Help! I replaced a two-speed pump with a new Pentair - now my jandy iaqualink seems dead

Aug 21, 2018
Texas
Hi Guys
My diffuser in my old 2 speed pool pump died. So I wanted to replace the pump -- and quick so I went down to my local Leslie's and bought a Pentair 11056 VSF pump

I couldn't get a tech here to install it, so I decided to do it myself.

I have a iaqualink RS system and I figured I could just replace the 2 load lines with the new load lines from my Pentair...

I went ahead and removed the common wire that was going to the 2 stage pump relay... and removed the black wire from the 2 stage relay that went to the old 2 stage pump -- since the new pump isn't 2 stage, it only has 2 hots and a ground... vs. the old 2 stage which had 3 hots and a ground.

The other thing I did was change the DIP switch 2 to OFF (setting it to 1 stage vs 2 stage)

However, I didn't remove the 2-stage relay, just left it in.

So -- now after install, when I turn on my iaqualink ... I can access the control panel via the web/phone app ... however, nothing I turn on results in a relay clicking on.

No "life" to the new pump. No waterfall, no nothing.... Relays just don't seem to do anything.

Anyone have any idea what I could do to debug the situation? Or anyone ever have a issue like this before? ... perhaps my iaqualink died? ...which would be weird since I can access the webapp, and when I turn on pumps, or the waterfall, or lights .. the RED status light on the pump or light comes ON, but nothing happens ... like the relays are triggering.

Anyone have any advice?

Attachments

• after 1.jpg
    after 1.jpg
    409.1 KB · Views: 20
  • before 1.jpg
    before 1.jpg
    431.5 KB · Views: 15
There is kind of a lot to unravel here. First and foremost the vs pump should be hooked up to the line side and have constant power, the communication cable will turn it on and off. So you can have it hooked up to a breake(preferably recommend breaker)or line side of relay. You have a white wire on a 220 circuit that’s throwing me off and I can’t really see where it’s going. I could be wrong but even if the wiring was wrong you wouldn’t damage the board unless it was to the transformer(strictly relay miss wiring). I would also resync your wireless I’m guessing some of that connection was lost when the power was off. This dude is on point @ajw22

Please don’t take this as criticism, but a few zip ties binding lines and loads together and writing with a sharpie at the bottom inside where whips come in what they are will make it a little easier to follow. And make future diagnosis easier.

Hi Poolbreh -- thanks for the suggestions. This panel spaghetti situation comes from hiring pool help off craigslist... and he disappeared so now I have to trace everything. OK, so the power to the Pentair pump should be coming from the LINE, not LOAD?

Actually -- larger question... before with my 2 stage pump, I could set it high or low from my iaqualink... I'm guessing by your description that I can only turn it ON or OFF from iaqualink? ... I can't set it to run lower speed when the spa is on for instance -- is that right? ... if that's the case, maybe I should return it for just a new two-speed motor.... I really want to be able to control this thing from my phone, or at least have it run at a different power when I turn on/off the SPA ...

Could the fact that nothing comes on any longer possibly be a bad 50am breaker upstream in the panel? .. I'm going to check that tomorrow... then tomorrow my day is going to be cleaning up this mess and tracing everything... Thanks again Poolbreh for responding... :)

Fred

Yes, it’s always powered and and the communication cable will turn it off and on and adjust speeds through the settings. Unlike hard wired aux, the speeds will be controlled through the software and communication cable. What Jandy rs do you have? If you have iaqualink it should be compatible with the pump. Jandy was one of the first to make their automations compatible with other brand variable speeds. Do the other aux work from the inside controller or in service mode? I think the wireless just needs to be re synced. Some times it will look like it’s connected but the control panel won’t respond.

For the Aqualink to control a VS pump it needs to be Rev O or greater. Go to Diagnostics and see what Rev level you have.

Do you have a multimeter? Check for 240V power at the filter/pump relay and at the pump.

Do you have a SWG? What other equipment you have affects the way the pump should be wired.

Please create your signature with details of your pool and equipment.

Thanks all for replying... it looks like my 40AMP upstream breaker is bad ... it's a older Cutler Hammer 40amp 2pole breaker CH style, which the big box stores don't have in stock, so I had to order one... meanwhile I'll have my sump pump going 24x7 and dumping bleach everyday! ... I'll let ya all know what happens when I plug in the new breaker!

In the mean time you can work on connecting up the RS-485 communication cable between the pump and the Jandy RS system.

