Help Please Algae filters came but no test kit/5 more days!

beachinmoney

Bronze Supporter
Jun 13, 2013
Buckeye, AZ
We just purchased this house three months ago and of course we hired pool people and 3 different ones ripped us off. The one thing I asked before agreeing to allow them each to come out was that they go over our equipment with us, explain the care and maintenance etc. Well, long story short. Everything was crystal clear and then suddenly cloudy water and algea. I got on here last week and started reading like crazy. Now to top it off we are on a very tight budget cause we both just lost our jobs! :grrrr: So, the problem was that the Filter Cartridges were so dirty & old, the different pool people that came out neglected to tell us anything about cleaning them or even checking them (we have learned that they want you to have problems so that you will pay them more money...) The people that owned the house were loosing it and did not take care of the pool. It was filled with algea and needed an Acid wash when we moved in. The filter cartridges looked like the original ones that came with the pool back in 2005. Everything about this home has been abused, it took over 6 hours to scrub the shower before we moved in. These people were something else. The house is only 11 years old, amazing what pigs some people are. That's another story all together though.

So, I ordered 8 new cartridges and they came today however the test kit which originally was suppose to show up today won't be here til the 23rd. The algea, in my opinion is bad. I had to brush the pool for over two hours. Course I'm 5ft 2 and it's 114 out... Sense we just spent almost $400 on filters, test kit etc, I am looking for the best possible advice on what to do to super shock it until my test kit comes. I have about 7 different shock it's left and I have pool Chlorine Tablets, probably about 10 3 inch... I have a gallon of Muric Acid.

I already without coming back and refreshing my reading, or I should say my husband who won't read anything already threw in two shock it's two chlorine tablets and 1/2 gallon Muric acid. Surely there is a way to get this to work without the test kit.... Our neighbors did it. But I know that you are all experts and wanted some guidance. My pool is a kidney shape and it's about 4.5 deep in shallow end and 8ft in deep end. It's 30 ft. long and widest not kidney is probably 13... I hope that helps. I am new at this and trying to learn but need to make due now until the 23rd when the test kit comes in
... :drown:

Re: Help Please Algae filters came but no test kit/5 more da

There really isn't anything we can do without test results. You need to know your pH and CYA before you can really do anything. If you don't know your pH why in the world would your husband dump acid in? Don't let him touch anything anymore :whip:

How do you know your pool is 20,000 gallons? The way you describe it, and that you have a multi-filter system makes me think you have a lot more water than that.

If you are completely overwhelmed, that's normal. Just stick with it, we got your back!

While I really appreciate your response you haven't given me anywhere to go. Basically saying do nothing. I based my water on what I think it is. That is not a very good example but it would take too long to explain right now... I can't just sit here for 5 days and let the algae grow more. For two reason, first that is like throwing away the chemicals that are already in it. Not to mention to time and sweat I spent brushing it. And 2nd because it will get much worse in 5 days. Remember. I don't have $100 more dollars to run out and buy the test kit. I also do not have the time or the money to drive all the way to the closest pool store, Leslie's, nor do I trust them to be honest on what the water says. I have bought things from them and lets just say that I'm not going there again. We have a huge gas guzzler and I also have a phone interview tomorrow to prepare for. That is also why I don't have the time to run around... So, please surely, someone can say something or else I will just wing it myself.... :hammer:

BTW, in AZ in this heat, we do need some muric acid...

The heat has nothing to do with needing acid to lower the pH.

What I would suggest you do is reading Pool School a few times so you understand the chemistry and what all the products are doing to your pool. You mentioned a bunch of "shock" products ... problem is if they are powders, they have side effects which you do not want. Dichlor and trichlor (tablets are made of this as well) add stabilizer ... too much is a bad thing and the CYA level directly determines how much FC you need to used. Cal-hypo adds calcium ... we have hard water and a lot of evaporation, so the last thing you want to do is add more calcium.

