Help with if I can utilize Pentair IntelliConnect and what I need?

offtheclock

Silver Supporter
Dec 30, 2020
Greenville, SC
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Hey all. Just got a heater installed and want to be able to schedule, program and control pump, swg, lights and heater through the Pentair App. Currently use pump with constant power to control its run time and timer to turn on/off SWG and light switch for lights. Can you take a look at my equipment and let me know if it will do everything above and what I will need to order for a seamless install? My PB does not use this unit so I would need to order online and have electrician install. Also please let me know negatives or if work around will have to be out in place. Thank you!

Equipment:
Pentair SuperFlo Model 342002
Pentair IntelliChlor IC40
Pentair IntelliChlor control box
Pentair MicroBright lights w/Intermatic control box and light switch
Pentair MasterTemp 400 Heater

Attachments

• AF25C96B-E0B8-4F5D-A39B-3BB853040F8F.jpeg
    AF25C96B-E0B8-4F5D-A39B-3BB853040F8F.jpeg
    367 KB · Views: 26
  • 849C196D-D4E7-4CFB-A7EF-B33D68E0D4C0.jpeg
    849C196D-D4E7-4CFB-A7EF-B33D68E0D4C0.jpeg
    420.4 KB · Views: 25
  • 840856F2-F331-4849-A3E2-BD50179AEBB3.jpeg
    840856F2-F331-4849-A3E2-BD50179AEBB3.jpeg
    604.4 KB · Views: 23
  • 52BA214C-2708-4188-B50C-747F46FBB7CF.jpeg
    52BA214C-2708-4188-B50C-747F46FBB7CF.jpeg
    478.9 KB · Views: 24
  • 1C8B2DAF-E978-461B-A34B-0CE2D972E29B.jpeg
    1C8B2DAF-E978-461B-A34B-0CE2D972E29B.jpeg
    542.5 KB · Views: 22
  • 6D213AD5-D78C-4691-88B6-DD19BA4A4D44.jpeg
    6D213AD5-D78C-4691-88B6-DD19BA4A4D44.jpeg
    601.4 KB · Views: 25
  • 0D1B8417-A313-43A8-928D-1E90E08DCEA2.jpeg
    0D1B8417-A313-43A8-928D-1E90E08DCEA2.jpeg
    296.4 KB · Views: 26
  • C7BD9A4B-81EF-4641-B83B-64F231D41AB7.jpeg
    C7BD9A4B-81EF-4641-B83B-64F231D41AB7.jpeg
    299.8 KB · Views: 27
  • 8A4B8DA5-CA06-407B-B6FA-28B0C67E4A23.jpeg
    8A4B8DA5-CA06-407B-B6FA-28B0C67E4A23.jpeg
    352.3 KB · Views: 26
  • 19E4C508-AF96-404A-B505-40A180F45C4B.jpeg
    19E4C508-AF96-404A-B505-40A180F45C4B.jpeg
    284.4 KB · Views: 27
off,

The IntelliConnect cannot control the SuperFlo VS. Says so right in the manual.

Thanks,

Jim R.
B1C962AC-B6F4-4AF9-B545-95615EFC86AE.png

I am reading so much different information that’s why I posted on TFP. Saw this on the Pentair questions portion of website. I have the newer model and some type of port on the side of my pump. I do not know if it is the RS485 port though.

Do you have the manual for your pump? If so, take a look at Page 5. This capture is from the manual posted on Pentair's site for Model #342002. The revision date on the last page of the manual is 10/8/20. See the first note...

Cap1.jpg

I would try to contact Pentair directly and inquire. Point out the inconsistencies and info from the manual.

Here's a recent thread on incompatibility. Maybe you can message or ping the OP, @bubby4113:

Off,

There are two different "confusions..." :scratch:

The original SuperFlo VS did not have an RS-485 port, so obviously could not be controlled by any automation system over the RS-485 com port.

SuperFlo pumps built after 10/15/20 should have a fully operational RS-485 port. This seems to work with other Pentair automation systems, such as the EasyTouch, IntelliTouch, and IntelliCenter, but the SuperFlo VS manual specifically states that it will not work with the IntelliConnect.

As brought up in the links by Mike above, some Pentair techs have unfortunately said the new SuperFlo will work with the IntelliConnect, when they really meant that the new SuperFlo VS pumps have an RS-485 port, that works with other Pentair automation systems, just not the IntelliConnect.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Off,

There are two different "confusions..." :scratch:

The original SuperFlo VS did not have an RS-485 port, so obviously could not be controlled by any automation system over the RS-485 com port.

SuperFlo pumps built after 10/15/20 should have a fully operational RS-485 port. This seems to work with other Pentair automation systems, such as the EasyTouch, IntelliTouch, and IntelliCenter, but the SuperFlo VS manual specifically states that it will not work with the IntelliConnect.

