Help - What is this stuff floating in my pool

danrock

Oct 3, 2018
severna park, md
I have these small clear/white things floating on the surface of the pool. Does anyone know what they are or how to get rid of them? The filter has been running but it's not sucking them into the skimmer basket. I tried using the net to scoop them all out, but I think they are too small for the net. I attached a picture (they are very hard to see in the picture, but I added some arrows, they are much easier to see when the sun is shining on them).
I have a 27k gallon salt water pool and tested the water yesterday:
FCL: 2
TCL: 3
ALK: 120
PH: 7.8
TH: 400
CYA: 40

Attachments

jblizzle

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
May 19, 2010
Tucson, AZ
:wave: Welcome to TFP!

Probably pollen. Does your skimmer have a weir? If it does, then it should be pulling in stuff on the surface.

Oly

Gold Supporter
Jun 28, 2017
Fresno, CA
Impossible to know from your pics but I'm guessing organic plant material. In the west we have Cotton Wood trees that produce debris like this for a few weeks then its over. Keep your FC in the zone.

danrock

Oct 3, 2018
severna park, md
Thanks - I thought it might be some sort of pollen. Just wanted to make sure that it wasn't mold or algae.
I do have a weir, but sometimes the thermometer jams it. I'll take the thermometer out today and see if I can get this cleared up.

linuxninja00

Silver Supporter
Jul 8, 2013
Virginia Beach, VA
Danrock, being not too far from you and given the time of year, I believe it's pollen as well. It's been pretty bad pollen-wise down here in VA or at least my allergies tell me so. I have similar looking floaties this time of year. As mentioned, keep the FC in range here: FC/CYA Chart. Those test results look eerily similar to a pool store test (i.e. TCL). Do you have a test kit? Test Kits Compared

Razorhog

Bronze Supporter
Jun 20, 2013
Northeast Arkansas
Where did you get those test results? If they are accurate, your CYA is low and you may have something growing in the water with a 1 CC result.

jblizzle

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
May 19, 2010
Tucson, AZ
We have found pool store testing to be unreliable and test strips to be worthless. Suggest you invest in one of the recommended test kits to ensure a trouble free pool. Test Kits Compared

Other Threads of Interest