Help with algea

Also do I need to continue to run pump at night or back to the eight hours a day?
What type of pump do you have? If it's a variable speed pump, you might want to consider running it 24 hours a day but at a slow speed. The slower the speed, the less energy it uses and therefore, the less $$ is costs you. Running 24 hours a day allows you to always ensure you are adding chlorine to the pool. You could run your SWCG at a reduced output to match the pump. You need to ensue that you are running the pump fast enough though for your SWG as they need a certain amount of flow to run. As well, the other use for your pump is to skim the water surface of your pool. Needs to run fast enough to do that at least for a period of time...

What type of pump do you have? If it's a variable speed pump, you might want to consider running it 24 hours a day but at a slow speed. The slower the speed, the less energy it uses and therefore, the less $$ is costs you. Running 24 hours a day allows you to always ensure you are adding chlorine to the pool. You could run your SWCG at a reduced output to match the pump. You need to ensue that you are running the pump fast enough though for your SWG as they need a certain amount of flow to run. As well, the other use for your pump is to skim the water surface of your pool. Needs to run fast enough to do that at least for a period of time...
Do not have a variable speed.

Ok, as @jeffchap said, return to normal schedule that works for your pool. Remember, pumps are run for a reason, typically that's to chlorinate, to move water while heating/cooling or to skim. If you are chlorinating by dumping LC into pool, you definitely don't need it running 24 hours a day. You will figure out a schedule that works well for your pool.

Reactions: Kivare
You all were very helpful so I was hoping you could help with my balancing now. My levels are all crazy now and stabilizer is gone. Fc 2, ch 425, ta 200, cya 0. Took water to pool store just to see what they say and it calls for stanilizer, shock and 8 gallons of muriatic acid 😞. HELP

You all were very helpful so I was hoping you could help with my balancing now. My levels are all crazy now and stabilizer is gone. Fc 2, ch 425, ta 200, cya 0. Took water to pool store just to see what they say and it calls for stanilizer, shock and 8 gallons of muriatic acid 😞. HELP
Do yourself a favor and don’t bother going to the pool store anymore. I see only three problems if those numbers are from your Taylor test kit:
1. There’s no pH reading
2. The CYA is zero.
3. Your TA is too high, but this is not a big deal.

Do the CYA test again and take a picture of the result. The test kit can’t measure below 20ppm so it’s not possible for it to be zero, it would just be below 20.

Don’t add 8 gallons of acid.

Reactions: DanF
8 gallons of muriatic acid
Just a heads up: adding that much acid all at once would probably ruin your liner, causing permanent wrinkles and drastically shortening its life span.

I don't know what it will take to convince any individual person to kick the pool store habit, but knowing their advice will ruin your pool should be very persuasive...

Do yourself a favor and don’t bother going to the pool store anymore. I see only three problems if those numbers are from your Taylor test kit:
1. There’s no pH reading
2. The CYA is zero.
3. Your TA is too high, but this is not a big deal.

Do the CYA test again and take a picture of the result. The test kit can’t measure below 20ppm so it’s not possible for it to be zero, it would just be below 20.

Don’t add 8 gallons of acid.
The ph is at 8.2. I will redo cya test and take a picture. All the water fills the tube and it’s still clear. The cya result at store was 2 ppm

How frequently have you been backwashing? That's the only thing that could result in your CYA dropping so much. You only need to backwash once your pressure rises 25% over what it measures when clean. When I had a sand filter, that was usually every 2 or 3 weeks.

If the water is still clear, go ahead and dose CYA back to 40. The little bit extra will help protect your chlorine during this hot summer in TX. Test again 24 hours after it has all dissolved.

Do NOT add 8 gallons of MA -- that is insane. One gallon will lower your pH to 7.2, so add a gallon now.

Give the acid 30 minutes to mix in, then add liquid chlorine to get your FC back up to 5. This is a little higher than our normal target, but during the height of summer I don't like to flirt with the low side. Don't let it drop below 4. Anytime it tests below 4, add more to get back to 5. You need to dose daily.

Avoid that pool store like the plague. Trust your own testing.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
How frequently have you been backwashing? That's the only thing that could result in your CYA dropping so much. You only need to backwash once your pressure rises 25% over what it measures when clean. When I had a sand filter, that was usually every 2 or 3 weeks.

If the water is still clear, go ahead and dose CYA back to 40. The little bit extra will help protect your chlorine during this hot summer in TX. Test again 24 hours after it has all dissolved.

Do NOT add 8 gallons of MA -- that is insane. One gallon will lower your pH to 7.2, so add a gallon now.

Give the acid 30 minutes to mix in, then add liquid chlorine to get your FC back up to 5. This is a little higher than our normal target, but during the height of summer I don't like to flirt with the low side. Don't let it drop below 4. Anytime it tests below 4, add more to get back to 5. You need to dose daily.

Avoid that pool store like the plague. Trust your own testing.
Ok will do, gallon, stabilizer and then chlorine. Yeah it’s been a couple weeks since we backwashed but we are having to add water quite often. I will try and trust my own testing it’s just hard. Thank you

Reactions: IceShadow
I will try and trust my own testing it’s just hard. Thank you
Good plan, and we get that trusting yourself is difficult to do when your brain tells you one thing and your test kit another. I've been on the TFP regimen about 3 years now, yet every so often I want to bring a sample to a pool store but I quickly stop myself.

Ok will do, gallon, stabilizer and then chlorine.
I would do chlorine, MA, then stabilizer. Keeping FC up is Job 1 in the summer. But don't wait too long on the other two.

I looked back through this thread and your CYA was 40 on June 10. With lots of backwashing due to algae, and evaporation, and splash-out, perhaps the 0 reading is correct. However once you have your chemistry under control you may want to check for leaks.

Good plan, and we get that trusting yourself is difficult to do when your brain tells you one thing and your test kit another. I've been on the TFP regimen about 3 years now, yet every so often I want to bring a sample to a pool store but I quickly stop myself.

I would do chlorine, MA, then stabilizer. Keeping FC up is Job 1 in the summer. But don't wait too long on the other two.

I looked back through this thread and your CYA was 40 on June 10. With lots of backwashing due to algae, and evaporation, and splash-out, perhaps the 0 reading is correct. However once you have your chemistry under control you may want to check for leaks.
Yes sure we have a leak have water behind liner and that’s our first thing to check for. We bought dye to check too.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.