HELP with algae/zero chlorine in saltwater pool despite multiple shocks

Koko

Jun 11, 2019
West Sacramento, CA
First time poster here, I'll try not to write a novel.

I've essentially ignored our pool for 12 years but we are having a really hard time getting it open this year. 20,000 gallon, inground, saltwater pool with pebble tec finish and cartridge filters.

We let it get really bad over the winter. 2nd year we've done this. It was a swamp. Got it cleaned out and had a pool service company come do an "opening" about a month ago. I wasn't super impressed as they left some algae in the corners and provided no instructions at all. But it did get the pool 90% there, at least visually.

A week or so later we came out to cloudy water after heavy rain and have not been able to recover. We've tested the water 4 times at Leslie's and it seems to match the cheap (I need an upgrade) testing kit I bought. Basic problem from the first day of cloudiness has been persistent algae and no chlorine. We have shocked the pool at least 4 times. We realized after the 2nd shock that the Intellichlor IC40 was dead and have since installed a new one. The pool currently seems to be largely free of algae, but we have persistent low (close to zero). That's both free chlorine and available chlorine according to my test kit and Leslie's.

PH consistently reads right in the middle at 7.4. CYA is at 40. Leslie's told my husband to use Phos-Free and said we couldn't add too much (wrong apparently) as phosphates were at 500. We cleaned the filter Saturday and will be cleaning again as I suspect the Phos-free may have gummed it up again. I think we have an air issue, but have ordered a new 0-ring for the filter cartridge/housing and will be buying a new vacuum hose (side suction Hayward Navigator). Pressure problems aside, I cannot figure out why we cannot get ANY chlorine in the pool when the other readings all seem decent. I thought we might have a "lock" but free and available are both at close to 0.

Sorry for the super long post. Are we just not adding enough chlorine? We added 6 bags for the first shock but that was before we realized we needed a new SWG. Since then each shock has only been the recommended amount (1 bag per 10,000 gallons). Would throwing in another 6 bags finally let the SWG catch up? I should add that salt levels are about 3500.

TIA for any responses. We also can't get a pool service out to save our lives since it's a million degrees out and probably their busiest time of year. I have learned far more than I ever wanted to know on this topic in the last 3-4 weeks!

Ok, so welcome!

The advice you will get here is going to require you to do your own testing with a test kit that uses powder and liquid reagents. (Mine just came today. :) ) TFTestkits.net is a good resource for a kit.

We will need to have tests run via one of these kits and get info from it in order to give advice. Pool store tests are notoriously inaccurate.

Meanwhile you should probably get some liquid chlorine, basically bleach without additives (no Clorox, no scents, etc.). If it’s normal 6% you could add a gallon and a half a night until the test kit arrives to dose what would be 5ppm. (10-12% would be 3/4 - 1 gallon a night.) Once you get your kit and post results more tailored advice can be offered. :)

Reactions: jblizzle
welcome to tfp
stop using powder shock you are probably causing more harm than good
what product have you been using
chlorine lock is a bogus pool store comment after they have stuffed up
you need a quality test kit as mentioned. it seems expensive but saves you a fortune on all the Crud the poolstore sells you
add liquid chlorine asap to get fc up to 6ppm

Is the recommended test kit available on Amazon?
Well, sort of.
IMO, the best value for your situation is the TF-100 with the XL option from tftestkits.net as it has more of what you need ... like electrolytes which plants crave :mrgreen: (sorry LOL)
The alternative is the Taylor K-2006C which can be found on Amazon (problem is no way to know how old those kits are and how they have been stored).
Note the C is needed otherwise you will run out of some of the reagents too fast.

Reactions: Donldson
Last edited:
Ok, I ordered the K-2006C off Amazon. Hopefully their volume is sufficient that everything is "fresh." I wanted fast shipping. We are kind of desperate at this point. The power went out for over 4 hours yesterday (Thanks PG&E) when it was 103 out and we couldn't use the pool :) My husband will be heading to Lowe's tomorrow for liquid chlorine. And we'll be cleaning the filter again in case the Phos-Free clogged it. The brand new chlorinator is periodically giving us a red flow light. We are still working on finding a pool service/repair to come out. Thanks again! I will post results on the chemistry as soon as the kit arrives.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I assume by chlorinator you mean SWCG? The low flow light is because your filter is dirty --------

Yes, VS pump, Sta-Rite System 3 S7M130 (with new cord ring on the way). I'll work on a signature. In the meantime the cartridge filters are pretty new (last fall) and the SWCG is less than a week old. All seemed fine after the filter cleaning until we added the Phos-Free. I'm certain we need an o-ring/cord ring, and I think the vacuum hose has issues as well (our dog likes to dive in, grab the hose with his mouth, and swim around :) ), but I've shut off the valve to the vacuum to see what happens and we still get the periodic red flow light. We'll be cleaning the filters again tomorrow.

Add 5 ppm FC worth of liquid chlorine to the pool each evening with the pump running until you get your test kit.
Once you get the kit, run a full set of test results and post them here.

CYA is 40. According to repeated Leslie's tests anyways. Thanks!

oh, well, that could mean its really anywhere from 20 to 140 as pool stores are renowned for getting that test wrong.

The classic web version of PoolMath (found at bottom of this page) says that to take your 20000 gallon pool up from zero ppm to 1ppm takes 42 ounces of 6% plain household bleach. SO do the math if you want to go to 5ppm. And check out PoolMath.

Maddie :flower:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.