Help transitioning to SW

I was under the impression that all new builds post 2021 required a variable speed pump?
The regulation does not require variable speed, however, variable speed is the only current technology that meets the DOE requirement (as of the law). Manufacturers had to comply with the new DOE regulations beginning July 19, 2021.

Last edited:
The regulation does not require variable speed, however, variable speed is the only current technology that meets the DOE requirement. Manufacturers had to comply with the new DOE regulations beginning July 19, 2021.

Thank you, so based on that, a pool built in 2022 should have a vsp correct?

Reactions: PoolStored
All noncompliant pump held in inventory can be sold.

No new pumps can be manufactured or imported if they are not compliant.

So, there might be noncompliant inventory for another year or two depending on what companies have in stock.

Local codes dictate which pumps can be installed for a pool filter pump.

If the AHJ has adopted the ANSI/APSP/ICC-15 2011 American National Standard for Residential Swimming Pool and Spa Energy Efficiency or similar codes, then those apply.

Federal regulation states that all dedicated-purpose pool pumps (DPPP) (domestic and imported) manufactured on or after July 19, 2021, must meet the efficiency requirements adopted by the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE).

ANSI/APSP/ICC-15 2011 American National Standard for Residential Swimming Pool and Spa Energy Efficiency.

Published on Jan 15, 2020

This standard covers energy efficiency requirements for permanently installed residential aboveground/onground and inground swimming pools and inground spas operated by the property owner and used for bathing.

This standard is intended to cover certain aspects of the swimming pool filtration system design; equipment, including pool and spa heaters; installation; and operational capabilities, for the purpose of minimizing energy consumption while maintaining water quality and temperature.

Full Title: ANSI/APSP/ICC-15 2011 American National Standard for Residential Swimming Pool and Spa Energy Efficiency. Includes Addenda A.

Is the SWG working correctly?

What is the current salinity reading?

Is the water too cold?
Soooooooo. Someone wasn’t thinking about generating chlorine, and ran the pool for the past 3 days straight 🥴. My Chlorine is now at 13.5. So I put the SWG on standby till it gcones down some.

Salinity is 3200 (tested again today).

• Wow
Reactions: JamesW
Someone wasn’t thinking about generating chlorine, and ran the pool for the past 3 days straight 🥴. My Chlorine is now at 13.5. So I put the SWG on standby till it gcones down some.
Don't fret it, it happens. You did no harm. You can even safely swim up to SLAM level for your CYA! And you took the correct action!

Mr Bean Thumbs Up GIF

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Did you forget until I asked about it?

Maybe a slight panic when you remembered that it was on?
I had actual tested a couple hours before and realized it 😏 I’m struggling with the change 😂 so many years of doing it the same, my old brain is struggling

Reactions: Newdude and JamesW
I had actual tested a couple hours before and realized it 😏 I’m struggling with the change 😂 so many years of doing it the same, my old brain is struggling
Find a routine. I test my FC right before I change my clothes to night time attire. Full test Saturday mornings with coffee. Just find a daily/weekly task/routine and associate testing.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.