Help Needed to Review New Construction Schematic

Jun 2, 2016
Davis, CA
Hello,

My new Wilbar Intrepid 12' x 24' pool arrived a few days ago and I'm in the process of digging. I'm now at the stage where I need to carefully consider where to lay pipe, put in valves, T's, etc. I drafted what I think would be a good setup but would love if someone with experience could chime in and give feedback. The layout is a bit odd since space is tight and I am hoping to use my existing 2x20' solar panel that is on the complete opposite side of the pool as the new 2x12' panels I will be adding. For reference, the distance between the sets of solar panels is about 35 feet and the distance between the "T" separating the solar panels to the pump is about 25 feet. I'm uncertain whether I may need more check valves to prevent one set of solar panels from having a higher flow resistance than the other and potentially being inefficient? Any other advice about where you might put other valves (ball?) for maintenance, flow adjustment, etc would be appreciated. Schematic is attached along with pictures of the digging area and my digging buddies.

Thanks!PoolSchematicDraft1.jpgIMG_6195 - Copy (Large).jpgIMG_6197 - Copy (Large).jpg

Last edited:
I would put the skimmer and return at opposite ends of the pool. And put the skimmer where the prevailing wind blows towards the skimmer.

Putting the skimmer and return close to each other will give you a big dead area on the other end of the pool where you will little water circulation. Have the return push water from one side towards the skimmer.

I would put the skimmer and return at opposite ends of the pool. And put the skimmer where the prevailing wind blows towards the skimmer.

Putting the skimmer and return close to each other will give you a big dead area on the other end of the pool where you will little water circulation. Have the return push water from one side towards the skimmer.

Thanks ajw, I was planning to do that, but when I looked carefully over the instructions, they mention in all caps that "Skimmer and return slats must be installed in the first 4 to 5 feet" and that the "Skimmer and return must be separated by at least 3 regular slats but no more than 8 slats". Seems that's not an option on these mail-order style aluminum slat pools. Of course if anyone has successfully done this, I'm all ears!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.