Centerville, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Truclear / Ei
Hey guys! I’m not a new pool owner, I’ve been a TFPer for years. HOWEVER, we’ve always been chlorine & this pool build we decided we wanted to try SW. They finally are able to get and install the salt water generator and I have questions!!
1. I have the app, do I create a new pool or change my current pool to SW? I don’t want to lose any of my data since I’m over an hour away from a pool store I need all of my testing for possible warranty issues.
2. I use TF 100 what should I order to add to my testing? I’m running pretty low on all of my testing chemicals, so if there is a set that you suggest, please let me know.
3. My pool builder said that he will come and add a bunch of salt tomorrow… That’s really freaking me out. I did my own start up by choice this build but I have zero experience with salt water 😳 should I let him add all the salt I’m scared. He made it sound like they just dump it all in at once.
4. My pool builder said that once it is set up, I only check the chlorine level once a week and then adjust the salt water generator according to my results. I’m and every day kinda tester so this seems so wrong lol What do y’all do?
5. Any suggestions before I start day drinking?

Thanks in advance for your guidance, I trust you guys above all else

42C77DEC-F708-4FEA-86A1-709BB51B2127.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: elleb
Hey guys! I’m not a new pool owner, I’ve been a TFPer for years. HOWEVER, we’ve always been chlorine & this pool build we decided we wanted to try SW. They finally are able to get and install the salt water generator and I have questions!!
1. I have the app, do I create a new pool or change my current pool to SW? I don’t want to lose any of my data since I’m over an hour away from a pool store I need all of my testing for possible warranty issues.
2. I use TF 100 what should I order to add to my testing? I’m running pretty low on all of my testing chemicals, so if there is a set that you suggest, please let me know.
3. My pool builder said that he will come and add a bunch of salt tomorrow… That’s really freaking me out. I did my own start up by choice this build but I have zero experience with salt water 😳 should I let him add all the salt I’m scared. He made it sound like they just dump it all in at once.
4. My pool builder said that once it is set up, I only check the chlorine level once a week and then adjust the salt water generator according to my results. I’m and every day kinda tester so this seems so wrong lol What do y’all do?
5. Any suggestions before I start day drinking?

Thanks in advance for your guidance, I trust you guys above all else

View attachment 468790
1. Use the same pool in the app. You can simply update your chlorination method to SWG.
2. You'll want this to test for salt. If you're due for refills anyway, you could take the opportunity to upgrade to the TF-PRO Salt kit. :) Otherwise, you can separately order the salt kit and your TF-100 refill.
3. Adding the salt all at once is pretty normal. It will dissolve fast. For me, I just buy bags of water softener "solar salt", dump into the pool, and brush it around to help it dissolve faster.
4. I would test daily at first to ensure proper FC level is maintained. Once you get a feel for it, you can possibly reduce that frequency. Once my SWG is dialed in for the year I usually test every few days.

Day drinking can be fun, but here's some light reading while you're still sober. ;-)

Fire away with any questions!

• Love
Reactions: Sunbaby and Newdude
+1. For pool #2 my old kit was long expired so I took the opportunity to upgrade to the pro-salt to get the fancy case with it. It's REALLY nice.

Then I sent my old TF100 speed stir to a friend who was swirling by hand like a Neanderthal. :ROFLMAO:

Make sure you get a base reading on the current salt. Everything added so far has raised the salinity and you won't need the full amount. Tell PB to deliver the bags and you'll add them yourself after testing. Also make sure the SWG is off while it mixes for at least a full day. Dump in 80% of your target into the shallow end and return every half hour to mix up the residuals. They'll be gone by the 2nd or 3rd mix. Then test a full day later and creep up to the target if needed.

Your pool will already have a lot of salt, so you need to test the water to know where to start.

Only add maybe 75% on the first day and then retest and add more.

You don't want to overshoot the level.

For example, if the starting salinity is 1,800 ppm, then you only need about 176 lbs, which is 4.4 bags at 40 lbs each.

Some people find that their salinity is already high enough and they do not need to add more salt.

Using liquid chlorine for years can easily increase the salinity to the 3,000 ppm range.

Add maybe 3 bags and then retest after brushing the pool 4 X and allowing the pump to run for 24 hours.

1673551919874.png

1. Use the same pool in the app. You can simply update your chlorination method to SWG.
2. You'll want this to test for salt. If you're due for refills anyway, you could take the opportunity to upgrade to the TF-PRO Salt kit. :) Otherwise, you can separately order the salt kit and your TF-100 refill.
3. Adding the salt all at once is pretty normal. It will dissolve fast. For me, I just buy bags of water softener "solar salt", dump into the pool, and brush it around to help it dissolve faster.
4. I would test daily at first to ensure proper FC level is maintained. Once you get a feel for it, you can possibly reduce that frequency. Once my SWG is dialed in for the year I usually test every few days.

Day drinking can be fun, but here's some light reading while you're still sober. ;-)

Fire away with any questions!
Thank you so much for the thoughtful response!! I’m going to go ahead and order the pro kit!

+1. For pool #2 my old kit was long expired so I took the opportunity to upgrade to the pro-salt to get the fancy case with it. It's REALLY nice.