When you apply power to the pump it will not turn on like a conventional 2 speed pump. The pump on/off times will be controlled by the settings on the pumps controller.

If you have Rev O or later firmware in your Jandy system you can connect a two wire RS-485 cable between the pump and your Jandy system.

Then you can go into the Jandy web setup screen and choose the VSP pump setup and tell the Jandy system you have a Pentair VS pump and you can configure up to 8 different speeds depending on what the pump is running. See the iAquaLink 2.0 user manual as it has the most complete explanation of how the variable speed programming works.

See the Aqualink RS installation manual at the Jandy side for how to hook up wire the RS-485 connections. A RS-485 cable should be included with your new pump.

Mark

In the mean time you can work on connecting up the RS-485 communication cable between the pump and the Jandy RS system.

When you apply power to the pump it will not turn on like a conventional 2 speed pump. The pump on/off times will be controlled by the settings on the pumps controller.

If you have Rev O or later firmware in your Jandy system you can connect a two wire RS-485 cable between the pump and your Jandy system.

Then you can go into the Jandy web setup screen and choose the VSP pump setup and tell the Jandy system you have a Pentair VS pump and you can configure up to 8 different speeds depending on what the pump is running. See the iAquaLink 2.0 user manual as it has the most complete explanation of how the variable speed programming works.

See the Aqualink RS installation manual at the Jandy side for how to hook up wire the RS-485 connections. A RS-485 cable should be included with your new pump.

Mark
Hi Mark
Yes I already wired that ... thank you for proactively mentioning this... that is why this website ROCKS... people like you here... (thank you)

I went ahead and rewired the panel, I removed the extra hot completely that was running to the old 2 stage motor, but I left the 2 stage relay in the box ... for some reason, it seems to be attached to my GFCI outlet, so I figure the less I muck with the better... basically, I have a Salt generator, heater, booster pump, waterfall pump all setup in this panel, and I just removed the old pump wires and put BOTH 240V HOTS on the LINE side of the Filter Pump Relay Switch... I hope that should work...

Question - since I can't find a double pole 40 amp breaker (CH type) in the big box stores .. can't I use 2 single pole 20amp breakers for now to test it with? ... with the expectation of replacing the single poles with the dual pole breaker when it comes in next week? ... yes, they won't break together in case of a problem, but I could use it for 15 mins to just test the 240V power to the pool pump, and make sure I wired it correctly.

Any thoughts?

Fred

Where do you have a 40 amp breaker? Two single pole 20 amp breakers do not equal a 40 amp breaker. A 40 amp dual pole breaker has 40 amps capacity on each side.

Show us some pics of your breakers and electrical panel.

Is your pump CB GFCI?

Was your old pump 120V?

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Where do you have a 40 amp breaker? Two single pole 20 amp breakers do not equal a 40 amp breaker. A 40 amp dual poel breaker has 40 amps capacity on each side.

Show us some pics of your breakers and electrical panel.

Is your pump CB GFCI?

Was your old pump 120V?

you are correct, Putting two 20 amp breakers in parallel will not make a 40 amp breaker because the load will not be balanced between the two breakers. The pair will probably allow more that 20 amps but because there will be a little difference in the current though each breaker, the total will not be 40 amps.

So, I'll just wait until Sunday until the new breaker comes in.

The main panel has 40A bi-pole breaker that powers the Aqualink RS panel.

The breaker was BAD ... so I removed it...

My new pump is the same pump you have - IntelliFlo 011056 VSF pump

I have a hayward heater, and a Jandy 1400 salt generator...

Thanks for helping me... I've been shown to return 2x Karma - so thank you kindly.

Fred

Attachments

• before 1.jpg
    before 1.jpg
    431.5 KB · Views: 5
  • after 1.jpg
    after 1.jpg
    409.1 KB · Views: 5
Reactions: Poolbreh
Hi Everyone
So I replaced the 40amp TWO POLE breaker with a new one, and I wired the new Pentair Pump to the Load Inputs of the relay, and it seems to work great, so that seems to have been the issue.

Just wanted to thank everyone here for helpful tips ... and I guess the lesson here is when replacing a pool pump, perhaps the more AMPs could cause an upstream breaker in the main panel to blow .. well at least in my case only 1 seemed to blow, so the iaqualink RS panel was coming on, but nothing was working because the upstream power supply was deficient...

Thank you all!

Fred

Reactions: Poolbreh
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.