Help pls pls: Zodiac LM2 Series switched off by itself

Oct 25, 2010
Hi all, i am a newbie here. I am just wondering whether anyone can help me out here. Our Zodiac LM2 series chlorinator recently decides to turn itself off after half an hour run and each time this happens, i can;t turn it on straight away. It has been happening like this for the past 2 days. Before this, it was working fine. We took it to the pool shop and was told that the circuit board might have been damaged and it would cost us $350 to replace it. Has anybody experience the same problem? Please helpp...thank you

Sorry maybe i did not make myself clearer.The machine is still on when the whole thing just suddenly stopped working. I suspect it is sth to do with the circuit board. Is it easy to change ? Has anybody done it before ?

So, the entire unit shuts off at once? Predictably after a half hour, or is that a rough estimate? Could it be overheating? Sorry I'm not too much help, but some of the other folks around may be able to help if you can provide enough information for them.

Yeah it just pretty much stops working after 30 mins each time. I tried to turn it on straight after but i couldn;t do. I then have to wait for at least another 20 mins b4 i can turn it on again. I dun thinks it us becoz overheating.

Define it 'turning off'. Do all the display lights go off? Does the output setting reduce to yellow?
If the system is shutting down output, it likely thinks the salt is low; get it checked, and carefully inspect your cell.
If the display is going off, you probably have circuit board problems of some kind.

From experience, if you have a circuit board problem, it is typically simpler and cheaper-in-the-long-run to replace your SWG. The Zodiac, like most SWGs, has two circuit boards, either one can cause your problem. You can spend $350 on one, only to discover it is the other, and the first is not refundable once installed. You could get it tested by a technician to be sure, but you're again into more money. Or, depending on the problem, wait and see if it still does the job. I had the control board on one die (we had four Zodiac LM2's in operation) - can't change output, no lights, etc - but it still worked just fine for two years, generating away at just the right level. :p And when another unit died (board AND cell), we replaced it with an Aqua-Rite and stole the circuit board to fix the first.

The reason the generator is turning off is because your pool water is too cold. Certain models of chlorine generators will shut off to protect the cell. Cold water chlorine production can be damaging to the metal located inside of the cell.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hi everyone!

I'm new here but have experience working for both a Hayward retailer and Zodiac.

From what it sounds like, the control board is shutting off while the cell stays on, but correct me if I'm wrong. If this is the case, it is most definitely due to water or age damage to one of the boards. Test the second board (one that controls the activity of the cell) by finding the hidden reset button in the middle of the 'Clearwater logo'. Hold this for at least 3 seconds, and if you hear a click, that board is most likely working fine. This button manually reverses the polarity of the cell.

If I was too hasty in my skimming of this thread and it's the cell that's shutting off and not the board, it may be the age of the cell itself or damage due to a build up of calcium. If you have not cleaned your cell within the past year, that should be the first step to diagnosis. When the water is too cold for salt production, you will notice that the output lights stay at the low end and will not go up from pressing the increase output buttons. If something different is happening, it is probably not the water temperature.

If the system is under warranty (1 year) and these suggestions don't help, contact Zodiac and they'll help you.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.