Then I sent my old TF100 speed stir to a friend who was swirling by hand like a Neanderthal. :ROFLMAO:

Make sure you get a base reading on the current salt. Everything added so far has raised the salinity and you won't need the full amount. Tell PB to deliver the bags and you'll add them yourself after testing. Also make sure the SWG is off while it mixes for at least a full day. Dump in 80% of your target into the shallow end and return every half hour to mix up the residuals. They'll be gone by the 2nd or 3rd mix. Then test a full day later and creep up to the target if needed.
😂 I think I have a few Neanderthal friends that would appreciate my old auto stir!!

Your pool will already have a lot of salt, so you need to test the water to know where to start.

Only add maybe 75% on the first day and then retest and add more.

You don't want to overshoot the level.

For example, if the starting salinity is 1,800 ppm, then you only need about 176 lbs, which is 4.4 bags at 40 lbs each.

Some people find that their salinity is already high enough and they do not need to add more salt.

Using liquid chlorine for years can easily increase the salinity to the 3,000 ppm range.

Add maybe 3 bags and then retest after brushing the pool 4 X and allowing the pump to run for 24 hours.

View attachment 468798

They are coming tomorrow with the salt, since I don’t have any salt testing yet, I’ll see if they will just leave it so I can test first. Thanks!!!

They should test the level first before doing anything.

Maybe run a sample down to the pool store to get a quick read to know what to expect.

Do not allow them to add the full amount of 400 lbs (10 bags) which assumes a 0 starting salinity and a target of 3,200 ppm for a 15,000 gallon pool.

Your salinity is already probably above 2,000 ppm, so test to avoid oversalting, which will require a partial drain and refill.

They should test the level first before doing anything.

Maybe run a sample down to the pool store to get a quick read to know what to expect.

Do not allow them to add the full amount of 400 lbs (10 bags) which assumes a 0 starting salinity and a target of 3,200 ppm for a 15,000 gallon pool.

Your salinity is already probably above 2,000 ppm, so test to avoid oversalting, which will require a partial drain and refill.
I would be shocked if they tested prior to adding 😏. I’m over an hour away from any pool store, but I just ordered my new testing kit - hopefully it arrives soon!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
My pool builder said that once it is set up, I only check the chlorine level once a week and then adjust the salt water generator according to my results. I’m and every day kinda tester so this seems so wrong
Just WAIT. SWGs make pool care utterly BORING. There's a learning curve and none of us like change, but once you get a grip on the basics, it's heavenly.

I am the treasurer of the running 24/7 club and it removes one of the two variables from the equation. Others have to adjust pump run time and SWG % (also runtime). Since my pump is already running (efficiently at low RPMs) I only have to adjust the SWG %. I usually get 4 to 6 weeks each adjustment. This summer was particularly hot and sunny and it stayed at 60% from the end of June until October. An added bonus is always producing FC, and also always filtering and skimming. If a big storm hits overnight, my system had me covered and most of any debris finds its way to the skimmer. When you're not running for 12-18 hours a day, that's a long time for things to happen.

The key is to not micromanage. You want to produce enough chlorine on the high loss days. Accept that it will over produce some days and enjoy the buffer when the next event happens.

Adding the salt all at once is pretty normal. It will dissolve fast. For me, I just buy bags of water softener "solar salt", dump into the pool, and brush it around to help it dissolve faster.
In addition to checking salt levels first, TURN YOUR SALT CELL OFF for 24 hours after adding salt. Leave your pump on. Having a large concentration of salted water through the cell while it is running can damage the cell. Best to let the salt circulate for 24 hours and mix first.

In addition to checking salt levels first, TURN YOUR SALT CELL OFF for 24 hours after adding salt. Leave your pump on. Having a large concentration of salted water through the cell while it is running can damage the cell. Best to let the salt circulate for 24 hours and mix first.
Great info, TY!!

Reactions: PoolStored
So salt was added and pump ran for 24 hours without the salt cell on. I’ve got it up and running now. My new TFP salt kit should be here this week, but the builder left me these little strip tests in the meantime. I think it’s reading 6.5?

Where do I find, or how do I figure my Minimum, Target, and Max salt levels? (I use the TFP app) and it normally fills in everything for me 😬

Anything else that I should track now that I’m running salt?
D6DF3E92-2365-44FF-A69F-9D94AB24F0B8.jpeg
96A5FFE6-82B0-4B3D-A539-DBF202276A57.png

The bottle should have instructions on how to read the test strip.

What was the salt reading before adding salt?

How much salt was added?

Did the pool get brushed at least 4 times really well?

• Wow
Reactions: Sunbaby
Where do I find, or how do I figure my Minimum, Target, and Max salt levels? (I use the TFP app) and it normally fills in everything for me 😬
Once you get the salt kit, be happy with 3k to 3600 for now unless it responds differently than most. If it drops low enough, the unit will shut off. You can't argue with the unit, even if you know better so pretty much, if it's happy you're happy.
I think it’s reading 6.5?
I've never used them so I got nothin. :(

• Love
It looks like Aquacheck (Quantab) and the 6.5 is about 3,445 ppm.

However, each bottle has it's own chart and you have to use the chart that is on the bottle to determine the salinity.

1674085577785.png

1674085798820.png

1674085965533.png

Last edited:
  • Love
Since this was my first time, I wanted to make sure that I’m understanding the white peak part. I think it’s about 6.5?
They tested it (I wasn’t outside) and said they needed 6 to 7 bags of salt, so they added six, and left the seventh in case I need it.
I only brushed once 😳
52B916C0-F61D-4281-AEBB-9D6E58618CE1.jpeg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.