Help picking out new hot tub

Mar 24, 2015
MO
Hello, I have owned a used hot tub for about a year now. The tub was in really good condition, and it was nice owning it to confirm that we a) want a hot tub, and b) know what features we like.

However, either due to it's age, or my poor water chemistry at times, it has two leaks. They are not major leaks, but I have to add water every 2-3 weeks. The tub is full foam insulation, so finding the leaks to repair is not something I want to take on.

So, I am moving on to considering a brand new hot tub. I found this thread: Hot Tubs, to be useful. Particularly the list of things holydoc names that are important, I agree 100%. My only other addition would be as low maintenance as possible. My current used tub was 15 years old, and required to check chems and adjust most every day. I got lazy in both testing and also adding, and I also learned that adding one ounce of Muriatic acid is a very small amount, and so there is not much tolerance for error.

At any rate, can anyone recommend the midrange models without all the bells and whistles (disco light, sound, water features) for a few quality brands of hot tub, which have low (very low) maintenance requirements). When I go to the Marquis website, there are many brands, same with Watkins.

Things I would like to have:

7-8 person minimum seating with good leg room, no lounge chairs, as we enjoy the social aspect of the hot tub.
Low maintenance, including self cleaning and low required time to maintain water chemistry (once per week or less, versus once per day or two)
Cover that is easy to get on and off
Foot jets required
Cool off seat or seats
Drink Holders

My current used hot tub has all of these features except easy on/off cover, and most importantly low maintenance.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated! We live in a Metro area, so we should have access to most brands.

I recently added a Saltron Salt Water Chlorine Generator to my hot tub and have been very pleased with it. It takes care of my chlorine needs entirely. I found it online for about $170.

As for covers, a cover lift bar is handy. Mine is entirely manual but still takes a lot of the effort off me to lift, but I know they also make some with hydraulic lift mechanisms.

Good luck in finding your dream spa!

Maddie :flower:

Watkins owns at least 3 or 4 brands of spas and all of them are good.

We bought one of their lower end (cheaper) brands because we weren't sure if we wanted one at all and definitely weren't interested in spending $10k or more. We bought the Freeflow Monterrey, https://freeflowspas.com/shop-spas/monterey/. It was around 5500 bucks around 4 years ago. It's been a great tub for us. We were most interested in hot water, plenty of room, low maintenance and inexpensive operation. This tub covers all those bases. I need to add the Saltron mini also, but we get in the tub almost every day so it isn't a huge deal. Yes, definitely need to be measuring acid, borax and bleach by the teaspoon, tablespoon or ounce. It doesn't take much at all to move the numbers in a 320 gallon tub.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.