You are going to need liquid chlorine (bleach) and a LOT of it. You need to go through the SLAM process. [slam:1c7kxkv1][/slam:1c7kxkv1]

But, STEP 1 is determining what your CYA level is so you know how much chlorine you need to use. OR if the CYA is already too high, then you will need to drain and replace water.

There is nothing we can tell you to do chemically to the water that will not just be wasting more money than you already have.

It doesn't sound like the pool can get much worse, so nothing lost there. There's gonna be a bunch more sweat and brushing involved too--an ongoing process. You could waste more chemicals/money now by haphazardly throwing stuff in it. The chemicals already in it now aren't worth worrying about losing-----they're obviously all off anyway. You said you've already ordered the test kit and are waiting for it to come in. Where does the "don't have another $100 for a test kit" come in to play? Read pool school and play with the pool calculator to familiarize yourself with it. I'd get prepared to learn how to drain some of that pool in the meantime most likely. "Wing away at it" as you describe against our advice------just gonna cost you money for no result.

BTW, assuming you ordered the K-2006 (because if you ordered the TF-100 you would have had it by now), you are going to run out of CYA reagent and the FAS-DPD chlorine test regent very quickly. So, you may as well order the refills now.

I did read it, sorry, I had the wrong name it is, Using Muriatic Acid to Safely Lower Your Pool's pH ... I really don't think it's so bad that I am going to have to do any draining. Understand that I really like clear water so anything with a tint of green makes me unhappy. I do know this, the neighbors pool looked like heck and they brought it back by not doing any of the careful calculations that your pool school mentions and certainly not by being careful and adding everything on the timely basis that it says to in the pool school. Based on that I am going to add chlorine in it and try and get it looking better between now and when the kit comes in. I am going to purchase the liquid bleach I think. As far as getting the kit by now from the company that you recommend here it told me when I did all of this ordering on Saturday and Sunday that it would not be here until Friday at the earliest and it was $20 just for shipping that way... I ordered the other one from Amazon and they were suppose to ship it the 2 day prime and it got re-routed. That is what caused the hold up...

And, thanks for the tip on ordering the CYA reagent and the FAS-DPD chlorine test regent, I was, as we are speaking doing just that...

Exactly, that is why I am going to make like a blind hog and try and get some results prior to getting my test kit on the 23rd. I won't be able to do the full shock obviously but I can't sit idly by and do nothing....

As for learning how to drain. I have to do that each time my husband decides to turn the water on and then falls asleep. We have the water leveler, bought a new one and I installed it... BTW, I also fix the TV problems and issues... Paid for the house, and have been researching how to fix our washing machine... I think it's time to turn him in for a new model.. we aren't married, just been together for 18 years so it's easier to explain that way. Right now I am less then happy with him... :rant:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Yes, Dave, the neighbor is the one really good thing about moving in here. They have shared everything with me, including many beers until 2am! All she did was add a different type of Chlorine then the kind they were previously using. Their issues started from problems with the Sand Filter. Apparently she washed the sand filter over and over, I didn't get into that part as my filter isn't sand... then she said that is all she did was added a whole bunch and different brand then the one they had used before... I think the issue went on for about 3 weeks. Their pool is a play pool. Her husband said it is 25,000 gallons. It is a little longer then ours, maybe 4 ft. We were told by the guy that did our acid wash that ours is 13,000. He was an idiot though. So when the neighbors said theirs was 25k, I for lack of a better method just said mine is 20k. I'm sure it's more...

beachinmoney said:
While I really appreciate your response you haven't given me anywhere to go. Basically saying do nothing.
Yep, because you told us nothing. No test results, we can give no advice. You said it yourself that we do "careful calculations" and to do those we need, you know, numbers to calculate. This entire site is about doing things that way and not just throwing stuff at the wall and hoping it sticks. I test my pool, I understand my pool, and I NEVER just dump chemicals in hoping it works, and I would never suggest anybody else does either.

