Help Please Algae filters came but no test kit/5 more days!

Re: Help Please Algae filters came but no test kit/5 more da

Just for General Principle I brushed down again, added more Bleach and will turn off pump at 12. Before power kicks into high level. I have been having trouble brushing good and have to get in the pool to do the deep end because my new pole is a piece of junk. Got the old one out of the mud that the previous owners left, cleaned it really well and used it. It looks like the stuff I thought was Algae is really stains in the deep end... Any ideas to get that out? I am popping over to Amazon to leave negative feedback on the pole... :rant: .

No Slaming all day. Tested the chemicals and I have FC 8.5, CC .025, TA 400, PH 7.4 and TH 650... So, I need to get the Hardness and the TA down... Should I wait til the FC goes down a little, does that have any effect?

Where is that decimal place supposed to be for the CC? Are you sure about the TA? That is crazy high. Only way to lower the CH is by replacing water ... yours is workable.

Lowering the TA is a process described in Pool School. Can not really do it when the FC is high because the pH test is inaccurate with FC greater than 10ppm

My PH isn't greater then 10ppm, it's is at 8.5. The CC is half of .5. I don't think that replacing the water is very practical considering that the water is so hard here coming out of the tap. I put in 1 gallon of Muriatic Acid and am running the aerator. I will run the TA again... What could have made it that high?

Okay, not sure what went wrong on the first TA test but I just did it again and now it's at 60 so, I need to add some Baking Soda it looks like.. :hammer: ...Opps.

I saw that I can get some Soda Ash at Walmart for only $3.41. Will pick it up tomorrow.

I am confused...are you SLAMing the pool? All that other stuff doesn't matter now until you are done with the SLAM process.

beachinmoney said:
spent $400 on the stuff for the slam.
That seems like a lot of money attributed to the SLAM process? At $2 per bottle of bleach, that would be 200 bottles :shock:

I am no longer slamming, it is done. The $400 included the new filter cartridges. The test kits and the bleach....

I tested again and the TA is at 50 with the PH being at 7.0. What is the best thing to add, the Baking Soda or the Soda Ash or both and how much based on the Pool calculator should I add at a time if it says to add 5 lbs of Baking Soda??? In other words do I add half one day and half the next or half in one hour and the other in 3 etc... Thanks

That is fine. I would not raise the pH or TA up very much. Maybe 70-80 on the TA, the pH will likely rise by itself.

So to night my TA is at 60 and PH is at 80. I added Backing Soda and then I'm gonna test again in about 2 hours. Then add muriatic acid to get PH down and see what it does to the TA. It doesn't take it down too fast... I'm beginning to feel like A Chemist! :|

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.