As brought up in the links by Mike above, some Pentair techs have unfortunately said the new SuperFlo will work with the IntelliConnect, when they really meant that the new SuperFlo VS pumps have an RS-485 port, that works with other Pentair automation systems, just not the IntelliConnect.

Thanks,

Jim R.
That would be disappointing. Was liking the low price entry point on this. Looks like I need to look at another automation system. Any recommendations for my equipment?

Off,

Most automations systems are not interchangeable. Basically, we always recommend sticking with the same brand for the SWCG, Pump, and Automation. As you have found out, even then things do not always work out. Have you already used the SuperFlo VS? If not, maybe return if and get the IntelliFlo.

Sorry,

Jim R.

Off,

Most automations systems are not interchangeable. Basically, we always recommend sticking with the same brand for the SWCG, Pump, and Automation. As you have found out, even then things do not always work out. Have you already used the SuperFlo VS? If not, maybe return if and get the IntelliFlo.

Sorry,

Jim R.
It’s been in use for four months now. Reading though Pentair offerings everything they reference is for the Intelliflow and not Superflo so I am wondering mine has the cable plug. I put a call into Pentair and will report back.

It’s been in use for four months now. Reading though Pentair offerings everything they reference is for the Intelliflow and not Superflo so I am wondering mine has the cable plug. I put a call into Pentair and will report back.

Note that the cable plug for the Intelliflo is different then the Superflow. The IntelliFlo is 7 pins and the Superflo is 8 pins. They use different connectors.

Ok I am going to hold off on automation for now since I believe that Pentair is eventually going to get heater control integrated into the IntelliSync. The IntelliSync will control my Superflo through the Pentair App and does have a heater hookup now but does not currently have the support for it. With that being said I need figure out the best way for power to my MasterTemp Heater. Currently my Superflo is connected to constant power 220V and I use the touchpad for pump programming and my SWG is hooked to the Intermatic Timer and 220V. I also I have a 110V outlet out there for my outdoor lighting, MicroBright Lights and for when I need to run the robot. Is it best to hook Mastertemp to constant power 110V and then I can manually turn it on and off while pump is running or should it be ran with some type of timer to turn on and off with in the pump run time? I did read that pump needs to run for 5 minutes after heater stops.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Is it best to hook Mastertemp to constant power 110V and then I can manually turn it on and off while pump is running or should it be ran with some type of timer to turn on and off with in the pump run time? I did read that pump needs to run for 5 minutes after heater stops.

Control the MasterTemp manually using its control panel.

You can run a 2 wire cable to somewhere in the house to turn the heater on and off using the "firemans switch". But you should always verify the pump is running before turning the heater on.

If you use a timer and it ever gets out of synch with the pump and turns on the heater when the pump is off the heater can get seriously damaged. I would not take that risk.

Last edited:
Control the MasterTemp manually using its control panel.

You can run a 2 wire cable to somewhere in the house to turn the heater on and off using the "firemans switch". But you should always verify the pump is running before turning the heater on.

If you use a timer and it ever gets out of synch with the pump and turns on the heater when the pump is off the heater can get seriously damaged. I would not take that risk.
Sorry I am alittle confused. Are stating just to run constant power to heater and use control pad only to turn on and off or somehow also use firemans switch on heater and my timer to turn off?

If you have a little bit of DIY in you, you can automate all that equipment and more with Nixie.
This includes the SuperFlo, IntelliChlor, MasterTemp, and MicroBrite.
Thanks for the info. Looks way beyond me. Going to wait alittle while and go with something from Pentair that my PB can support.

Reactions: rstrouse
The IntelliSync will control my Superflo through the Pentair App and does have a heater hookup now but does not currently have the support for it.

Reading the Pentair Home manual, rstrouse deduced that both the IntelliConnect and IntelliSync use similar hardware and all scheduling appears to be done on the pump and not the controller.

Since the IntelliConnect has no scheduling it instead relies on the pump scheduler. The Intelliflo can be programmed with up to 4 schedules but the Superflo only has 1 scheduled start time. Theoretically not sure why that can't be programmed directly on the Superflo and then the RS-485 connection is just used for pump status so the controller knows when it's running or not.

Last edited:
That's correct Jim, I was just stating that it should be feasible. Who knows if someone tried it might even work just for pump status - we do know it's unable at present to set the schedule on a Superflo VST. It's interesting that the IntelliSync supports the Superflo so it appears to be a software restriction.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jimrahbe
Well after fumbling around with controls all last summer at the equipment pad trying to keep pump on when we wanted heater on later in the evenings we just had our PB order the Pentair EasyTouch 8 with screen logic. Looking forward to a much easier process and not having to set timers, change my IC% around and remember to turn heater on and off.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.