Jason, Thanks for your information and little break down of shock. I tend to read, cut paste into word, print and absorb it all later. When I am trying to do too much as once, as I am now I get kind of Schizoid sounding and miss-use words such as Muriatic acid. I actually do know some things, I just haven't perfected or known of them long enough to have all the right names memorized.... Hard to explain, my brain is a convoluted thing sometimes.... :lol:

Can you tell me how much of the other two chemicals you think I should get ordered?

Yep, because you told us nothing. No test results, we can give no advice. You said it yourself that we do "careful calculations" and to do those we need, you know, numbers to calculate. This entire site is about doing things that way and not just throwing stuff at the wall and hoping it sticks. I test my pool, I understand my pool, and I NEVER just dump chemicals in hoping it works, and I would never suggest anybody else does either.

Very very true Donaldson. I'm just not that good yet. I understand the logic and realize I can't do the shock yet. Instead I guess I'll just be stupid and try and do something by using what I have and some liquid bleach. I did get a little confused on the Muriatic Acid. I keep thinking that is used to help the chlorine not be broken down by the sun and or heat of the water... but that's not it. Basically that is used if you aerate a lot... A neighbor told us to use that and there was some here. I just love the way we have been told various things and for no rhyme or reason we just did them!!! Duhhh

Our methods ensure that no damage is done to the pool or the equipment ... The risk is yours to take.

I am very curious to see your CYA test result.

There is a west coast distributor for the TF100 that would have saved a good bit of shipping cost ... too late now I know.

Just saw this and had to repost it:
Richard320 said:
You're working blind. It would be like trying to get a head start on a painting while you wait for the light bulb so you can see.
Doing nothing can absolutely be the best thing to do in some circumstances and if you have no test results then this is one of those circumstances. Randomly throwing things in to the pool could quite literally destroy it. Muriatic acid goes by a more common name, hydrochloric acid. Put a drop on a piece of metal and it will burn a hole right through and it can do the same to a pool if used improperly. We aren't playing with Nerf here...

Are these the two I need,
Taylor R-0870-I High Free Chlorine Testing Reagent &
Taylor R-0871-C FAS-DPD Titrating Chlorine Reagent (2 oz.)
And is Poolsupplyworld.com the West Coast Company?

Okay, Donaldson, I get it I really do but I still can't do nothing. It's not in my make-up. I seriously don't think that by putting in the Shock and the chlorine it can hurt. I'm not planning on going crazy...

Doing nothing can absolutely be the best thing to do in some circumstances and if you have no test results then this is one of those circumstances. Randomly throwing things in to the pool could quite literally destroy it. Muriatic acid goes by a more common name, hydrochloric acid. Put a drop on a piece of metal and it will burn a hole right through and it can do the same to a pool if used improperly. We aren't playing with Nerf here...

yes, but, I don't think that the people across the street who btw are putting a gallon a week in have damaged their pool and I know that by putting in the amount we did it didn't hurt it either. We put in more then that the first month and it was okay. I don't plan to put more of it in.... I also followed all the handling instructions...

Also, what you are saying is that all of the people in the world, and there are a lot, that are and have been for a long time "Randomly throwing things in to the pool" are as we speak doing irreparable damage. Remember, I am not throwing tons of things into it. Back off just a little please.

At least the 871 and the CYA reagent.
Yes they are the distributor.

Putting in "shock" powder could certainly hurt.

Donldson said:
Just saw this and had to repost it:
Richard320 said:
You're working blind. It would be like trying to get a head start on a painting while you wait for the light bulb so you can see.

Also, be aware of the need to separate the muriatic acid and chlorine. That is, don't add them one after the other until the first is thoroughly mixed/diluted. Also, don't store them together.

jblizzle said:
At least the 871 and the CYA reagent.
Yes they are the distributor.

I purchased the kit and I need to add the above two or I will run out correct??? Not sure what you mean by "at least". I already have the Taylor Complete FAS-DPD Pool Water Test Kit K-2006 coming...
Also, be aware of the need to separate the muriatic acid and chlorine. That is, don't add them one after the other until the first is thoroughly mixed/diluted. Also, don't store them together.

The chlorine I added was in the form of tablets. They just got put into the basket.....

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.