Help to QUICKLY Kill Algae

jobondur

Dec 13, 2009
Virginia Beach, VA
Hey everybody. I went out and checked my pool for the first time in a couple days and I've got an algae bloom going on in several areas. I want to completely get rid of it but also want to use the pool this weekend and need the Cl levels to be swimmable for us and the kids by tomorrow. I'm off today so I can work on it as needed. If I SLAM it, the levels will likely be too high to swim tomorrow. What would you recommend doing?

FC - 6.5
CC - 0
pH - 7.5
TA - 70
CH - 80
CYA - 60
Salt - 3140

As you can see, my FC levels are reasonably high. That's because I noticed they were low about 3 days ago and cranked the SWG up to 100%. Looking back, I'm guessing I already had an established algae bloom at that point and all I did was slow it down.

ajw22

Gold Supporter
TFP Guide
Jul 21, 2013
Northern NJ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
Algea will die at its own pace. Pool is safe to swim in up to SLAM FC levels. Raise the FC with bleach and let the kids swim. It is as safe as any pond or public pool.

Or wait and let kids swim and raise FC to SLAM after the weekend. Some algea in the pool does not make it unsafe to swim.

jobondur

Dec 13, 2009
Virginia Beach, VA
Ok, I'm going to SLAM then. Part of it is I'm going away next weekend for 10 days and want the pool to be perfect and stable before I leave so I don't come home to a mess. This weekend is my true opportunity to get it perfect. Thanks.

jobondur

Dec 13, 2009
Virginia Beach, VA
SLAM started. At what point can I put my robot (Pentair Kreepy Krawler) back in the pool. I know it says not to do it when super-chlorinating but it doesn't give an actual FC level.

mknauss

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Bronze Supporter
May 3, 2014
Laughlin, NV
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Mixed responses on that. Some won't use a robot during SLAM. I would not suggest leaving them in the pool except for their cleaning cycle. Then clean the filters and spray it down with fresh water.

If SLAM level FC does not bother my skin, I do not see how it will bother hard plastic -----

timthek

May 27, 2013
Philadelphia Suburbs
I guess it depends on the robot. I only have a Polaris so I take that out. I don't want it stirring up the bottom after I brush but before I vacuum. If yours is a vacuum that is a different story.

Thread Status
Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.