 30-35.

Thanks everyone.

Joe

FC-6
PH-7.8
CC-0.5
CYA- 30-35
TA - 180
CH - 225
Water Temp - 87F

Last edited:
Your pH is at the top end of the comfort zone, so it's time to lower it with acid. As a side benefit, TA will slowly go down. Once you plug your numbers into poolmath and it gives you the dose for pH, you can go down below to Effects of Adding Chemicals and see how much the TA should lower. It may not be enough to show up on the test after just one application, but in a few weeks it will be down. It's not critical anyway, you're at low risk of scaling right now and no risk of etching the plaster with a vinyl pool.

Hello
I just received my new TF-100 refill kit yesterday (all new reagents) and did comprehensive testing of my pool water today. I did a partial drain (70%) in April 15. I tested the CYA three times since I drained the pool and got 20-30 range. I only use bleach for my CL source.

Here are my results:

FC-3
PH-7.5
CC-0.5
CYA- 0
TA - 90
CH - 200
Water Temp - 87F

my concern is the CYA. Prior to doing a partial drain, my CYA was about 50. Now it is zero, the CYA reagent added to the pool water is almost crystal clear. Therefore I postulated that the new R13 reagent that came yesterday was defective. So I used another bottle from last year (APR 2015) and got the same results. My worry is that an indoor pool should be accumulating some CC since it has no sunlight to burn it off.

What, if anything am I doing wrong, and what do I need to be concerned about.

Thanks

Best

Joe

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.