Help with cloudy pool

Jun 27, 2016
Southborough
Pool opened 10 days ago, still blue and milky, looking for help to clear it up.
1. Last year, before closing, water was cloudy and I didn't totally clear it up before closing.
2. This year pool was opened 10 days ago. All green and algae.
3. Add 12 gallons liquid pool shock first, after overnight, FC was 0, so I add 2 gallon algaeacid, not much help.
4. Then I add 10 lb granule chlorine once, next day or two, add another 10 lb. Pool green is gone, became blue and cloudy.
5. Tried pool clarifier, didn't improve.
6. Add 3. Qts phosphate remover, still not help.
7. 3 days ago, added 24 oz pool flocculant, wait for 48 hrs, getting better, but didn't totally clear, can see the bottom at shallow end, not deep end.
8. Yesterday, vacuum the bottom, pool now blue and milky, FC reading is ok to high with test strips.
With test strips reading, FC is good, PH is a little low, TA is a little low, stabilizer is low. I am using SWG, salt level is 3600.
What should I do to make the pool clear?

Welcome to the forum!
Well, you have a chemical soup. The floc and algaecide are going to create a mess that may be hard to clean up.
You need to follow the SLAM Process. To do that, you need a proper test kit, see Test Kits Compared. I suggest the TF-100 A proper test kit is needed to get the accurate water chemistry results needed to follow the TFP protocols.

I suggest that while you are waiting on your test kit, add 5 ppm FC worth of liquid chlorine / plain bleach to your pool each evening with the pump running. This will replenish the FC lost each day to the sun and also inhibit any algae in the water from growing further.
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Welcome to TFP! After you get your test kit you can post up your results & we’ll help u get where you wanna go ?

Got my test kit. This is my first test reading:
ph 7.2
ci > 5 ( yellower than top)
FC 10ppm
CC 0
TC 10ppm
CH 120 ppm
TA 110
CYA 60 ppm

Pool still cloudy. Pump is keep running and salt water generator is running too. Salt level is 4000.
Filter is sand filter and sand hasn't changed for at least 8-9 years, just opened filter and cleaned.
Pool water is blue and cloudy, can see the shallow end, not deep end.

Great.
Follow the SLAM Process. Your SLAM level FC is 24 ppm. Raise the FC to 24 ppm with liquid chlorine. Test and add LC back to 24 ppm at least 3-4 times per day. Let your filter pressure rise by 25% over clean pressure prior to back washing.

I would run the SLAM for a day or two and see how things go. You have to be ready to babysit the filter if you use DE as it can plug quickly.

@weitang99
for the duration of the SLAM Processyou will just use the chlorine test with the powder- the oto test only goes to 5 as you probably already noticed.
You won’t need to test anything but FC & CC while @ slam levels so save your other reagents.

also only use liquid chlorine to raise FC &PoolMath will help u calculate it. The app is wonderful

Some people find it helpful to Take pics daily so they can see their progress.
Stay on it & you’ll be clear in no time ?

I am following SLAM process and today is 4th days. Pool is improving slowly and water is still not totally clear. Almost can see the bottom for deep end. FC drop is not that dramatic.
Should I just keep SLAM and wait until water clear? Should I do anything else to make it clear quicker?
Also, wether is getting better, can I use the pool in next one or two days?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You can safely swim in a pool as long as the FC is above the minimum and at or below SLAM level based on your CYA. You must also be able to see the bottom of the pool in the deep end of the pool.

Yesterday, my pool is clear and I can see the deep end. Also, overnight measurement of FC loss is 0. So I can stop SLAM today and let FC go back to normal level. What else should I do after SLAM? Balance water chemistry?
Thanks all for your help.

Be sure your water is crystal clear before ending the SLAM.

Once your FC gets to 10 ppm run a full set of test results and add them to your Poolmath logs. Be sure to save the data in Poolmath as yoru current logs show no test data in them.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.