Help with identifying heater assembly

Nov 4, 2017
Ma
I have a 2017 Sundance Chelsee (780 series) wired for 240v/60a. My GFCI started tripping which I narrowed down the heater (doesn’t trip once I disconnect the heater).

It’s a 5year old hot tub, so I’m planning to just replace the whole assembly. But I am looking to confirm the exact replacement unit. Is anyone able to help? Thanks in advance

There are different quality/service life replacements and the element can be had separately if you are the DIY type.

With a SWG and 5 year service on the original, it was likely titanium (best type)...

Yes I think it is titanium (OEM). I don’t suppose it’s easy to confirm a replacement will fit online? Or do I need to remove the existing assembly and post a pic?

Mine had a model# on the control pack, and insde that I believe I recall seeing a part# on the heater.

Calling the manufacturer might yield the same info?

Edit; possibly less reliably, replacement lookup by make and model, resources like Amazon, SpaDepot.com, and similar that others may suggest.

Last edited:
Figured it out. It’s a 6500-412… unfortunately right behind the circuit panel and with no shutoff valves in the pvc. So looking like a full drain before replacing. Ah well, should only be a $200 repair.

Figured it out. It’s a 6500-412… unfortunately right behind the circuit panel and with no shutoff valves in the pvc. So looking like a full drain before replacing. Ah well, should only be a $200 repair.

I didn't see one either on the equipment panel side, but had called customer service for something else and asked. They said one was located on the adjacent side. Maybe it's worth asking the manufacturer?

$200 must be shell with sensors. You can probably get the element for $20 - $30. I've read they can be tricky to position and esy to damage the epoxy in the terminals though.

Reactions: bradgray
I agree, should be a universal element that fits a standard 2" x 15" tube, 5.5kw, should be all you need to order. Thats if it's indeed 6500-412, that model was superceded by 6500-087. Which is in most Jacuzzi J Series spas. HydroQuip makes most OEM elements and are easy to snag online.

But as asked, a photo is helpful to be sure we are giving you correct advice. Sundance has lots of different "if, and, or, but" stuff going on with parts.

Was able to snag a picture before removal. View attachment 467139
Universal elements should fit. It's a 15 x 2 tube. Posts are 1.25" spread. You can find titanium models for about $60.

You'll need multiple small wrenches (adjustable crescent won't work, they're too fat) on the posts to avoid cracking the epoxy when you install the element (lengthy to explain, youtube probably has videos of it) and sliding it in can be cumbersome if its your first time. If you want to avoid the hassle, your ~$200 options may pay for themselves. I found a few for just over $130.

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.