Help id valve inputs/outputs and proper position?

dukehoops02

Mar 23, 2020
San Jose, CA
Howdy, campers:

I am a newbie pool owner and would really appreciate help with the following:
1) identifying labeled pipe sections on the attached pool equipment photo. In particular what are A, C, G, D, E, F?
2) Am I correct that A,C flow water *into* the equipment (from pool/spa) and D, E flow *out* of the equipment (ie to pool/spa)?
3) How should the two 3-way Jandy valves be positioned when we:
a) are not using either pool or spa
b) using spa only (with heater on)
c) using pool only (heater on or off)
d) using both spa and pool?
4) does my pump programming make sense (see below?)

Thank you!

Pool setup
Pool: 15'w x 40'l x (3-8)' deep; 25K gallons. One skimmer with Pentair Rebel attached. chlorine.
Attached spa: ~ 5x5x4

Pool programming
7-9AM: maintain 60 GPM (clean cycle)
9AM-7PM: maintain 38 GPM (filter cycle)

I estimate that the above turns over 120% of pool water daily

Pool equipment
Pentair IntelliFlo VSP; Clean & Clear 320 Cartridge Filter; 300 something Heater
Pool_equipment.jpg

Duke,

You are correct on the water flow.. I would assume that C and E are spa pipes, but only you can tell for sure, as there are no fixed way that they must be plumbed.

Normal valve positions for the pool mode is set up so that all the flow into the pump is from the pool and all the water going back after the heater is all going back to the pool.

Normal valve positions for the spa mode is set up so that all the flow into the pump is from the spa and all the water going back after the heater is all going back to the spa.

Assuming that your spa spills over into the pool, then..... Normal valve positions for the spillover mode is set up so that all the flow into the pump is from the pool and all the water going back after the heater is about 90% going back to the pool and about 10% going to the spa. This will cause the spa to overflow into the pool.

I think you are running your pump way too fast.. I run mine at about 1200 RPM...

You can run your pump however you want, but turnover's are a myth and there is just no reason to run the pump just to move X amount of water.

Thanks,

Jim R.

I don't know if turnover is a myth, the health department sure takes them seriously, but water moving through the filter and chemical feeder is definitely not. And, with a spa, you want good pressure out of the jets. It does not appear to have a secondary jet pump. A controller could be used to program pump speed for different functions such as filter or spa modes. That might save you a few $, but it will be years before that savings pays for the controller.

Jim answered about A, B, C, D, E.

F looks like a pressure side pipe that may have been for a future pressure side cleaner that was never installed.

G looks like a venturi air intake to provide some air bubbles to the spa jets.

I don't know if turnover is a myth, the health department sure takes them seriously, but water moving through the filter and chemical feeder is definitely not.

Read the link below for TFPs' view on pump runtime and the "turnover myth" Our focus is on residential pools. Health departments have their dated views and set standards for public pools with high bather loads that may not be the "best practice" for residential pools.

Thanks for your help so far, folks - really appreciate it.

Assuming that your spa spills over into the pool,
I suppose that's the case; pic: IMG_0344.jpg

I would assume that C and E are spa pipes, but only you can tell for sure, as there are no fixed way that they must be plumbed.
Right you are - i confirmed via experimentation.

Does the above mean that when nothing is in use, I should setup in *spillover mode* as defined above?

Lastly, when I tried setting , specifically when I tried switching intake valve from "both open" to "from pool only" (ie closed C) the pump RPMs shot up to 3K and pressure built from 11 -> 30 PSI at which point limiter kicked in. Seems bad ;- What could be the issue? I put the left valve back to "both open" and both pressure and RPMs dropped to ~ 10. I checked the skimmer and the Rebel cleaner - seem clean enough... Yet to rule out pool filter...

Duke,

Without an automation system, the best way to run is in the spillover mode.. That said, I would run the spillover as slow as possible.. You are just trying to keep the spa chlorinated.

I suggest that you run your pump in the RPM mode instead of the GPM mode. RPM = simple, GPM - not as simple.

If your pump increased in speed when you are in the pool mode, then than means it can't get enough water through the single pipe. Do you have a suction cleaner attached to the skimmer? If so, I suspect that is the issue. I gave up water powered cleaners about 15 years ago.. :mrgreen:

Thanks,

Jim R.

How many skimmers do you have?

Do you have a main drain?

Duke,

You do not have to have a main drain, but you most likely do.. I suspect that it is plumbed into the bottom of your skimmer. If so, and you are like most pools, it is not actively being used.

Do you have a drain grate in the bottom of the deep end?

Do you always use the skimmer to connect your vacuum? If so, how do you ever skim your pool?

Thanks,

Jim R.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Show us a pic of your skimmer with the basket in and the basket removed.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.