Help! Ongoing metal (Iron) in water. Constant problem

Sep 14, 2015
Grapevine Texas
Hi,
Seems like this year it's an even bigger problem. I've tested the water and it's got plenty of chlorine. We've had a ton of rain this spring but still....I throw metal-free at it week in and week out, seems like the water clears up for about a week after adding the Metal Free. Then it turns green all over again about 10 days later. Any suggestions? For reference, the stuff I've been using is HTH metal and stain defense. That's the product that i've had success with last few years, but I literally have to keep adding it constantly.

Thanks for a great site!

Scott

Scott, the best defense against iron is fresh water replacement. When that isn't feasible, it's combination of:
- Pre-fill (from hose) and post-fill (skimmer) filtering with various products like towels, polyfill, etc to catch the iron.
- Ensuring the FC does not climb too high as required for your CYA. See FC/CYA Levels
- Maintaining a lower pH level
- ProTeam's Metal Magic and Jack's Magic the Pink Stuff (regular), the Blue Stuff (fresh plaster), and the Purple Stuff (SWG) are some of the top sequestrants. You can also find other brands with similar products, some of which are noticeably less expensive. Sequestrants based on HEDP, phosphonic acid, or phosphonic acid derivatives are the most effective.

Hope that helps.

Reactions: Tena
Thanks, it's a bigger issue this year due to all the runoff/rain we have had here in the Dallas area. My FC definitely climbed too high (my mistake).
Replacing the water isn't a real viable solution, but I wasn't aware that lowering the pH would help with the metal issue either. I need to watch my FC level more carefully.

Thanks a gon

Scott

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.