Help me! Swamp...

Floc could also help speed up the process of the pool clearing up, but it shouldn't be added until the pool goes from green to blue and cloudy. It's not normally recommended because it can be tough to deal with, but it does work if used for the right purpose (clearing cloudy water.) It doesn't kill anything.

Right now you just need to keep the FC up and keep the walls clean, like others are saying.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

-Deep cleaning the filter-do not let any sand go down the tube in the middle of the filter so that means do not allow water to over flow from the filter into the pipe BUT you can put the hose into the filter and let it do some cleaning that way. I will tell you that the one time I did a deep clean I was careful enough and ended up unseating the pipe and laterals so had to take all of the sand out :( Use a shop vac to help IF you end up doing that OR be very careful and don't do it! LOL Learn from my mistakes.

Keep up the SLAM until the pool goes BLUE.....show us pics and we will let you know when you are ready to add the DE.

Kim:cat:

I'm happy you have progress. Testing and adding once per day is slowing you down. After your test kit arrives, will you increase that to two tests & adds a day please? If you are able to keep it at shock level more often it will get to cloudy blue in days! The shock level FC is what can really kill green, followed up by the sun breaking the left overs down, but it can only go as fast as you fuel it. Your dedication to brushing will pay off too.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, if you deep clean, push the hose down SLOWLY and gently... if you feel resistance, back up, move left or right two inches, try again. Since the laterals are like spokes, if you keep the hose closer to the outside at first you will run less risk of hitting one on your first few slow hose plunges.

Thank you very much! Testing twice a day will be difficult as I go to work very early. I can do that in the weekends though. The latest numbers from today are
TC 15
FC 15
PH 7.8
Cya 20
ALK 146

The water was getting light green and Cloudy so I put in the bottle of FLOC I already had to speed up the process( I know I cheated). It did clean the pool quite a lot ( see the pictures below) and I did vaccuum to waste. The residues in the floor are rust colored. Is it a special kind of algae( is this mustard algae?) or it is rust colored because we have a lot of iron in our water ?
1. I can see the bottom of the deep end now. Water still is greenish...but much better than when I started the SLAM. I wonder do I need to maintain Shock levels till it is totally blue ( that's what the SLAM tutorial says....) but it also says if you maintain high chlorine for long it can damage equipment....what do you guys suggest ?
2. Is it time to add DE now? Somebody mentioned I should not till the pool is green. But it is very light green now and I can see the bottom easily all over now.

3. To tell you guys the truth, I am nervous to try the deep clean...I am worried I will mess up the plumbing! The pressure in the sand filter has gone up by only 1 in the last 36 hours. In your opinions, how long should it take to go up by 25% at this stage ?

4. Why is my pH going up? Should I add muratic acid or wait till the SLAM is over?

Thank you for all your suggestions ... The support from the members here is really encouraging .... I have learnt more in one week than in the last 2 years of owning the pool.

- - - Updated - - -

image.jpgimage.jpg

Our recommended shock levels are not high enough to damage anything. Yes, keep SLAMing until you pass all 3 SLAM criteria. If pressure only went up 1% in 36 hours it is fine to try adding some DE. Keep an eye in the pressure gauge. The PH test is not accurate when FC is above 10 ppm.

Here is a guide on adding the DE, Pool School - Add DE to a Sand Filter

Thank you! Also, it is rust colored algae.... Is that mustard algae?

Our recommended shock levels are not high enough to damage anything. Yes, keep SLAMing until you pass all 3 SLAM criteria. If pressure only went up 1% in 36 hours it is fine to try adding some DE. Keep an eye in the pressure gauge. The PH test is not accurate when FC is above 10 ppm.

Here is a guide on adding the DE, Pool School - Add DE to a Sand Filter

You are close but still have some SLAMming to go.......we want that water clear like a jewel before you stop. The green water tells us there is still some algae in there. That stuff on the bottom is the dead algae. Get it up and out.

Yeah it is a pain but it is doable. Yours will take a little longer since you can only do limited testing. You really need to try for at least two times if not more. No it is not fun to pull the water in the morning but it will help speed up your SLAM.

For right now only test for FC. The others do not matter during the SLAM. You can do the CC test every once in a while to see how the SLAM is going but the FC is the main test.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks. But my FC has stayed pretty constant over the past 3 days at 15. And TC is 15 also ( which would make CC 0 right?).As per the chart, I need the FC of 10-11 per my CYA level of 20. Am I putting too much chlorine in ? ( I put 2 gallons of 10% liquid chlorine every day ) . should I cut down to 1 gallon a day as see if that brains that FC near the 10-11 level?
I am vacuuming and brushing every evening for 2 hours when I go home ! The improvement has been dramatic since I joined this forum..... Just want my pool to be blue and sparkly again! Pressure gauge is slowly going up .... Up to 24 from the clean pressure of 21. Will wait till it is 26 -27 before I backwash. Thinking of adding DE today to give the filter a boost!
Should I keep the automatic pool cover open or closed? Does sunlight kill the algae or make it grow faster. I know chlorine probably degrades faster in sunlight. Will keeping the pool covered decrease the degradation and make chlorine more effective ?
Thanks

You are close but still have some SLAMming to go.......we want that water clear like a jewel before you stop. The green water tells us there is still some algae in there. That stuff on the bottom is the dead algae. Get it up and out.

Yeah it is a pain but it is doable. Yours will take a little longer since you can only do limited testing. You really need to try for at least two times if not more. No it is not fun to pull the water in the morning but it will help speed up your SLAM.

For right now only test for FC. The others do not matter during the SLAM. You can do the CC test every once in a while to see how the SLAM is going but the FC is the main test.

TC is FC + CC.
Yes you are wasting bleach going that far over. Use this to determine how much, not just dumping blindly http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html
Cover, kind of depends on your CC. I would leave it off, let it breath and not worry too much about the sun. Get it to SLAM level after the sun is down, that way the FC can work in the dark all night.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.