HELP, was our skimmer set too low.

In my opinion, the skimmer should be raised.

Sorry, but it is what it is.

If it was done correctly in the first place, it would not have to be redone.

Do it right the first time.

Don't let them ignore the problem.

Just my opinion.

It's your decision to live with it being wrong forever or getting what you are paying for.

Just want to echo this. It should have been fixed when they realized it was wrong.

It's classic good cop, bad cop technique.

The first guy is mean, grumpy and unreasonable.

If that doesn't work, his partner is the nice guy, he's your pal, your buddy.

Don't worry, everything is going to be fine, trust me. Don't worry about my partner, he's just having a bad day. Any problems will be minor and easy to solve.

Now, you just relax and stop checking up on things.

The only problem is that the water level needs to be run lower than a properly built pool (how much - need to use a level across from the tile to skimmer to see your range). And your operational water height range is more narrow than it would normally be. You will have to pump out water quicker than most and again, won't have the same water fluctuation range. There is no rule that water must be run at the middle of the waterline tile. That is said because that should be where the middle of the skimmer is. Though the waterline should always be on the waterline tile. Can this level of skimmer work? Yes. Is it ideal? No. Would I have them excavate the skimmer to fix it the right way? I don't know. I will say I didn't and 8 years on my pool functions "fine", with this being part of it's personality. Is it better to get it fixed properly now from a functional perspective. Yes. Will the rework cause the deck to not match 100% - not sure what the deck surface/status is (or I missed that pic). Was it mentioned if you have another skimmer? I'm presuming not.

Exhibit A - my pool:

My differences, besides mine being maybe 1/4" higher than yours, is I have an autocover so my water overflows out of the pool about 1/2" above when this skimmer stops skimming the surface. I also have another skimmer that is about 1/2" higher than this one. So I only have to drain a little water to get skimming action working again. And my draining means I jump in the pool a few times and water pours out if its "full".

Bottom line, it will be an operating constraint for the life of the pool. Understand his easy fix may not be the right fix. The right fix isn't easy as mentioned many times above.

So I measured with a level and halfway down the tile would bring water level about .75” of open space into skimmer. If we keep our water level 4” down from top of tile we have almost 2” open at top of skimmer. It’s not terrible but he’s a straight shooter so far so I’m going to trust him.

Attachments

• E3FC426E-8848-4CA2-8530-076D2700291E.jpeg
    E3FC426E-8848-4CA2-8530-076D2700291E.jpeg
    481.4 KB · Views: 89
  • BDB5AA84-476E-4175-9DAC-88E7763FD36B.jpeg
    BDB5AA84-476E-4175-9DAC-88E7763FD36B.jpeg
    376.4 KB · Views: 85
  • 4E411E1B-9891-49F1-A930-FD29475E5927.jpeg
    4E411E1B-9891-49F1-A930-FD29475E5927.jpeg
    503.7 KB · Views: 84
  • F5436B0F-98C1-48EE-86EE-7BCB72031DE5.jpeg
    F5436B0F-98C1-48EE-86EE-7BCB72031DE5.jpeg
    541 KB · Views: 83
  • 34FD7280-114E-47A7-8B93-2D6C1D811FD9.jpeg
    34FD7280-114E-47A7-8B93-2D6C1D811FD9.jpeg
    420.1 KB · Views: 83
  • 2DC5C0FD-F700-4E4E-86D7-8B970B7CFA67.jpeg
    2DC5C0FD-F700-4E4E-86D7-8B970B7CFA67.jpeg
    521.6 KB · Views: 86
It’s raised on the side of the skimmer so the grass will go up to the raised wall of the pool so there is no concern with the lid of the skimmer being level with any decking.

Could have a concrete matching issue. In my house, the concrete matching would be my wife’s concern, while mine would be the operation of the skimmer.

You have correctly identified the highest proper water operating level. 3 1/2” down on the tile. And you can go down the tile to about 1/2 to 1 inch above the skimmer opening or waves will cause the skimmer to pull in air. So you have a 1 1/2 - 2” operating range. That’s not good in my book.

Just measured. My skimmer is 1/2” higher than yours, not 1/4”. So I have a 1/2” more operating range than you from that skimmer. But I have two (the other is higher) so it’s a big functional difference.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Is it poured around the skimmer?

The tile is 6".

4" down means that the water will only be 2" up on the tile.
4” down does still have 3/4”’clearance but neither is very good.

Her deck is not around the skimmer. The skimmer is easy to access on the side of the pool with dirt, not deck around it.

2DA2EC90-CC9B-4B9A-8463-9B1ABCBB6DB9.jpeg

So I measured with a level and halfway down the tile would bring water level about .75” of open space into skimmer. If we keep our water level 4” down from top of tile we have almost 2” open at top of skimmer. It’s not terrible but he’s a straight shooter so far so I’m going to trust him.
Liz, I know you are getting a lot of opinions here. I just want you to stop for a bit and not let them proceed until you’ve had a chance to really think it through. Do any of your neighbors have pools that you could go look at so you can have some in-person perspective?

All companies make mistakes.

Good companies make mistakes and bad companies make mistakes.

The difference is that the good companies acknowledge the problem and they fix it. Done.

Bad companies whine, cry and moan.

They deny responsibility or they deny that it's a problem.

They try to make you live with someone that's just not right.

They're the ones making it into way more of a big deal than it needs to be.

They're just being bullies.

When a customer calls a business owner with a serious concern, a good business owner gets to the jobsite and checks it out in person instead of just blowing you off and telling you not to worry about it.

When did it become unreasonable for a customer to ask for something to be done correctly?

Is it poured around the skimmer?

The tile is 6".

4" down means that the water will only be 2" up on the tile.
There will be no concrete around the skimmer. The pool is raised on that side so we will do a plant bed there.

It looks like they left the skimmer low on purpose to hide it so only the coping would be visible and give you a clean straight line. Just wondering if that is correct and if it was built as discussed? Was there a reason why they put the skimmer in that location? Prevailing winds? At this point it is done, just thinking the why of it all. I see the deck height was probably set to an existing patio in the back ground. Will it work? Probably? I personally would ask it to be raised and if you are after a straight line, pour a straight 2.5 - 3 foot skirt on that end of the pool. Just my 2 cents. Take it for what it's worth.

The problem is the bond beam was out of level and/or they used heavy mud to correct amd make level. This raised the coping too high for skimmer amd raised the tile too high. The pool will always look low with normal water fill. The bottom of skimmer is intended to have a slight downward pitch to help hold debris in. This is a pain to fix and PB wants to avoid doing it. Sure with proper water height it will skim fine. But 1" plus minus is not what you wanna worry about when it comes to water level, especially with a single skimmer. This needs to be fixed for function amd aesthetics. I hate to throw a PB under the bus but I hate BS-ing people more

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.